Been liked: 68 times

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

Postby Spargo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:42 pm

stampy wrote:gregson to glenelg

Confirmed - good get.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby sib » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm

http://norwoodfc.com.au/norwoods-double-barry-2/

Dom Barry and his cousin sign with Norwood
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Hopeful Jelly wrote:Jesse Lonergan (delisted Gold Coast Suns midfielder and nephew of coach Sam) is confirmed as an in for the Eagles.

History suggests there is no guarantee that delisted AFL players from interstate will perform to expectations in the SANFL.

I remember watching him at Gold Coast and the view was he underachieved. As long he brings a good attitude he could be very useful though.

Hopefully his signature doesn't mean that we give up trying to lure Cam Sutcliffe back to the Eagles who is the player we really need IMO. Does anyone know whether ex-Eagle Malcolm Karpany is coming back to Adelaide after being delisted by West Coast?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Brett » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Spargo wrote:

Confirmed - good get.

Who is he ?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Big Phil » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 pm

Brett wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Confirmed - good get.

Who is he ?

Ex Geelong listed.

https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=nw ... =626&dpr=1
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Brett wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Confirmed - good get.

Who is he ?

Lol.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:03 am

Brett wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Confirmed - good get.

Who is he ?

Should be a more than handy acquisition for the Bays
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby goddy11 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am

JK wrote:
Brett wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Confirmed - good get.

Who is he ?

Should be a more than handy acquisition for the Bays

From the SANFL website, this should be a bit of a worry,
"he has since been restricted due to the navicular bone in his foot, resulting in him being released by the Cats in September"

Good player but this is a bad injury for an AFL player.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
Hopeful Jelly wrote:Jesse Lonergan (delisted Gold Coast Suns midfielder and nephew of coach Sam) is confirmed as an in for the Eagles.

History suggests there is no guarantee that delisted AFL players from interstate will perform to expectations in the SANFL.

I remember watching him at Gold Coast and the view was he underachieved. As long he brings a good attitude he could be very useful though.

Hopefully his signature doesn't mean that we give up trying to lure Cam Sutcliffe back to the Eagles who is the player we really need IMO. Does anyone know whether ex-Eagle Malcolm Karpany is coming back to Adelaide after being delisted by West Coast?

Isnt Sutcliffe going to the Power??
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dogs64 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Zac Milbanks "comings and goings" on the sanfl website doesn't mention Josh Glenn. Did he get done for drugs or not?
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

Postby ferret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 am

Rumours abound that South Adelaide has won the race for Malcolm Karpanny. If so it means $25,000 to the Eagles.
As previously mentioned Cam Sutcliffe will be the magpies marquee player. How could the Eagles compete, a good contract PLUS job in the football department. WHY DO THE magpies (also the crows) NEED A MARQUEE PLAYER? If so, why don't they make a delisted power player their marquee player instead of robbing local SANFL clubs of their original juniors. I thought the SANfl was there to protect the local SANFL clubs, not bow and scrape to the parasitic AFL offsprings. Only good thing...another $25,000 to the Eagles.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby DOC » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:40 am

ferret wrote:Rumours abound that South Adelaide has won the race for Malcolm Karpanny. If so it means $25,000 to the Eagles.
As previously mentioned Cam Sutcliffe will be the magpies marquee player. How could the Eagles compete, a good contract PLUS job in the football department. WHY DO THE magpies (also the crows) NEED A MARQUEE PLAYER? If so, why don't they make a delisted power player their marquee player instead of robbing local SANFL clubs of their original juniors. I thought the SANfl was there to protect the local SANFL clubs, not bow and scrape to the parasitic AFL offsprings. Only good thing...another $25,000 to the Eagles.

Not sure about that.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 am

ferret wrote:Rumours abound that South Adelaide has won the race for Malcolm Karpanny. If so it means $25,000 to the Eagles.

"How could they compete?" Well for a start they could have not signed Jesse Lonegan and instead directed that money to towards Sutcliffe. We were never going to be able to sign up Lonegan, Sutcliffe, Karpany and Toumpas unless some of the latter three would be happy to receive significant 'unders' to play for their junior club. Eagles needed to decide which of the four to prioritise. The problem with Sutcliffe was that he was very late to be delisted by West Coast and then was invited to train with Sydney in the lead up to the draft. So he wasn't able to commit. Eagles would have had a choice - shell out immediately and get Lonegan for certain or wait for Sutcliffe and miss out if got re-drafted or even decided to sign with another SANFL club. Its clear the eagles were keen on him (and Karpany) from an early stage.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/cam-sutcliffe-malcolm-karpany-could-return-to-original-sanfl-club-woodville-west-torrens-ng-b881002352z

Problem is that in hindsight, I think the Eagles need Sutcliffe more than Lonegan. He's that runner we need and has the potential to be a huge player in the SANFL - someone who could win a magarey. Lonergan is another slow player we will add to our list and has a hell of a lot of injuries in his time at AFL.

What's the new rules with respect to Port's marquee players? Are they only allowed a certain number of marquee players on their list at a time? I'm certain the only reason they are chasing him is because they want to keep an eye on his form with the potential for redrafting him during that period that runs until March 2019. Why wouldn't Sutcliffe say no to that? He'll be replaced on their list in two years time with another 'marquee player' they want to sign so I guess we'll just have to wait.

Shame about Karpany also if true although I don't think he will be as big a loss. But he does have a bit of speed and is a beautiful kick so would have been very handy also. Thought he was going to be a star when he left to enter the AFL but as with Lonegan, injuries played a huge part in his inability to develop. Will wait for South's official announcement.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby ferret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:53 am

"Mr Fuller" you are completely wrong. The Eagles were in touch with Sutcliffe and Karpany all through the 2018 season to monitor their possibility of them coming back to the Eagles. At the start of the 2018 season I was told that the club was making salary cap space for the possible return of Toumpas, Sutcliffe and Karpany in 2019, hence the low of level recruiting for 2018.
The Eagles hierarchy has admitted that there was never any chance of The Eagles being able to match the offer from alberton, to even try would have been disrespectful to the other players. Their job offer and salary was just unmatchable.
When there are five ex AFL players of possible interest to the Eagles (Toumpas, Sutcliffe, Karpany, Lonergan and Foote) it comes to a position where all can't be catered for. Just remember we couldn't fit in/snare McMahon and McDonough when they were delisted. My first preference for season 2019 would have been Cam Sutcliffe, but sometimes you just can't get what you want.
In the last year or two the SANFL agreed to allow the crows and magpies a marquee player, a recent delisted AFL player over 26 years of age. For 2019 the Crows have Wright and the magpies have Sutcliffe.
With the appointment of Sam Lonergan I feel he is entitled to a little say in recruitment he must be made to feel comfortable with the playing group, hence the recruitment of his nephew. He can't be to bad a player having played 60 AFL games. We just have to wait and see what happens with Jordan Foote.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:41 am

ferret wrote:"Mr Fuller" you are completely wrong. The Eagles were in touch with Sutcliffe and Karpany all through the 2018 season to monitor their possibility of them coming back to the Eagles. At the start of the 2018 season I was told that the club was making salary cap space for the possible return of Toumpas, Sutcliffe and Karpany in 2019, hence the low of level recruiting for 2018.
The Eagles hierarchy has admitted that there was never any chance of The Eagles being able to match the offer from alberton, to even try would have been disrespectful to the other players. Their job offer and salary was just unmatchable.
When there are five ex AFL players of possible interest to the Eagles (Toumpas, Sutcliffe, Karpany, Lonergan and Foote) it comes to a position where all can't be catered for. Just remember we couldn't fit in/snare McMahon and McDonough when they were delisted. My first preference for season 2019 would have been Cam Sutcliffe, but sometimes you just can't get what you want.
In the last year or two the SANFL agreed to allow the crows and magpies a marquee player, a recent delisted AFL player over 26 years of age. For 2019 the Crows have Wright and the magpies have Sutcliffe.
With the appointment of Sam Lonergan I feel he is entitled to a little say in recruitment he must be made to feel comfortable with the playing group, hence the recruitment of his nephew. He can't be to bad a player having played 60 AFL games. We just have to wait and see what happens with Jordan Foote.

Well that is kind of what I was saying (can't cater to accommodate all the returning AFL players) and I agree that Sutcliffe is the #1 guy we need. But the problem was that he wouldn't have been able to commit until his AFL dream was extinguished for good and that was too late in the piece. The eagles couldn't gamble that he would definitely return because if he did not then we'd miss out on other potential recruits. Lonegan definitely could be a very, very useful player its just a shame we couldn't grab Sutcliffe.

I'm fairly confident Port have only grabbed him and offered him this job because they remain somewhat interested to have him training with the club to keep an eye on him for a possible drafting. He'll be back at the Eagles eventually but it might be a couple of years.

Why do we get $25k for Sutcliffe given he was not recruited to Port direct from WWT but rather Freo? I thought that wouldn't count as an SANFL club transfer or are there special rules for players drafted by the Crows/Power SANFL sides?

I was wondering who that player - Foote - was that you mentioned as I don't recall him being drafted from the Eagles. I did a google search on him and interesting to read that he is the son of ex- West Torrens player (also played a handful of early games for WWT) David Foote. Looks like he grew up in NSW though and was part of the Swans' Academy. Any news on what he might be up to or has he also signed somewhere else?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby ferret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Mr Fuller I can definitely tell you that Toumpas and Lonergan were also in the same situation as Sutcliffe, they were both waiting to see if they would get another chance at the AFL. They both told the club they would most probably commit to the Eagles if not redrafted, the same situation as Sutcliffe but he had advised he was also considering an offer from the magpies. Foote and Karpany were also in the same situation but less likely to get drafted.
Within the SANFL a delisted AFL player from a former SANFL club is considered their player and can command a $25,000 transfer fee if they go another club.
ferret
Reserves

Postby JK » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
ferret wrote:
Why do we get $25k for Sutcliffe given he was not recruited to Port direct from WWT but rather Freo? I thought that wouldn't count as an SANFL club transfer or are there special rules for players drafted by the Crows/Power SANFL sides?

That’s standard mate, Norwood would get $25k from the Bays for Partington, and vice versa the Bays get $25k off Norwood for Barry.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby DOC » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:43 pm

Are you saying that it is set at $25K
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby JK » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:49 pm

DOC wrote:Are you saying that it is set at $25K

No sorry was more about the transfer for a returning AFL player going to a different SANFL club. $25k is the Max transfer fee I think (happy to be corrected), but depending on a players rating clubs could request less.
FUSC
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL