AFL mid-season draft

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: AFL mid-season draft

Postby GMcG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:31 pm

seeya Centrals & SANFL if this happens.
Here I come with my hard earned Goody Saints.
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Terrible idea, no player would get game in the AFL, they would just rot in the ressies of that club in a break-glass scenario. Learning the gameplan, structures and even the required fitness is not going to happen in a few weeks. Would destroy some state league teams for no benefit to the AFL.

Some very, very salient points there.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby sib » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Soon list sizes will be extended and and Afl Reserves will exist. When this happens there will b no need for a mid season draft. Just start an AFL reserves comp now.
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:31 pm

beef wrote:Accept it, one day you might realise why the SANFL always do what the AFL tells them. SIMPLE REASON MONEY. Do what youre told or lose funding. Afl dictates to SANFL, SANFL dictates to it's clubs. Its never changing. Be lucky if 2 or 3 players a year get drafted so AFL won't think its a problem.

On that, FWIW, I don't think there's any coincidence that the local show has been overseen by an ex politician and a career salesman for the last five years or so.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Groucho » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:56 pm

GMcG wrote:seeya Centrals & SANFL if this happens.
Here I come with my hard earned Goody Saints.

Great, they're my club now too. :)

Seriously G, don't do it man.

We have to stay positive, as you have told me many times and from my observation of you, I believe that you're not a quitter.
Don't you think this is a bit drastic and unfair? You will be punishing Centrals for something that isn't their fault and is beyond their control. Remember the club motto "Yield to None" which I definitely think applies to this situation.

Anyway dude please think it over and reconsider.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 pm

sib wrote:Soon list sizes will be extended and and Afl Reserves will exist. When this happens there will b no need for a mid season draft. Just start an AFL reserves comp now.

If this happens you might as well join the Adelaide Football league. An AFL list would need to be extended by 12 at a minimum where do you think the AFL clubs are going to get those potential 200 players.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Easy.
Go back to zones, including Tassie for HW and NM if need be.
Each team gets to choose players from it's zone before the draft, hence minimising the impact of tanking, as the best 20-25 players would already have been taken most years.
Top-up players are those coming out of u/18's that are undrafted. On this "reserves" list for two years, so six players rotate each year, with their team having first dibs on them.
Will get rid of all this sooking about academies too.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm

LMA wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
LMA wrote:Far bigger concern than Port & Adelaide having reserves team. As loyal as you think a player might be if he gets a chance to play AFL he will jump at it

Au contraire, the problem is amplified by the smears and clowns having reserves teams. It's one thing to lose a key player mid-year to the eastern league. It's another matter entirely when that same player suits up against your mob the next week in a clowns guernsey.

Simple, they don't play against their former club. I think the big soccer leagues have something like that in play when they loan out players.
Mid season draft aside, even if that was implemented now as a regulation for Port & Adelaide eg Trengove against Sturt, do you think that would stop the whinge and bring so called supporters back? Of course not

Gee, it must be a hard life if your biggest concern is people whinging on a thread that you don't necessarily have to log onto!
I mean you COULD ignore it, but then you know that out there, somewhere, there is someone who loves SANFL and they are bitching about Crows and Power reserves, midseason drafts and shit like that.
It MUST drive you absolutely bananas! I don't know how you deal with it, seriously.
All WE have to deal with is the further demise of our league, but YOU, wow, you have to deal with the fact that someone is bitching on a thread somewhere.
If only we could find a way to turn you into moral armour, the whole world would be saved from political correctness.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I actually don't mind this idea. Some SANFL players play for the opportunity to play at AFL level. Some of those players might miss out during draft time because of injury or form and decide to ply their trade under the eyes of the AFL's scouts.

The reasons they miss out is because they many-fold. The mid season draft gives them an opportunity if the need arises because of form or injury to key personnel. It could be the opportunity they need to get into the AFL and from there who knows.

Also, think about it, if I'm a kid who misses out on the draft, I have two options. Try SANFL or just go to Ammo's or country. This may actually entice them to stay in the State league.

I'm assuming the player has the opportunity to say 'no'?

If I were a coach in the SANFL you go in eyes wide open. You always try and promote your players to play at the highest level, so you shouldn't be against this, although they could way-lay your short term plans by losing key personnel on the way through.

I appreciate the different perspective, but I think it would drain more quality, than supply it. The disruption would supply further damage.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:15 pm

therisingblues wrote:
LMA wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
LMA wrote:Far bigger concern than Port & Adelaide having reserves team. As loyal as you think a player might be if he gets a chance to play AFL he will jump at it

Au contraire, the problem is amplified by the smears and clowns having reserves teams. It's one thing to lose a key player mid-year to the eastern league. It's another matter entirely when that same player suits up against your mob the next week in a clowns guernsey.

Simple, they don't play against their former club. I think the big soccer leagues have something like that in play when they loan out players.
Mid season draft aside, even if that was implemented now as a regulation for Port & Adelaide eg Trengove against Sturt, do you think that would stop the whinge and bring so called supporters back? Of course not

Gee, it must be a hard life if your biggest concern is people whinging on a thread that you don't necessarily have to log onto!
I mean you COULD ignore it, but then you know that out there, somewhere, there is someone who loves SANFL and they are bitching about Crows and Power reserves, midseason drafts and shit like that.
It MUST drive you absolutely bananas! I don't know how you deal with it, seriously.
All WE have to deal with is the further demise of our league, but YOU, wow, you have to deal with the fact that someone is bitching on a thread somewhere.
If only we could find a way to turn you into moral armour, the whole world would be saved from political correctness.

Take a breath, slow down, it's Friday
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL