South v Adelaide Sat 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: South v Adelaide Sat 1410

Postby matt35 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Hard to know. A number of people have told me, and I stress people who have been going to Glenelg oval for many years, that they felt that the crowd number given on the night at last Friday night's game v Port was quite under what looked like was there. I can't comment as I was interstate last weekend. Also I've seen a couple of crowd numbers for the good Friday game at Noarlunga.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Yeah crowd was poor today however South did vote no to the AFL teams in the SANFL and i do think a lot of south supporters dont come when we play the AFL teams.

I think that is irrelevant . Most crowds at Noarlunga probably hang around the 2500 mark. 2000 opposition and the rest South supporters . All it shows to me is , as well all know, Crows supporters dont attend and South have a very low number of supporters.
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 am

RB wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:
DOC wrote:A few doubting my 640 call. If anyone else was there, thoughts?

Official crowd was given as 847.

Can assure you that from an excellent source the actual number was 640.

Any idea what accounts for the discrepancy? I.e. does the 847 include players, officials, etc., or have they 'cooked the books'?

I suspect it includes all the players, coaches and workers there, that is, it is all the people at the ground. An attendance figure is supposed to be the supporters through the gate. Would there be 207 extras?

South 82

21 Players
30 ish reserves (who did not get a game)
6 coaches
25 trainers/stewards/team managers/stats/medical etc

Crows 69

21 players
10 ish other players (top ups and AFL)
8 coaches
30 trainers/stewards/team managers/stats etc

Club 20
20 hospitality workers

SANFL 36

12 umpires and minders
8 ground/gate keepers
8 security
4 media
4 stats

DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 am

And I should add, this figure may always have been the case but with smaller and smaller crowds, the ability to track them is far easier, combined with the electronic recording of which tickets are used to gain entry.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby PhilH » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 am

If it is the same as what happened a few years who when I worked at the Eagles.

Officials who enter the ground prior to gates opening (usually 11am) TEND to often be missed in the numbers

Anyone who enters the ground AFTER gates opening is counted be they fan, player, coach, media, umpire etc

When I was at the Panthers one issue we had was those who attended the home match lunch

The way Noarlunga is structured you can go into Jimmy Deans (play pokies etc) without entering the ground.

We used to have a SANFL staff at the function room door all day to ensure all had a ticket and were counted.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Panther Pack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 am

Michael wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Yeah crowd was poor today however South did vote no to the AFL teams in the SANFL and i do think a lot of south supporters dont come when we play the AFL teams.

I think that is irrelevant . Most crowds at Noarlunga probably hang around the 2500 mark. 2000 opposition and the rest South supporters . All it shows to me is , as well all know, Crows supporters dont attend and South have a very low number of supporters.

This comment is just wrong. How many games do you get to at Noarlunga each year?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby saintal » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Michael wrote:

Try 1600-1800. The volume of opposition supporters on the mound has dropped in recent years IMO. Irrespective, yesterday's crowd is deplorable however it is rationalised.

I wasn't there admittedly. Have a much busier home life now with a baby, so need to pick and choose a bit when it comes to watching footy. It's hard to justify driving 50min each way to watch a game against the Ravens. Watching mates play hills footy close to home is an attractive option now, as I did last weekend.

On the match, it wasnt much of a spectacle, but nice to bounce back and have a win. Davis perhaps South's best, while I liked seeing Crabb return to strengthen the back half.

I dont like to knock commentators, but Doug Robertson (who I used to like in his capacity of an advertiser journo) was a bit of out of his depth. Not an easy gig I realise..
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Final Hickinbotham Oval

South 9-6-60 def Adelaide Reserves 6-4-40

Goals
South; Fairlie 2, Fields 2, Overall 2, Davis, Liddle, Rankine