Live scores - Finals Week 2

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Live scores - Finals Week 2

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm

Aerie wrote:Would be very confident the Eagles could beat Norwood in the Grand Final if they can get past North next week.

I’m the opposite after seeing North again today. We had one of our worst games of the season and still got the job done. I’d much rather play the Eagles in the GF especially with their record on the big day
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby goddy11 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Spargo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Umps trying their hardest to keep them in the game

Yep Norwood lead the count 17-11

It’s where you get them or not

I’d normally agree but they’ve missed a few blatant ones to the Eagles too & that kicking in danger you got at half forward a few mins ago was downright pathetic. Norwood playing a tad arrogantly IMO.

Jim05 has always posted one eyed. Just to profile him I would say he's one of those supporters that just goes to every match to watch the umpires. Every club has them.
Never mentions Norwood with player(hidden) payments. Oh that's right , playing for love ofthe club.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:00 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:[quote="Jim05"]Umps trying their hardest to keep them in the game

Yep Norwood lead the count 17-11

It’s where you get them or not

I’d normally agree but they’ve missed a few blatant ones to the Eagles too & that kicking in danger you got at half forward a few mins ago was downright pathetic. Norwood playing a tad arrogantly IMO.

Jim05 has always posted one eyed. Just to profile him I would say he's one of those supporters that just goes to every match to watch the umpires. Every club has them.
Never mentions Norwood with player(hidden) payments. Oh that's right , playing for love ofthe club.[/quote]
Couldn’t care less about any clubs player payments TBH. Good luck if you can get away with it.
And the umpires were disgusting again today. Junk time evener uppers doesn’t show how one sided it was. The Eagles are the most protected side in the comp
Jim05
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Norwood look far from invincible on that performance BUT they did get the job done and will take on a team with 3 energy sapping finals in a row which sometimes can be too much. Rather be in their shoes than anyone though. Personally would like to see North get through, will make for a more open game.
On a side note - galls me to see a certain building company prominently displayed as a sponsor on the Norwood coaches jacket.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Hazydog wrote:On a side note - galls me to see a certain building company prominently displayed as a sponsor on the Norwood coaches jacket.

Couldn’t agree more.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby holden78 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I’d normally agree but they’ve missed a few blatant ones to the Eagles too & that kicking in danger you got at half forward a few mins ago was downright pathetic. Norwood playing a tad arrogantly IMO.[/quote]
Never mentions Norwood with player(hidden) payments. Oh that's right , playing for love ofthe club.[/quote]
Couldn’t care less about any clubs player payments TBH. Good luck if you can get away with it.
And the umpires were disgusting again today. Junk time evener uppers doesn’t show how one sided it was. The Eagles are the most protected side in the comp[/quote]

You mean Good luck :lol: cos Norwood is getting away with creativity...... Not another tainted flag......
If only Mr. Bean wasn’t doing the SANFL audits , if there even are any?
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby JK » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:44 pm

Glad we got through, don’t like our chances against either remaining side unless we can play better than that. Thank God for Willo, we had no reliable avenue to goal all game. Felt like Eagles defence was on top, they were better in the air and I thought they beat us in Ruck and the middle. Not often you win in that situation.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby ChickCock » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Great Cocks a % Booster ! [-X
ChickCock
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby therisingblues » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:05 pm

North were fantastic today. Sturt were too slow by comparison, dropped too many possessions and were poorer around stoppages.
There was a heap of Red and White in the crowd again, they made more noise than those of us wearing Blue also. Perhaps because they were leading all day, but I reckon there might have been more of them than us! I am not used to saying that.
Back to the footy, and I reckon we actually played better today than we did against the Eagles, but North seemed to have us all worked out. It seemed whatever we tried to stifle them or outclass them just did not work. Impressive stuff.
I imagine a Norwood v North Grand Final at Adelaide Oval would go close to being filled, and I was looking forward to Sturt being part of that equation somehow. In today's era of footy, there has to be an extra honour to participate in a sold out SANFL Grand Final.
Thanks Osborne for the two flags, congratulations on a great career.Another irreplaceable player. Best of luck for the future.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 pm

therisingblues wrote:North were fantastic today. Sturt were too slow by comparison, dropped too many possessions and were poorer around stoppages.
There was a heap of Red and White in the crowd again, they made more noise than those of us wearing Blue also. Perhaps because they were leading all day, but I reckon there might have been more of them than us! I am not used to saying that.
Back to the footy, and I reckon we actually played better today than we did against the Eagles, but North seemed to have us all worked out. It seemed whatever we tried to stifle them or outclass them just did not work. Impressive stuff.
I imagine a Norwood v North Grand Final at Adelaide Oval would go close to being filled, and I was looking forward to Sturt being part of that equation somehow. In today's era of footy, there has to be an extra honour to participate in a sold out SANFL Grand Final.
Thanks Osborne for the two flags, congratulations on a great career.Another irreplaceable player. Best of luck for the future.

TRB, that would have to be our two worst games I've seen in a decade or two. We played like Sturt of the mid 90's. No game plan, no forwards and no skills. We played injured players and that didn't assist but it's not to say that was the difference. We were outplayed by a faster more keen, structured and switched on unit in North.

What struck me the most was our skills. We were just plain terrible. We turned it over several times which cost us goals. Not that it singularly would've been an issue, however North's implied pressure made it even worse.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:23 pm

North were super impressive. They would have beaten anyone today. Their pace was amazing and made Sturt look incredibly slow today which isn’t easily done. Didn’t help that Sturt rolled the dice with a couple of players.
I’m glad we got through today, would have hated facing North next week
Jim05
Coach

Postby wedgetail » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Thought you couldn't fault the Eagles' effort today but Norwood had a bit more class and composure when it counted. We lack a marquee player who can turn the game like Grigg. Thought Firns played his best game for the club today. Gilhaus also put in a fine effort today and more than adequately replaced Borholm. Gray out and Johansen in next week. North a tough challenge next week. Will need to shut their run down.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:North were super impressive. They would have beaten anyone today. Their pace was amazing and made Sturt look incredibly slow today which isn’t easily done. Didn’t help that Sturt rolled the dice with a couple of players.

Hmm, not sure about your second sentence Jim. We had little intensity around the ball so it made them look pretty good. I heard that Riley (obviously), Battersby, Stevens and Harms weren't right. That's not to say North didn't go into in the same state but if they did they handled it much better than we did. Taking injured players in is risky and in our situation worthwhile but backfired.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby northerner » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:North were super impressive. They would have beaten anyone today. Their pace was amazing and made Sturt look incredibly slow today which isn’t easily done. Didn’t help that Sturt rolled the dice with a couple of players.

Hmm, not sure about your second sentence Jim. We had little intensity around the ball so it made them look pretty good. I heard that Riley (obviously), Battersby, Stevens and Harms weren't right. That's not to say North didn't go into in the same state but if they did they handled it much better than we did. Taking injured players in is risky and in our situation worthwhile but backfired.

Battersby and Reilly are vital for Sturt... hard ball winners. Sturt needed them at 100% to win. Damned if they played them unfit...damned if they didn't play them.
North would be happy to play the Eagles next week. They had some ladd I know little about who really stepped up and Tropiano is the recruit of the year.
Norwood played poorly and won... clearly Nwds flag to lose.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby SimonH » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:05 am

There was plenty in the 2SF to give whichever team makes it, hope that Norwood can be knocked off. Should be a good GF.

That was Norwood's lowest score for the year since they lost a grind-fest to Sturt in round 1. Even in their 3 losses since then, they've kicked a bigger score. Plus a team that was bringing up the ton regularly through most of the year, hasn't kicked over 100 points since July.

I thought Norwood played well for the 2nd half, but without Surman (and, ahem, Glenn) they just lacked a reliable avenue to goal and so had to rely on A Wilson magic plus the mandatory at-least-a-goal-a-game they've extracted from Panos and Grigg all year (both coming at critical stages of the 3rd quarter) to get over the line. A huge proportion of their goals were on the run, not from set shots.

Norwood's midfield (at least the first tier of it) is a cut above, plus McKenzie is in stunning form down back and has a more than useful supporting cast in Georgiou, Bode, Fuller & Talia—but it's an intriguing GF when the highest scoring team of the year, looks most vulnerable in kicking a winning score.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby ferret » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 am

Why are most posters saying that Norwood played played badly, give some credit to the Eagles. The Eagles didn't allow Norwood to play their normal free flowing attacking football. Hard contested defensive football can also be a part of a teams armoury.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am

ferret wrote:Why are most posters saying that Norwood played played badly, give some credit to the Eagles. The Eagles didn't allow Norwood to play their normal free flowing attacking football. Hard contested defensive football can also be a part of a teams armoury.

Eagles probably would've got more credit if they won. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:03 am

ferret wrote:Why are most posters saying that Norwood played played badly, give some credit to the Eagles. The Eagles didn't allow Norwood to play their normal free flowing attacking football. Hard contested defensive football can also be a part of a teams armoury.

From what I saw, yeah, the Eagles played with a good plan that somewhat frustrated Norwood, combined with, as Spargo said during the game, Norwood playing a little bit arrogantly.

If Norwood want to get their hands properly dirty in the GF, can't see either North or Eagles getting close, former will be an 18 to 11 goal game, latter 14 to 7.
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 am

gadj1976 wrote:

Obviously not adequately replacing Beard was a big whole in the Sturt line-up, but I reckon the loss of McMahon has been underestimated.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:27 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Obviously not adequately replacing Beard was a big whole in the Sturt line-up, but I reckon the loss of McMahon has been underestimated.

Yes, could have done with an extra defender, but Fraser Evans usually goes some way to helping out back there.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL