R16 - Port v WWT Eagles @ Alberton

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R16 - Port v WWT Eagles @ Alberton

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:12 pm

went to my 1st SANFL match for the year today.
Very impressed with the heart and passion that the Maggies showed today.
Completely dominated the game from the start.
Good skills for the most part by both sides, difference being the Eagles just couldnt finish off their attacking moves.
Disappointed to see the umpires umpiring to the same HTB interpretation as their AFL counterparts. Several times players having NO prior opportunity and NO hope of getting rid of it were pinged. Its just a BS rule that has no right to be in the game.
On the catering side of things, there's NO doubt that the catering at most Country venues crap all over SANFL venues for price and quality !!!!!! :oops:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Just a question JPJ.
You did say this was your first SANFL game for the year. Aren't you therefore basing that comparison on your experience with Alberton catering rather than the SANFL as a whole?
I honestly couldn't tell you how Unley catering goes against country footy, having not attended a country match for 25 years, but we tend to have a good variety of stuff.
I do hear good reports of the standard of the BBQs at Noarlunga and Richmond also.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:38 pm

therisingblues wrote:Just a question JPJ.
You did say this was your first SANFL game for the year. Aren't you therefore basing that comparison on your experience with Alberton catering rather than the SANFL as a whole?
I honestly couldn't tell you how Unley catering goes against country footy, having not attended a country match for 25 years, but we tend to have a good variety of stuff.
I do hear good reports of the standard of the BBQs at Noarlunga and Richmond also.

Fair point.
Being from the country i usually only go to 1 or 2 SANFL games a year.
Alberton catering = ordinary

Agree with Noarlunga, Have had a few mates play with South over the years and been there a few times and i definitely enjoyed the BBQ there :D
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:51 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

Fair point.

Agree with Noarlunga, Have had a few mates play with South over the years and been there a few times and i definitely enjoyed the BBQ there :D

Nah have to agree the Alberton BBQ is not as good as it once was. People running it are nice enough but I suspect their hands are being severely tied by the paid staff from the Port Club. I've also had them tell me when it rains on match days they have OH&S issues as well. Not ideal for volunteers.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:47 am

Albertons BBQ has been the worst comfortably for quite a long time.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:34 am

heater31 wrote:I've also had them tell me when it rains on match days they have OH&S issues as well. Not ideal for volunteers.

Not ideal for the club if someone gets electrocuted.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 am

Port were impressive,and the Eagles were far from impressive.

Port's press and spread was too much for the Eagles to handle. It looked like the Eagles tried to defend man on man which is just too difficult against a side that spreads so well, its just too taxing to try and defend man on man, far better off just defending an area. First time I had seen Port this year so im not sure if its one out the box or whether they just had a stronger side in, but they looked far better than what their previous results had shown..

Eagles looked stagnant once again. One paced. Rowntree being a few weeks away from a league return is a good sign, Sinor continues to bang the door down, hes wasted in the twos. Appleton is another that could come in, but we seem to be shuffling the same blokes, and they are similar type players. Hopefully yesterday can be put down to just a bad day at the office
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:55 am

Wedgie wrote:Albertons BBQ has been the worst comfortably for quite a long time.

The bowling club pasties are the best in the business, $4.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:05 am

Port matched the Eagles in the air with Lobbe and Frampton beating Redden and Borholm.

Butcher and Reynolds made space, kicked goals and Reynolds in particular is a natural forward who just knows where to be at the right time. O'Shea, Rudloff and Sharrod controlled half back and Summerton, Polec, Toumpas and Bonner were all good.

If not for Boyd and Allmond the margin would have been much bigger.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:55 am

jackpot jim wrote:

Fair point.

Thanks for that.
Might have to get along to a country league game and try some of the food. Hills league is not bad is it?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Oh, and this was the first time I'd seen Wundke in the flesh this year. Kudos to the man, he gives anyone of a portly disposition reason to be optimistic, perhaps top level sport isn't beyond us. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:19 pm

He is living up to his 'Big boy' name. But he is a 3 time Ken Farmer medallist so he has the runs on the board. Port fans were original on the weekend offering him Pies at half time as he is walking off the ground, that wouldn't have happened often.. Imagine if your Full Forward could kick like him, he could actually have made something of his career
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:23 pm

human_torpedo wrote:He is living up to his 'Big boy' name. But he is a 3 time Ken Farmer medallist so he has the runs on the board. Port fans were original on the weekend offering him Pies at half time as he is walking off the ground, that wouldn't have happened often.. Imagine if your Full Forward could kick like him, he could actually have made something of his career

If he didn't take up the offer of the pies so often he might be on $200,000 per year himself. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:24 pm

human_torpedo wrote:He is living up to his 'Big boy' name. But he is a 3 time Ken Farmer medallist so he has the runs on the board. Port fans were original on the weekend offering him Pies at half time as he is walking off the ground, that wouldn't have happened often.. Imagine if your Full Forward could kick like him, he could actually have made something of his career

Works both ways, I always thought Wundke could have made something of himself at the highest level if he'd perhaps worked a bit harder, and improved his conditioning (at least that's how it appears to me from the outside, might not be that simple)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:28 pm

Booney wrote:Oh, and this was the first time I'd seen Wundke in the flesh this year. Kudos to the man, he gives anyone of a portly disposition reason to be optimistic, perhaps top level sport isn't beyond us. :lol:

Maybe he likes the Alberton Bowling club pasties[emoji1]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:30 pm

JK wrote:

Works both ways, I always thought Wundke could have made something of himself at the highest level if he'd perhaps worked a bit harder, and improved his conditioning (at least that's how it appears to me from the outside, might not be that simple)

Course it's not that bloody simple. If there's a pie in front of you you're going to eat it, right? His mother might be a really good cook, and he might be addicted to bread and butter pudding. We shouldn't assume these athletes aren't fighting battles of their own!

;)
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:34 pm

therisingblues wrote:
JK wrote:

Course it's not that bloody simple. If there's a pie in front of you you're going to eat it, right? His mother might be a really good cook, and he might be addicted to bread and butter pudding. We shouldn't assume these athletes aren't fighting battles of their own!

;)

:lol:

"Athlete"
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Booney wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
JK wrote:

;)

:lol:

"Athlete"

Perhaps 'sportsman' is a more appropriate term.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:38 pm

therisingblues wrote:
JK wrote:

;)

What if there's no sauce? So many possibilities ..
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Probably not far off the mark really. But he has certainly made the most of his SANFL career. To be honest im just sick of hearing the some old abuse each week directed at him, some of what I saw yesterday was nothing short of disgraceful. You cant target someone for their sexuality, race or mental health issues (all of which I agree with btw) but you can hurl as much abuse for someone being overweight just because they are playing football. Its pathetic. Even more pathetic was when challenged about it by an Eagles players parent the bloke went to water and folded like a deck of cards. The type of hero who can spray someone whilst protected by a fence. Disgraceful
Last edited by human_torpedo on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL