AFL mid-season draft

All discussions to do with the SANFL

AFL mid-season draft

Postby dogbreath » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:45 pm

So the AFL is testing the water with this idea !!!
Time for Olsen and his cronies to start representing and protecting the SANFL competition instead of continuing to be puppets.
My guess is the silence will be deafening.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/new ... tr978m9kbp
dogbreath

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Re: AFL mid-season draft

Postby robranisgod » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 pm

dogbreath wrote:So the AFL is testing the water with this idea !!!
Time for Olsen and his cronies to start representing and protecting the SANFL competition instead of continuing to be puppets.
My guess is the silence will be deafening.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/new ... tr978m9kbp

Could you imagine the damage it could do to our clubs half way through a season. What would have happened to Norwood this year if suddenly Grigg and Panos were drafted mid season. It wouldn't be fair. And before supporters of lower clubs start cheering, they coud be affected just as badly. What if Central lost Schiller or North lost Thring or Tropeano. It just must not happen.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby LMA » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Far bigger concern than Port & Adelaide having reserves team. As loyal as you think a player might be if he gets a chance to play AFL he will jump at it
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 pm

I actually don't mind this idea. Some SANFL players play for the opportunity to play at AFL level. Some of those players might miss out during draft time because of injury or form and decide to ply their trade under the eyes of the AFL's scouts.

The reasons they miss out is because they many-fold. The mid season draft gives them an opportunity if the need arises because of form or injury to key personnel. It could be the opportunity they need to get into the AFL and from there who knows.

Also, think about it, if I'm a kid who misses out on the draft, I have two options. Try SANFL or just go to Ammo's or country. This may actually entice them to stay in the State league.

I'm assuming the player has the opportunity to say 'no'?

If I were a coach in the SANFL you go in eyes wide open. You always try and promote your players to play at the highest level, so you shouldn't be against this, although they could way-lay your short term plans by losing key personnel on the way through.
Last edited by gadj1976 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:54 pm

LMA wrote:Far bigger concern than Port & Adelaide having reserves team. As loyal as you think a player might be if he gets a chance to play AFL he will jump at it

Dunno, would I, as a Sturt player who also is a carpenter (say), up and move to the Gold Coast for 3 months?? Not sure this will be a 'jump at all costs' that some feel it might. There would need to be some negotiation before someone even entertains the idea.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby dogbreath » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:12 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I actually don't mind this idea. Some SANFL players play for the opportunity to play at AFL level. Some of those players might miss out during draft time because of injury or form and decide to ply their trade under the eyes of the AFL's scouts.

The reasons they miss out is because they many-fold. The mid season draft gives them an opportunity if the need arises because of form or injury to key personnel. It could be the opportunity they need to get into the AFL and from there who knows.

Also, think about it, if I'm a kid who misses out on the draft, I have two options. Try SANFL or just go to Ammo's or country. This may actually entice them to stay in the State league.

If I were a coach in the SANFL you go in eyes wide open. You always try and promote your players to play at the highest level, so you shouldn't be against this, although they could way-lay your short term plans by losing key personnel on the way through.

With all due respect to your line of thought.
What about the integrity of the SANFL comp ????

Treat it as a play-pen for the AFL to it's peril.
SANFL supporters are scarce enough as it is, piss those remaining loyal supporters off enough and they'll give it away entirely.
So what then becomes of grass roots football.
dogbreath

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 pm

dogbreath wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I actually don't mind this idea. Some SANFL players play for the opportunity to play at AFL level. Some of those players might miss out during draft time because of injury or form and decide to ply their trade under the eyes of the AFL's scouts.

SANFL supporters are scarce enough as it is, piss those remaining loyal supporters off enough and they'll give it away entirely.

There's integrity??

That went years ago. It's 2018.

You're assuming the AFL has any regard about the SANFL. Let's face it, they see the state competitions, U18's and SANFL as feeder leagues anyway, so lets embrace it. The AFL reserves is a mere step away which will make the SANFL hardly a step above Ammo's.

BTW, this is not my preferred method, I do love the SANFL and I love Sturt more than life itself. However, I'm a realist. If this came in, I would like to see Sturt only recruiting over 25s who have no appeal at SANFL level so we don't get affected.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
LMA wrote:Far bigger concern than Port & Adelaide having reserves team. As loyal as you think a player might be if he gets a chance to play AFL he will jump at it

Dunno, would I, as a Sturt player who also is a carpenter (say), up and move to the Gold Coast for 3 months?? Not sure this will be a 'jump at all costs' that some feel it might. There would need to be some negotiation before someone even entertains the idea.

Under 23 no doubt I reckon. Put in 6 or so good games and you're in a good position to be given a contract the following season
LMA
Coach

Postby dogbreath » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
dogbreath wrote:

There's integrity??

You're assuming the AFL has any regard about the SANFL. Let's face it, they see the state competitions, U18's and SANFL as feeder leagues anyway, so lets embrace it. The AFL reserves is a mere step away which will make the SANFL hardly a step above Ammo's.

BTW, this is not my preferred method, I do love the SANFL and I love Sturt more than life itself. However, I'm a realist. If this came in, I would like to see Sturt only recruiting over 25s who have no appeal at SANFL level!

Yes there was integrity in the comp until recently (2014 to be exact) when the Crows reserves joined.
Let's not make that any worse.
dogbreath

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm

LMA wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Under 23 no doubt I reckon. Put in 6 or so good games and you're in a good position to be given a contract the following season

That's the situation I think where an AFL club will have to say "we'll contract you for 18 months" otherwise why would I go given that I might have been studying, or plying a trade? Remembering that they might be bringing you in as insurance rather than playing 1's straight away.

Lots of 'x' factors to take into consideration IMO before this is just a fait a com-plait.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:48 pm

gadj1976 wrote:..................................................................
There's integrity??

BTW, this is not my preferred method, I do love the SANFL and I love Sturt more than life itself. However, I'm a realist. If this came in, I would like to see Sturt only recruiting over 25s who have no appeal at SANFL level so we don't get affected.

I'm a realist. When the reserves were discussed I voiced my concern that one of our up and coming talents would hammer us in a do or die final as an adelaide based AFL recruit - well maybe I said grand final - but I want to embrace it. Wayne Milera who served us fantastically, was brilliant in the 2015 finals and got a well deserved call up to the AFL. For him and his family it was a great result, but to a local watching him the next year - together with Menzel - kick our arse was hard to take. Ramp that up 5 fold to taking them away mid season - and then play us in the finals. So when you say lets face it, the integrity went years ago, I don't think you have thought it through enough.

Edit reason: Ass corrected to Arse
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 pm

wild dog wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:..................................................................
There's integrity??

I'm a realist. When the reserves were discussed I voiced my concern that one of our up and coming talents would hammer us in a do or die final as an adelaide based AFL recruit - well maybe I said grand final - but I want to embrace it. Wayne Milera who served us fantastically, was brilliant in the 2015 finals and got a well deserved call up to the AFL. For him and his family it was a great result, but to a local watching him the next year - together with Menzel - kick our arse was hard to take. Ramp that up 5 fold to taking them away mid season - and then play us in the finals. So when you say lets face it, the integrity went years ago, I don't think you have thought it through enough.

Edit reason: Ass corrected to Arse

Uh huh. I think
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:56 am

Au contraire, the problem is amplified by the smears and clowns having reserves teams. It's one thing to lose a key player mid-year to the eastern league. It's another matter entirely when that same player suits up against your mob the next week in a clowns guernsey.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:41 am

Pseudo wrote:

Au contraire, the problem is amplified by the smears and clowns having reserves teams. It's one thing to lose a key player mid-year to the eastern league. It's another matter entirely when that same player suits up against your mob the next week in a clowns guernsey.

Simple, they don't play against their former club. I think the big soccer leagues have something like that in play when they loan out players.
Mid season draft aside, even if that was implemented now as a regulation for Port & Adelaide eg Trengove against Sturt, do you think that would stop the whinge and bring so called supporters back? Of course not
LMA
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 am

LMA wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Simple, they don't play against their former club. I think the big soccer leagues have something like that in play when they loan out players.
Mid season draft aside, even if that was implemented now as a regulation for Port & Adelaide eg Trengove against Sturt, do you think that would stop the whinge and bring so called supporters back? Of course not

apples and oranges. Players aren't loaned out throughout the SANFL. Players changing clubs on a permanent basis in soccer suit up against their old teams. As they should on a footy field
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:04 am

LMA wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

No, I think the whingeing will stop when the rubbish teams have left.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:07 am

no, just no... end thread
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 am

Terrible idea, no player would get game in the AFL, they would just rot in the ressies of that club in a break-glass scenario. Learning the gameplan, structures and even the required fitness is not going to happen in a few weeks. Would destroy some state league teams for no benefit to the AFL.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Dogs64 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Tony Lynn (a best and fairest winner), was taken by Carlton in a mid season draft in 1994. It destroyed our year. If the pathetic SANFL don't stand up for the competition (for the first time in the last decade), it will be the final straw. I see it as a methodology clubs will also use to bolster their reserves sides.
I'm so sick of the SANFLs preparedness to do what's best for the AFL teams and AFL and not our own competition. How much do they want to belittle the importance of a club winning the Premiership.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby beef » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Accept it, one day you might realise why the SANFL always do what the AFL tells them. SIMPLE REASON MONEY. Do what youre told or lose funding. Afl dictates to SANFL, SANFL dictates to it's clubs. Its never changing. Be lucky if 2 or 3 players a year get drafted so AFL won't think its a problem.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL