RD 14 Norwood Vs Sturt 14/7/18

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: RD 14 Norwood Vs Sturt 14/7/18

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:32 pm

therisingblues wrote:I am still shell shocked by that last quarter from Norwood.
We thought that a 4 goal lead at 3 Q time would be competitive, given that the Legs were kicking to the scoring end in the final Q. But that was based on the way the game had been played up to that point.
Norwood then had complete control of the center square, at times I was wondering if they had extra players around the tea saucer, we suddenly couldn't lay a hand on the pill. After they had gotten their first 4 or so, the Blues simply looked rattled, I haven't seen a display like it since the dim dark days of the early 90's. I was half expecting to see Scotty Field deck Garry MacIntosh at some stage, I couldn't believe I was witnessing such a performance in today's era.
And the bloody goals just kept on coming, and some were ridiculously easy, we were no longer watching the same game as the first three quarters. About the only thing that linked what happened before 3Q time and after it, was a patch of about 5 minutes to end the 2nd Q where Norwood got a sudden 3 goals or so, apart from that, Sturt seemed to have the game under control. The freaks that took the field for Norwood in that final Q were not the same players they had before hand. These were men possessed, who could suddenly not put a foot wrong, who threw themselves hard at the contest, gathered the ball at their bootlaces without breaking a run, slotted the big sticks from whatever angle, and applied too much pressure for us.
Congratulations Norwood, it was thoroughly sickening to watch, and most of us were stunned by it.
Osborne rucked the entire final quarter, not sure what happened to our regular ruckman, Read, someone said he was not sighted after half time? We were possibly a couple of sets of fresh legs down at 3Q time, but there was no excusing that performance. The Legs just waltzed all over the old Billabong today.
Absolute hot, smoking flag favourites. Given other results today, you would have to say it will be an Eagles v Legs Grand Final.

Great post. Sickening not the word I would use though. Good to see us kicking goals again.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby JK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:55 pm

therisingblues wrote:I am still shell shocked by that last quarter from Norwood.
We thought that a 4 goal lead at 3 Q time would be competitive, given that the Legs were kicking to the scoring end in the final Q. But that was based on the way the game had been played up to that point.
Norwood then had complete control of the center square, at times I was wondering if they had extra players around the tea saucer, we suddenly couldn't lay a hand on the pill. After they had gotten their first 4 or so, the Blues simply looked rattled, I haven't seen a display like it since the dim dark days of the early 90's. I was half expecting to see Scotty Field deck Garry MacIntosh at some stage, I couldn't believe I was witnessing such a performance in today's era.
And the bloody goals just kept on coming, and some were ridiculously easy, we were no longer watching the same game as the first three quarters. About the only thing that linked what happened before 3Q time and after it, was a patch of about 5 minutes to end the 2nd Q where Norwood got a sudden 3 goals or so, apart from that, Sturt seemed to have the game under control. The freaks that took the field for Norwood in that final Q were not the same players they had before hand. These were men possessed, who could suddenly not put a foot wrong, who threw themselves hard at the contest, gathered the ball at their bootlaces without breaking a run, slotted the big sticks from whatever angle, and applied too much pressure for us.
Congratulations Norwood, it was thoroughly sickening to watch, and most of us were stunned by it.
Osborne rucked the entire final quarter, not sure what happened to our regular ruckman, Read, someone said he was not sighted after half time? We were possibly a couple of sets of fresh legs down at 3Q time, but there was no excusing that performance. The Legs just waltzed all over the old Billabong today.
Absolute hot, smoking flag favourites. Given other results today, you would have to say it will be an Eagles v Legs Grand Final.

Whilst not as dramatic, late in the last quarter I was thinking Sturt fans might finally have known how us Legs fans felt back in 83' (Dear God, please make these goals stop)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mots02 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:44 pm

JK wrote:

Whilst not as dramatic, late in the last quarter I was thinking Sturt fans might finally have known how us Legs fans felt back in 83' (Dear God, please make these goals stop)

Thanks for bringing that up, i feel a little better after watching that.

For other Sturt fans... soothe the pain with this..

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby sturtpeter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Cogratulations Norwood! It brought back the nightmare of the Final Quarter of the 1978 GF. At this stage it's Norwood v Eagles for this years GF. Sturt simply don't have enough depth this year
Avid Sturt supporter and SANFL fanatic.
sturtpeter
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm

What was the crowd?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby scott » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:What was the crowd?

Published as 3,759 but looked closer to 4,500.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 pm

scott wrote:

Seems very light on for the importance of the clash
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby SABRE » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:
scott wrote:

Back in the day you'd get 4 or 5 times that crowd.
Who else remembers the Unley residents sitting on their house roofs watching big games?
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times

Postby scott » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
scott wrote:

Maybe the number in isolation but certainly not the actual crowd on the day. The ground was quite full except for the usual areas behind the southern goal and there was a scattering around the eastern side. Grand stands, northern end and the hill was packed.

Even with the above figure in mind, Unley is tracking at 3,798 per game this season which is their best return since 1998 so overall they're doing something right.

Just for a weird stat, the crowd at Unley on Saturday was the highest July crowd since 2014.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times

Postby LPH » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
scott wrote:

1st SANFL Game I have attended in over 18 months - I thought there was much more than the 'official' number.
Must say, I enjoyed the game as a 'neutral' 8)
FWIW, these 2 are my tip for the GF this year - might even attend if so :shock:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 pm

I was also surprised at the published crowd figure. I thought it was well over 4000. I’ve been to games at Unley this year where I thought 2000 and it’s been 2800, I thought the Anzac game was less than what was published also.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Felt that at 3 qtr time we were very fortunate to be 4 goals up cos it felt like a very even game up until then.

Am a million miles from inner sanctum but you could only think that the coaching staff made a calculated decision, even once the game was out of control (8 mins into last qtr imho), to make the players play the way they wanted them to by hook or by crook because the damage could have been limited but at the end of the day a loss is a loss (in their eyes) whether it be by nine points or nine goals.

Sometimes you just have to admit the other team was too good
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL