SANFL ROUND 15

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL ROUND 15

Postby Grenville » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 pm

southernbulldog wrote:With you Groucho i had an argument with a fellow Centrals supporter
during the reserves game against Glenelg about the same thing
his response was everyone else plays that way i made mention i dont give a stuff
how others play why do we need to do the same.

Couldn't agree more, that style of footy does not work for us. We play best when thumping the ball forward quickly to a contest and running hard up the lines. It's predictable but effective and puts the onus on the players to have a crack and be accountable. Criss crossing the ball is just a deadset recipe for disaster for us, we are awful at it.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 pm

As supporters we have said this all along pity the stubbornness
of the coaching panel hasnt seen the same thing didnt the point of getting
a full forward if we werent going to use him.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:56 pm

Style of play is an interesting talking point that now has more layers than ever before. If the SANFL clubs were to revert to some hybrid form of positional football; how would that fare against the AFL reserve teams?

Now more than ever are we keeping up with the interlopers?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:12 am

Why the yellow ball at Alberton?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:24 am

Dutchy wrote:Why the yellow ball at Alberton?
2.40 pm start.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Grenville wrote:
locky801 wrote:Final score

Central 9.15

North 8.9

The only true loser from this game was Australian Rules Football. Horrible game, both teams were shithouse.

I take it no-one won the $2,000 up for grabs for 2,300-plus crowd?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:

Central 9.15

North 8.9

The only true loser from this game was Australian Rules Football. Horrible game, both teams were shithouse.

Crowd was 1514.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Grenville » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why the yellow ball at Alberton?

Jaundice
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Grenville » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:

Central 9.15

North 8.9

Was never in doubt my Portuguese comrade.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Magellan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:

Central 9.15

North 8.9

Was never in doubt my Portuguese comrade.

Yep, I figured as much.

Does it jackpot at the next home ground game at the Ponderosa? Now there's an idea.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Port vs South - 1,560
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby GMcG » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:49 am

Grenville wrote:

Central 9.15

North 8.9

I left at half time, can't watch this style of footy. Booooooooooring. Didn't Collins introduce this?
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 am

Crossy giving the finger to the bowling club. Mate, when the natives of the Alberton Bowling Club are getting under your skin you need to toughen up, just a little.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Style of play is an interesting talking point that now has more layers than ever before. If the SANFL clubs were to revert to some hybrid form of positional football; how would that fare against the AFL reserve teams?

Now more than ever are we keeping up with the interlopers?

I'd love to see some traditional positional footy because (a) its the way the game was designed to be played, and thus (b) the game would be more entertaining, and (c) as you suggest PP it would provide an interesting tactical counter to the congested style of play that is currently in vogue - not just with respect to the AFL reserves sides. You just need a coach with the balls to propose something innovative. Certainly those clubs with coaches out of the AFL system and looking for an opportunity to make their name as a coach (Hocking, Carr, Cornes, and O'Keeffe for example) are unlikely to do so since they need to demonstrate they can achieve success under current approach to coaching in the AFL. Also, I'm not sure how much genuine lateral thinking goes on in footy departments. Rather than try to defeat a particular style of game with an alternative method, the approach seems to be to take the same approach and hope you can execute it better than the opposition.
Magellan
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:57 am

Good comment Mag.
IMHO this painful game plan is nearing the end of it's time.
I reckon an eastern club is looking to score 100 points every week,
a clever coach looking to the future.
I love the old maxim 'first to 100 points wins'.
It will take time to evolve back to free scoring week in week out but it will happen.
I thought it would be more evident this year though.
Followers just love high scoring games,goodness me the comp needs more supporters to turn up.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stampy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am

SABRE wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:Kicking straight would be nice ..
Also be nice if the protected ones could stop milking the umps, but we know that would never happen

We have missed several easy chances but these umpires are a deadset cheating disgrace

Agreed gentlemen, there were some absolute howlers. As usual.
After another drubbing in the free kicks department (Eagles 35 - Norwood 19) is it time to start asking a few questions ?
Is the only certainty in football that the Eagles get more frees? If so, why?

Under the current administration at League headquarters, can anyone remember their club playing a match against
the Eagles and actually getting more frees than them? I'll be buggered if I can remember a game where Norwood got
anywhere near their frees. Is there a serious pattern forming against the other clubs as well? I'm just asking.

The official statistics could provide very interesting reading over a number of years. Maybe even enough evidence to
pin point and eradicate ALL the guilty parties. I have no doubt Eagles supporters also expect total fairness and
transparency at all levels.

C'mon SANFL ........ PLEASE EXPLAIN !!!

In the meantime, I reckon someone somewhere must have some extremely disturbing photos of debauched
individuals performing unnatural acts with animals. Maggots perhaps ?
;)
Luv,
Sabre.

i have been saying this for the last couple of seasons, the differential in freekicks with the eagles is bizarre, dont try and discuss it with mickyj though as he will rip your head off at the very mention of it
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby nolongerthere » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:56 pm

i returned to SA 3 years ago after 35 years, back then i would go to footy every Saturday, since being back i have been to 2 games, why does the SANFL have byes in a 10 team comp, dont make sense, stuffed if i will go to and watch footy with the way its structured now.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte
nolongerthere

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby northerner » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:29 pm

stampy wrote:
SABRE wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:Kicking straight would be nice ..
Also be nice if the protected ones could stop milking the umps, but we know that would never happen

We have missed several easy chances but these umpires are a deadset cheating disgrace

Agreed gentlemen, there were some absolute howlers. As usual.
After another drubbing in the free kicks department (Eagles 35 - Norwood 19) is it time to start asking a few questions ?
Is the only certainty in football that the Eagles get more frees? If so, why?

Under the current administration at League headquarters, can anyone remember their club playing a match against
the Eagles and actually getting more frees than them? I'll be buggered if I can remember a game where Norwood got
anywhere near their frees. Is there a serious pattern forming against the other clubs as well? I'm just asking.

The official statistics could provide very interesting reading over a number of years. Maybe even enough evidence to
pin point and eradicate ALL the guilty parties. I have no doubt Eagles supporters also expect total fairness and
transparency at all levels.

C'mon SANFL ........ PLEASE EXPLAIN !!!

In the meantime, I reckon someone somewhere must have some extremely disturbing photos of debauched
individuals performing unnatural acts with animals. Maggots perhaps ?
;)
Luv,
Sabre.

i have been saying this for the last couple of seasons, the differential in freekicks with the eagles is bizarre, dont try and discuss it with mickyj though as he will rip your head off at the very mention of it

This season the Eagles have 301 frees for to 244 against. Ave of 23.1 FF and 18.7 FA........ they have only ever had less frees than their opponents twice this season, ironically both occasions were against North.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby therisingblues » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Just on the Eagles free kick thing. Couldn't it be that they play a more umpire friendly style of game? I didn't see the last Sturt Eagles game so I don't have any fresh memories of them, but it seems a stretch that the umpires love them because they are the Eagles.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:06 pm

therisingblues wrote:Just on the Eagles free kick thing. Couldn't it be that they play a more umpire friendly style of game? I didn't see the last Sturt Eagles game so I don't have any fresh memories of them, but it seems a stretch that the umpires love them because they are the Eagles.

They've won 13 of 15 this year, 14 of 18 last year, 16 of 18 the year before...maybe they just get to the ball first?

Having said that, Woodville Oval is an unhappy hunting ground for my lot and we always get crucified by the maggots there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL