NAFC "Football Department Review"

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: NAFC "Football Department Review"

Postby Magellan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am

Pseudo wrote:Perhaps the secret to emulating Sturt's mediocrity of the nineties is to recruit people with grandiose nicknames?

Don't forget Stephen Trigg...The Teachor.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mots02 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Magellan wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Perhaps the secret to emulating Sturt's mediocrity of the nineties is to recruit people with grandiose nicknames?

He was your Steven Trigg before he become ours
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Wedgie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm

mots02 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

He was Centrals before he became ours, the guy wanted a flag, who could blame him. Almost got one too but Wayne Slattery snuck in for Jason Roe's spot. Turned out in the end I could have taken that last spot and still had an easy win.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Wedgie wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

He was Centrals before he became ours, the guy wanted a flag, who could blame him. Almost got one too but Wayne Slattery snuck in for Jason Roe's spot. Turned out in the end I could have taken that last spot and still had an easy win.

Yep, direct all complaints about Trigg to the Bulldogs. ;)

I think Slattery played in the the second semi final against Norwood. Roe and Trigg (suspended and dropped respectively) were replaced by Michael Armfield and Peter Simmons. Wedgie apparently came very close to selection except for a trip to Thailand ruling him out.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 pm

I thought he had a shitty stomach was the reason for not making selection?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby robranisgod » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Magellan wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Magellan wrote:Don't forget Stephen Trigg...The Teachor.

Yep, direct all complaints about Trigg to the Bulldogs. ;)

I think Slattery played in the the second semi final against Norwood. Roe and Trigg (suspended and dropped respectively) were replaced by Michael Armfield and Peter Simmons. Wedgie apparently came very close to selection except for a trip to Thailand ruling him out.

You are right Slattery and Trigg were on the Interchange Bench in the 1987 Second Semi Final. Trigg didn't get a run during the game (how times have changed with interchange). Jason Roe had a poor game in the second semi and may have been dropped if he hadn't been suspended for attempting to strike Mark Ducker. Peter Simmons came in for Jason Roe and played a superb game in the Grand Final. Michael Armfield came in for Trigg, an odd selection given that Trigg did nothing wrong in the second semi. Armfield only got a run in the last 10 minutes or so, but he will always be a premiership player
Trigg was certainly available for Grand Final selection. On Grand Final night when the players were interviewed at Prospect he let it be known that he wasn't happy about missing selection.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby therisingblues » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:27 am

Trigg then got his revenge on Nunan, by royally ******* up the club he came from.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Philby Ramone » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:42 am

Trigg. I first came across him in 78 or 79. Cant exactly recall. He was playing footy for Saints 1st XVIII (rah rah rah, we’re going to smash the oiks) and I was playing for Adelaide High (the “wogs and dagoes” as Pulteney Coach Mike Coward called us in 77). My mate went up against him in a ruck duel and broke Triggs collarbone (i think). Nothing malicious, just one of those footy things. Trigg had just started playing a few league games when this happened, so it set him back a bit.

I don’t know him from a bar of soap so haven’t got anything to say about him. Just thought I’d share that story.
Philby Ramone
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Grenville » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Philby Ramone wrote:Trigg. I first came across him in 78 or 79. Cant exactly recall. He was playing footy for Saints 1st XVIII (rah rah rah, we’re going to smash the oiks) and I was playing for Adelaide High (the “wogs and dagoes” as Pulteney Coach Mike Coward called us in 77). My mate went up against him in a ruck duel and broke Triggs collarbone (i think). Nothing malicious, just one of those footy things. Trigg had just started playing a few league games when this happened, so it set him back a bit.

I don’t know him from a bar of soap so haven’t got anything to say about him. Just thought I’d share that story.

Any story involving the wounding of Saint Stephen is welcome.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL