Glenelg v North Sun 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg v North Sun 1410

Postby StrayDog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Spargo wrote:As for the goal umpire at the Robran end in the last qtr...
17 minute mark Tropiano has a set shot which is clearly marked by the Glenelg defender a good metre in play yet somehow it’s given a goal.
Farcical.

I was standing in front of the grandstand but I couldn't tell for sure but after the match I was talking to a member of the grog squad who agreed entirely with you that it was marked a metre in play. I wasn't alluding to that decision when I said it would have been grand larceny if North had got up, but it certainly would have added to the case. Glenelg used the ball better, spread from defence better and deserved the win, no doubt.

Regarding the Tropiano goal, was the Glenelg bloke moving backwards in the mark at speed?

The only reason I ask is that I remember a goal that was paid to Centrals at the Bay a number a number of years ago, but there was a fair bit of conjecture as to whether the ball had crossed the line prior to the kick. From side on at speed it was really hard to tell, and some of the 'Louts were convinced, not unreasonably, looking from side on that the ball had crossed before being kicked. It turned out that it hadn't, and that the Goal Umpire's call was correct in that case.

Without having seen it, I was just wondering whether this was something similar. :?:
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:51 pm

StrayDog wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
Spargo wrote:As for the goal umpire at the Robran end in the last qtr...
17 minute mark Tropiano has a set shot which is clearly marked by the Glenelg defender a good metre in play yet somehow it’s given a goal.
Farcical.

I was standing in front of the grandstand but I couldn't tell for sure but after the match I was talking to a member of the grog squad who agreed entirely with you that it was marked a metre in play. I wasn't alluding to that decision when I said it would have been grand larceny if North had got up, but it certainly would have added to the case. Glenelg used the ball better, spread from defence better and deserved the win, no doubt.

Regarding the Tropiano goal, was the Glenelg bloke moving backwards in the mark at speed?

The only reason I ask is that I remember a goal that was paid to Centrals at the Bay a number a number of years ago, but there was a fair bit of conjecture as to whether the ball had crossed the line prior to the kick. From side on at speed it was really hard to tell, and some of the 'Louts were convinced, not unreasonably, looking from side on that the ball had crossed before being kicked. It turned out that it hadn't, and that the Goal Umpire's call was correct in that case.

Without having seen it, I was just wondering whether this was something similar. :?:

No, White was running forward from behind the goal line and clearly marked the ball in play.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:52 pm

The vision is on the SANFL website.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Ask Magic Kiwi as her standing spot would have been a good spot to judge it.
Looked like he clearly marked it inside the field of play to me from the camera angle on that vision though.
Maybe th goal umpire was just scared of getting abused by the grogs! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby locky801 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 am

Wedgie wrote:Maybe th goal umpire was just scared of getting abused by the grogs! :lol:

As though that would happen ;) ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Trent Plucktrum » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 am

Wedgie wrote:Ask Magic Kiwi as her standing spot would have been a good spot to judge it.
Looked like he clearly marked it inside the field of play to me from the camera angle on that vision though.
Maybe th goal umpire was just scared of getting abused by the grogs! :lol:

It was marked a good meter in front of the goal line
My Team

The Cocks
Trent Plucktrum
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby mal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Did one of these teams have the breeze for 3 quarters ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:58 pm

mal wrote:Did one of these teams have the breeze for 3 quarters ?

The breeze (almost a gale) did turn right around about 10 minutes of the second quarter so Glenelg did have the breeze for about 1 1/2 out the first two quarters but I still don't think it impacted upon the result. As I have said before Glenelg were cleaner with their disposal and found players coming out of defence. If it wasn't for North's defence led by the outstanding Callum Wilkie (14 marks) Glenelg would have won easily.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby mal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:08 am

This from the Glenelg Football Club website
* We started well and the scores were level at quarter time with the breeze not overly favoring one end or the other.*

This from the North Adelaide Club website
* Glenelg won the toss and kicked with a breeze that was favoring the southern end of the ground.*
* The second quarter started with a real arm wrestle. We couldnt break the deadlock until the 10 minute mark after Connor Rozee ran into an open goal to kick his first after intercepting a tiger kick across their defensive goal. From then however, the breeze decided to take an unwelcome turn and favour the northern end after favouring the southern end to this point.*

I got to the ground at half time
So what really did happen with the breeze in the first half ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:26 am

mal wrote:This from the Glenelg Football Club website
* We started well and the scores were level at quarter time with the breeze not overly favoring one end or the other.*

This from the North Adelaide Club website
* Glenelg won the toss and kicked with a breeze that was favoring the southern end of the ground.*
* The second quarter started with a real arm wrestle. We couldnt break the deadlock until the 10 minute mark after Connor Rozee ran into an open goal to kick his first after intercepting a tiger kick across their defensive goal. From then however, the breeze decided to take an unwelcome turn and favour the northern end after favouring the southern end to this point.*

I got to the ground at half time
So what really did happen with the breeze in the first half ?

The strong wind certainly changed about half way through the second quarter but I still don't think it had much influence on the game as a whole.
I think Glenelg were the better side and North were lucky to get so close.
These days good sides move the ball so well and also run it so well that the wind doesn't have nearly as much to do with the result.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL