SANFL Finals Week 3- Preliminary Final Week.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Finals Week 3- Preliminary Final Week.

Postby JK » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Mic wrote:
JK wrote:Urgh this won't be easy .. Well done Sturt, fantastic side and great win again. Gives the neutrals the preferred GF matchup too

A preferred matchup would be between 2 SANFL clubs.

Yep, but given the side that was already through ...
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Geezus, has any other team won 3 minor premierships in a row and not won a flag?

Have the Eagles surpassed the Bays when it comes to choking in big games?

16 times they have finished in the top 3 for 3 flags. Not a great record.
Since their last flag they have finished top 2 in 4 of those 6 years and only have 2 losing GF's to show for it and are 2-8 in finals

Is it time for Godden to move on? On that record it would seem he has the talent to get them to the finals, but perhaps his game style isn't suited to winning grand finals?? Admittedly I don't get the chance to watch a lot of SANFL so would be interested to hear from some Eagles fans about it. Must be bloody frustrating.

Reckon Godden could be compared to Chris Scott from Geelong. Got a flag early in their careers, and since then their finals records have been terrible. Agree with previous comment that they over achieved with their list finishing Minor Premiers after losing so many players, but their last six weeks have still been horrid.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:30 pm

It was a strong 4-5 goal breeze heading towards the Riverbank Stand end. The Eagles inability to use the breeze cost them. For both of those quarters (1st and 3rd) Wundke started on the bench and it wasn't until after 10 minutes in that he made his way inside 50. Whilst I think he is just about done, that is ridiculous coaching to have your main power forward miss out on over a third of the game kicking with the breeze. For both of those quarters the Eagles had 4 forwards vs 6 Sturt defenders. That is another area of the game Godden could control, but his structures cost the Eagles and those structures have in pretty much every major game the Eagles have played for the last 6 seasons.

The Eagles tried hard, but not good enough. Lukosious was brilliant in his first game, I though Sinor was very good and Johanessen stood out also.

The big name players that Godden attracted to the club ultimately didn't work out. Wundke, Stewart and Lewis all look done. Little things like Stewart not chasing and Petrenko not putting his hands up on the mark when a player was kicking for goal from 50m illustrated the Eagles were not doing everything that is needed at this time of year, when only performances above and beyond get rewarded.

A resigned feeling more than disappointment for mine. As much for this game as the competition as a whole coming in to next week. Well done Sturt and good luck next week.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Would love to see Sturt get up over Port Power.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Tiger83 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Gozu wrote:Would love to see Sturt get up over Port Power.

Wouldn't everyone but Port fans???
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Geezus, has any other team won 3 minor premierships in a row and not won a flag?

Have the Eagles surpassed the Bays when it comes to choking in big games?

16 times they have finished in the top 3 for 3 flags. Not a great record.
Since their last flag they have finished top 2 in 4 of those 6 years and only have 2 losing GF's to show for it and are 2-8 in finals

It is a horrific record. Was rectified somewhat after two straight GF wins in 06 and 11, but since then and Fuller's era have been so close, yet so far. At least with Fuller it was usually coming up underdogs against that Central era and the footy played was generally good to watch (besides the Grand Finals).
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Corona Man » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Looks like Hone had a good game..
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby LMA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 pm

No chance, I think they'll beat Port Magpies though
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Mic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:58 pm

LMA wrote:

Sturt are a top 8 side though.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby LMA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Mic wrote:
LMA wrote:

For a SANFL thread you guys are sure obsessed with the AFL
LMA
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:18 pm

LMA wrote:
Mic wrote:
LMA wrote:

1/5 th of the clubs and 5/5ths of the reason the SANFL are a complete farce are AFL. It'd be ignorant not to talk about it in SANFL threads.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rush a Point » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:19 pm

The Eagles style of football just does not stand up in Finals Football. They chip the ball across HB and then turn it over.

The selections in the finals, were staggering to say the least. Last week against Port they had no tall forward to kick to. Today, you would have thought they would play 2 ruckman. But no. They don't have key targets to kick to. Blame the Coach and Football Director for the lack of recruiting.

In the last 1/4 today when the Eagles needed to get the ball off Sturt, they played a zone. For F..K sake, play man on man.

The Caoch has run his race. Leave with some dignity as a Premiership Coach. The club cannot keep dishing up the same crap. I said whilst watching the last minor round game that we would go out in straight sets, because we can't kick a score.

Unless something changes, I will not renew my membership after 45 years, because I am sick of insipid performances. Please do something positive.

The only good thing today, was we saw the birth of a star, destined for big things in the AFL.

Pull your finger out Board and Management or you have lost me forever.
Rush a Point

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby wedgetail » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Bitterly disappointing to go out in straight sets but would have taken 3rd at he start of the year with our list.
Gifted sturt too many goals due to skill errors and on-ball division not big or strong enough.
Godden won't be going anywhere and is committed to the club and going forward. He will continue to promote from within which is commendable but at the moment that doesn't quite compete with the big body recruits sturt have bought in from other clubs.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby LMA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:
LMA wrote:

1/5 th of the clubs and 5/5ths of the reason the SANFL are a complete farce are AFL. It'd be ignorant not to talk about it in SANFL threads.

The SANFL has become a farce not due to the AFL but due to the lack of retaining players from playing Ammo's or Country. There's no way in hell that Port or Adelaide's B grade would of got anywhere near the top clubs 10 years ago.
LMA
Coach

Postby PhilH » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 pm

I am really beginning to dislike watching SANFL at Adelaide Oval ... spend 8 quarters today watching Eagles get beat by Sturt ... urghhhh

Minor round again defied the doubters but finals .... urghhhhh

Given the youngsters brought through in 2017 and a strong U18 contingent this summer should be more settled squad wise than the last .. so I expect the Eagles of 2018 to again be good .... but only great (in the big games) wins a flag,

Congrats to the Double Blues ... after a 0-4 start you have been the most consistent team of the competition and deserve your place to defend your title.

All the best representing the SANFL against the merged Magpies.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Aerie wrote:It was a strong 4-5 goal breeze heading towards the Riverbank Stand end. The Eagles inability to use the breeze cost them. For both of those quarters (1st and 3rd) Wundke started on the bench and it wasn't until after 10 minutes in that he made his way inside 50. Whilst I think he is just about done, that is ridiculous coaching to have your main power forward miss out on over a third of the game kicking with the breeze. For both of those quarters the Eagles had 4 forwards vs 6 Sturt defenders. That is another area of the game Godden could control, but his structures cost the Eagles and those structures have in pretty much every major game the Eagles have played for the last 6 seasons.

The Eagles tried hard, but not good enough. Lukosious was brilliant in his first game, I though Sinor was very good and Johanessen stood out also.

The big name players that Godden attracted to the club ultimately didn't work out. Wundke, Stewart and Lewis all look done. Little things like Stewart not chasing and Petrenko not putting his hands up on the mark when a player was kicking for goal from 50m illustrated the Eagles were not doing everything that is needed at this time of year, when only performances above and beyond get rewarded.

A resigned feeling more than disappointment for mine. As much for this game as the competition as a whole coming in to next week. Well done Sturt and good luck next week.

Sturt a worthy Grand Finalist made easier for them by the fact they were playing a club with the heart the size of a pea.

To address over Summer:

1. Recruit a ruckman who can get their hands to the ball so our midfielders have a chance to get the ball of out centre
2. Somehow get hold of a long kicking midfielder who can punch the ball forward accurately, low and hard.
3. Do not ever play J Hayes as a backup ruckman. He plays as a tall forward where he can be allowed to develop or he doesn't play at all.
4. Work on footskills. They are simply appalling.
5. Retire 3-4 of the main players who have a history of letting us down in big games.
6. For god sake change the gameplan. Godden seems to be playing a style that Bassett deployed successfully 4-5 years ago. Teams have moved on from that.
7. Recruit a player or players that will allow us to kick more than 6-7 goals per match ffs.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:59 pm

wedgetail wrote:Bitterly disappointing to go out in straight sets but would have taken 3rd at he start of the year with our list.
Gifted sturt too many goals due to skill errors and on-ball division not big or strong enough.
Godden won't be going anywhere and is committed to the club and going forward. He will continue to promote from within which is commendable but at the moment that doesn't quite compete with the big body recruits sturt have bought in from other clubs.

I agree that at the start of the year i would have taken 3rd spot given the amount of players we lost . BUT we did finish minor premiers and for that we should be incredibly p!ssed that we didn't even given a whimper at the start of the year.

Agreed our onball division is pretty small. Poole, Boyd, Johannson would be lucky to push 170cm. Good players but we can't have too many of these types. Through McGregor into that and you have another <170cm player on the park. Add to that Hall, Commitogiani who don't go in hard.......leave us only with Petrenko and Lewis, the latter who is in the death throes of his career.

Who are the big bodied recruits that Sturt have brought in from other clubs? I can't really recall them forking out $$ for any types who have become match-winners. You could perhaps argue that Beard is one. But we brought in Wundke a few years ago.

Ignoring the efforts of Lukusious today (who we will only see for 1 more year before he goes to the AFL) I'm very concerned that our 'talent' that we have promoted and blooded this year from the Reserves is not up to it yet we will persist with them for the next few years which will be problematic. I'd much prefer them bringing in some of raw talent from the U18s.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby wedgetail » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
wedgetail wrote:Bitterly disappointing to go out in straight sets but would have taken 3rd at he start of the year with our list.

I agree that at the start of the year i would have taken 3rd spot given the amount of players we lost . BUT we did finish minor premiers and for that we should be incredibly p!ssed that we didn't even given a whimper at the start of the year.

Agreed our onball division is pretty small. Poole, Boyd, Johannson would be lucky to push 170cm. Good players but we can't have too many of these types. Through McGregor into that and you have another <170cm player on the park. Add to that Hall, Commitogiani who don't go in hard.......leave us only with Petrenko and Lewis, the latter who is in the death throes of his career.

Who are the big bodied recruits that Sturt have brought in from other clubs? I can't really recall them forking out $$ for any types who have become match-winners. You could perhaps argue that Beard is one. But we brought in Wundke a few years ago.

Ignoring the efforts of Lukusious today (who we will only see for 1 more year before he goes to the AFL) I'm very concerned that our 'talent' that we have promoted and blooded this year from the Reserves is not up to it yet we will persist with them for the next few years which will be problematic. I'd much prefer them bringing in some of raw talent from the U18s.

Just off the top of my head, Kirkwood, Wilson, McMahon, Riley (unsure if he was sturt before crows).
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:43 pm

wedgetail wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

Just off the top of my head, Kirkwood, Wilson, McMahon, Riley (unsure if he was sturt before crows).

Think Sturt have been very selective in their recruiting, picked up several Port players when they all had to leave Port, guys with good characters and good blokes.

Eagles on the other hand pick up the complete opposite in Jake Johansen, a little "cancer" on the teams he plays for and someone who will never be a part of a Premiership.

Feel for all the Eagles supporters what has happened last three years, but could not stand seeing Johansen or Kurt Slaven enjoying any success!

Hope Sturt get the job done next week, have done a great job as a Club over last few years turning it all around.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby bulldogproud » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Magellan wrote:
Pseudo wrote:After that result he's no doubt feeling a bit sourdough.

I did see him crack a rye smile late in the last quarter.

Will see him eating Pies next week rather than playing them.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL