INS and OUTS for 2019

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

Postby therisingblues » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 pm

DOC wrote:
Brett wrote:What a South supporter commenting on this thread whingeing ? If so start a new topic. Very related obviously.

AS a WWT supporter Brett, what would your take be?

They'd take them to court, obviously! :lol:
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby DOC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Graham Cornes: The AFL is sinking its boot into SANFL, state, suburban and country leagues

FOR all the great things the AFL has done, and continues to do, its policy makers make some really dumb decisions.

It is such a professional organization that understands in this 21st century it must lead the social agenda and set an example for a new generation of young Australians. As such it has become more than a sports organization.

Whilst it is intended to be apolitical it has an enormous impact on political and social agenda. In that regard it is not unlike Ireland’s Gaelic Athletic Association, which emerged from the sectarian violence of last century, and now merges with and impacts on the politics of the day.

However the AFL, which has the capacity to show and demand so much community understanding and compassion, is completely heartless and ignorant of the pressures of running local state, suburban and country leagues. The decision to introduce a mid-season draft defies all reason and common sense. And if a mid-year draft is bad enough, they are allowing their clubs to claim players from local leagues now, when the season is just weeks away.

The Sydney Swans this week ripped Hayden McLean out of South Adelaide before the Panthers new recruit had played a game. There had been some significant expense in bringing McLean from Melbourne, where he had played for Sandringham in the VFL, and getting him settled in Adelaide.

Hayden McLean was ripped from South Adelaide before playing a game and is off to Sydney. Picture: Tricia Watkinson
When asked about compensation, and the money that had already been paid to the young footballer, the Swans said heartlessly, “You’ll have to get that from the player”.

South Adelaide chairperson Margaret Nyland AM, expressed her exasperation: “Well what are we going to say to the young man? We can’t ask him to re-imburse us.”

Indeed, but the AFL should ensure Sydney does.

No-one should deny a young footballer one more opportunity to make it in the big league. They may have been overlooked in previous drafts but young footballers can continue to dream.

Just occasionally one of them emerges from the gloom of disappointment that comes with having been ignored, unappreciated or rejected and cements a spot in an AFL team.

Continue to dream young man.

However, the statistics are cruel. The AFL used to have a mid-season draft. A few players, like Matthew Febey who joined his twin brother at Melbourne and Daryn Cresswell who played 244 games for Sydney, made it, but overwhelmingly the majority of players taken in the mid-year draft played zero games!

The first draft the Adelaide Crows were allowed to enter was the mid-year draft of 1992 - in the club’s second season. We eagerly participated, selecting Jim West, a Glenelg player who had been at Sydney, Alan Schwartz, from Woodville-West Torrens who had been with Essendon and Andrew Geddes from Strathmerton in country Victoria.

Unfortunately none of them played a game for the Crows although all went on to have productive careers in the SANFL. Other than the fact that it got West and Schwartz back home to Adelaide, it all seemed so pointless. Don’t fill today’s mid-season draft prospects with the same false promises.

Unwittingly however, the experience of James West and Alan Schwartz should be the template by which any mid-season AFL player movement should be established. By all means allow players to move between AFL clubs before a pre-determined cut-off date.

Most other professional sports have a mid-year trade period to cover for injuries or specific needs. But under no circumstances should the AFL clubs be allowed to rip players out of state league clubs in the middle of their season.

There is another solution as well. If the clubs don’t have enough players to cover injury or lack of form, expand the AFL clubs’ playing lists. Abolish the rookie lists, expand the playing roster, treat all players equally, allow players a transfer window to move between clubs, then if you run out of players, bad luck!

The rookie lists are another AFL exploitation of eager young talent. Has anyone else noticed that the young Crows small forward, Lachlan Murphy this year is still only a rookie-listed player with the club?

The young man, coming off the rookie list last year played 11 games for the Crows in 2018 in an impressive debut season. Surely, as a young player, he has earned the right to be a Crows listed player.

It makes an enormous difference to salary and benefits and it is simply miserly penny-pinching on the part of the AFL and its clubs to deprive worthy young talent that opportunity in order to save a few dollars.

For years now the AFL and its clubs have exploited the desperation and sacrifice of young players who can be summarily cast-off with no further benefits. Increase the salary cap and expand the list to cover injuries and loss of form.

`There was once a time, in those days of the VFL, SANFL and WAFL when there was very little difference between the state leagues. The advent of the AFL and the unprecedented media demand for access to the country’s best sporting product has seen an enormous divide open up. The rich get rich and the poor get poorer.

However, with that wealth and profile comes responsibility. The AFL might make its own rules but it can’t be at the expense of our community-based football.

Love it! Very interesting! Looks good to me.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby stan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:29 am

He's not wrong about the AFLs stance to on mid season drafts.

Also the points about West and Geddes are good examples that mid season drafted player or even this SSP or what ever it is called drafted player might not play a game for the AFL club. But of course grief teams such as South Adelaide on the eve of the season.

Good article written by wrinkles. He's had a few reasonable ones lately.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby ferret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 am

The AFL couldn't give a shit about any other sporting organisations. Take this Saturday, Crows play at 4.05 pm, with lots of summer sports just finishing minor rounds or into finals it puts these participants in a position where they can't attend the Crows match. A 7.20 pm would have been much better, but oh no the Crows and Power can have crap times they'll fill Adelaide Oval and the AFL will do double back flips to accommodate the TV stations.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby StrayDog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:06 am

Deleted
Last edited by StrayDog on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Does anyone have a link to an online tipping Comp for SANFL ??
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am

How do Ports' top up players work?

I heard over the weekend that ex Centrals forward Dallas Hill has been training with 'Port' not surely what was really meant by that though.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby robranisgod » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:35 am

whufc wrote:How do Ports' top up players work?

I heard over the weekend that ex Centrals forward Dallas Hill has been training with 'Port' not surely what was really meant by that though.

Dallas Hill has signed with Port Adelaide Magpies.

The following are their contracted players :

Cam Sutcliffe – Age: 26
Matt Appleton – Age: 25
Dallas Hill – Age: 25
Tom Corcoran – Age: 23
Mitchell Mead – Age: 19
Sam Davidson – Age: 19
Simon Wong – Age: 24
Jack Strange – Age: 20
Jack Elsworthy – Age: 22
Ben Edwards – Age: 23
Mony Makoi – Age: 22
Adam Mahney – Age: 21
Levi Proude – Age: 22
Lachlan Smith – Age: 20

I suspect they got Hill under the following rule :

Access to all players in South Australia who are not on any other SANFL Club 1 – 40 lists, whether they have played at SANFL level or not in the last 18 months
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby sib » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:12 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Access to all players in South Australia who are not on any other SANFL Club 1 – 40 lists, whether they have played at SANFL level or not in the last 18 months

That is the list they gave. We dont know what ones are contracted as they can only have 10. Sutcliffe would be one. Any others are paid match payments only. Crows have a list of 40 odd in their development squad. I sent an email asking Heath Younie who the 10 contracted players were but they are not giving that info out.
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby robranisgod » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 pm

sib wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

That is the list they gave. We dont know what ones are contracted as they can only have 10. Sutcliffe would be one. Any others are paid match payments only. Crows have a list of 40 odd in their development squad. I sent an email asking Heath Younie who the 10 contracted players were but they are not giving that info out.

According to the Port Adelaide website he has signed as a contracted player.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/ ... allas-hill
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Hazydog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:28 pm

UK Fan wrote:Does anyone have a link to an online tipping Comp for SANFL ??

SANFL has dropped off the footy tips site after being included as long as I can remember - assuming that was part of your reason for posting UK Fan?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:07 am

Hazydog wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Does anyone have a link to an online tipping Comp for SANFL ??

SANFL has dropped off the footy tips site after being included as long as I can remember - assuming that was part of your reason for posting UK Fan?

Correct
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Yangebup » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 am

As UK fan asked does anyone have a link to SANFL footy tips by any chance & WAFL?

I liked tipping those 2 comps + it kept U in touch with whats going on in those leagues...
Yangebup
Rookie

Been liked: 18 times

Postby JK » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Yangebup wrote:SANFL has dropped off the footy tips site after being included as long as I can remember - assuming that was part of your reason for posting UK Fan?

As UK fan asked does anyone have a link to SANFL footy tips by any chance & WAFL?

I liked tipping those 2 comps + it kept U in touch with whats going on in those leagues...

There's a group on FB called "The Real Fans Of SANFL" that are running a comp mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Yangebup » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:12 pm

There's a group on FB called "The Real Fans Of SANFL" that are running a comp mate

Thank you very much JK I appreciate that - Ive joined up the comp & my tips are in! Thank you
Yangebup
Rookie

Been liked: 18 times

Postby JK » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:05 pm

No probs mate, good luck!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:17 pm

Is it true that Sumner has been once again told by Glenelg he is not wanted? Played one trial so he is on their list just so he couldn't play elsewhere??
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:36 am

bulldogproud wrote:Is it true that Sumner has been once again told by Glenelg he is not wanted? Played one trial so he is on their list just so he couldn't play elsewhere??

no-one else will take him anyway, not if it costs $30,000
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:11 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Is it true that Sumner has been once again told by Glenelg he is not wanted? Played one trial so he is on their list just so he couldn't play elsewhere??

If it is true that Glenelg don't want him, I am not sure why they turned down an offer of $24 000 for him. Seems like they just turned down $24 000 and got nothing in return.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 am

bulldogproud wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

If it is true that Glenelg don't want him, I am not sure why they turned down an offer of $24 000 for him. Seems like they just turned down $24 000 and got nothing in return.
Cheers

I’m trying to find out what the story is here.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL