Preliminary Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Preliminary Final

Postby Aerie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:45 pm

If only Sharrad did the job properly like Skipworth did.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Cheats, North would have got an extra couple of goals if Troppo wasn't on the bench getting treatment. All things being consistent and fair I assume the Eagles get a 10k fine and lose 4 premiership points next year.

But Troppo wasn't on the bench getting treatment; which is why this thread is so entertaining!

He was in the third.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 am

Same penalty given to North as was given to Willaston for breaking the salary cap rules
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby mots02 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:57 am

Wedgie wrote:Cheats, North would have got an extra couple of goals if Troppo wasn't on the bench getting treatment. All things being consistent and fair I assume the Eagles get a 10k fine and lose 4 premiership points next year.

I know its easier in hindsight and all but maybe this whole thing might have been a bit cleaner and neater if one of the many, many North Officials in and around the bench had ensured that Troppo had stayed there on the bench where he should have been? ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby whybother » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 am

This is my first post on this site. Therefore I am a "virgin" so please treat me kindly. Regarding the "wet lettuce" penalty that the learned judge imposed:

1. Each side in the GF gets at least $10k prizemoney from the SANFL, so NA don't lose any money from their own planned 2018 budget. The money just goes around in a circle.

2. The 4 point "penalty" for 2019 isn't necessarily a penalty. If NA finishes 6th or lower on the unadjusted 2019 end-of-season table, then deducting 4 points is of no consequence to them. The 4 points deduction only has substantial consequence if NA finish 5th or higher on the 2019 table. Then the adjustment would re-position their place in the finals playoff. The deduction could put them out of the final 5, but only if at least one lower placed team was within 4 points and had a better percentage. If the current 2018 table was repeated next year then NA with 22 points would still stay in the final 5 ahead of Glenelg with 18 points. In this case, it seems a strange NA penalty that relies on Glenelg, West, Central and (horror) the 2 AFL reserve teams performing better in 2019 than 2018.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Trent Plucktrum » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Aerie wrote:If only Sharrad did the job properly like Skipworth did.

Didn't hear us whinge about it did you ;) We gave up around 5 years after the event
My Team

The Cocks
Trent Plucktrum
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby oldfella » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:59 pm

whybother wrote:This is my first post on this site. Therefore I am a "virgin" so please treat me kindly. Regarding the "wet lettuce" penalty that the learned judge imposed:

1. Each side in the GF gets at least $10k prizemoney from the SANFL, so NA don't lose any money from their own planned 2018 budget. The money just goes around in a circle.

2. The 4 point "penalty" for 2019 isn't necessarily a penalty. If NA finishes 6th or lower on the unadjusted 2019 end-of-season table, then deducting 4 points is of no consequence to them. The 4 points deduction only has substantial consequence if NA finish 5th or higher on the 2019 table. Then the adjustment would re-position their place in the finals playoff. The deduction could put them out of the final 5, but only if at least one lower placed team was within 4 points and had a better percentage. If the current 2018 table was repeated next year then NA with 22 points would still stay in the final 5 ahead of Glenelg with 18 points. In this case, it seems a strange NA penalty that relies on Glenelg, West, Central and (horror) the 2 AFL reserve teams performing better in 2019 than 2018.

Welcome mate
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm

whybother wrote:This is my first post on this site. Therefore I am a "virgin" so please treat me kindly. Regarding the "wet lettuce" penalty that the learned judge imposed:

Fair points mate, you're right about the prize money and that doesn't take into account extra money that will be raised through merchandise, me berships, etc but I think I read somewhere it is the maximum financial oenalty they could apply. North are very financial and it will mean stuff all.

The 4 point next year might be a big penalty and it might not. If North had had 4 points less this year it would have had no impact on the final ladder (but would have made the last game when they beat the Power by only 5 points more interesting!). Have to wait and see but it could cost them a double chance and/or a finals spot next year. So many "possibles". Imagine if they came top next year but had to play in an elimination final, it wouldn't be too fair on the team they're playing! It might even fire up North next year so they end up better off than they would have!
Its a penalty that compromises the comp to a degree next year, I dont like it for that reason.

North wouldn't have copped any penalty next year if a head count had been called, as one wasn't called no penalty should have been applied but the SANFL probably felt the need to address the hysteria.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Fair points mate, you're right about the prize money and that doesn't take into account extra money that will be raised through merchandise, me berships, etc but I think I read somewhere it is the maximum financial oenalty they could apply. North are very financial and it will mean stuff all.

The 4 point next year might be a big penalty and it might not. If North had had 4 points less this year it would have had no impact on the final ladder (but would have made the last game when they beat the Power by only 5 points more interesting!). Have to wait and see but it could cost them a double chance and/or a finals spot next year. So many "possibles". Imagine if they came top next year but had to play in an elimination final, it wouldn't be too fair on the team they're playing! It might even fire up North next year so they end up better off than they would have!
Its a penalty that compromises the comp to a degree next year, I dont like it for that reason.

North wouldn't have copped any penalty next year if a head count had been called, as one wasn't called no penalty should have been applied but the SANFL probably felt the need to address the hysteria.

:lol: :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Trader » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Wedgie wrote:North wouldn't have copped any penalty next year if a head count had been called, as one wasn't called no penalty should have been applied but the SANFL probably felt the need to address the hysteria.

I actually agree with this.

I think North should play the GF then challenge the 4 point penalty during the off-season.

It's a made up punishment for a transgression that already had a procedure laid out that wasn't followed.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Trader wrote:
Wedgie wrote:North wouldn't have copped any penalty next year if a head count had been called, as one wasn't called no penalty should have been applied but the SANFL probably felt the need to address the hysteria.

I think North should play the GF then challenge the 4 point penalty during the off-season.

It's a made up punishment for a transgression that already had a procedure laid out that wasn't followed.

Would've seen Eagles get a free in the goal square and the flow stemmed, would've sent some panic through the camp and unsettled the team.

All hypothetical's though, it was more about bringing the game into disrepute by "accidentally" cheating.

Who cares if the 4th umpire was alerted, the rule states for the captain to approach the field umpire, it didn't happen, I'm sure there will be a new set of rules as of 2019, probably nationwide.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
Yangebup wrote:FFS this forum & Stephen 5AA Crow whose son plays for eagles - LET IT GO!

This whole 19th man saga was a blessing for the Eagles for losing the un loseable game from 47pts up in the 3rd qtr, & it took all
the talk away from the poor performance & the Roosters amazing comeback.

19th man had minimal impact anyway & north belted the Eagles after that going up by 22 pts - a 69 point turn around in a bit over a qtr.
Decision made - GAME OVER!

I wouldnt give it up if it happened to Centrals. Ridiculous the judge supposedly couldn't implement his desired solution. Again glad it happened to Slaven but feel for the Eagles supporters.

Spot on.
If this had happened to Sturt, I'd have trouble "letting go" also.
There SHOULD have been a head count, there wasn't. Had there been one, North would have had its score erased up to that point.
I don't see the point in pursuing it after the fact however. I don't want to see games decided in court rooms, and I think the AFL was full of shit how they came out with their obvious boner, claiming that THEY'D have overturned the resul;t.
Could you imagine the AFL overturning a Hawthorn or a Collingwood victory in an AFL Preliminary final, because it was later proved that 19 men had been on the ground for 3 and a half minutes?
North very, very lucky IMO.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:18 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
Yangebup wrote:FFS this forum & Stephen 5AA Crow whose son plays for eagles - LET IT GO!

This whole 19th man saga was a blessing for the Eagles for losing the un loseable game from 47pts up in the 3rd qtr, & it took all

19th man had minimal impact anyway & north belted the Eagles after that going up by 22 pts - a 69 point turn around in a bit over a qtr.

I wouldnt give it up if it happened to Centrals. Ridiculous the judge supposedly couldn't implement his desired solution. Again glad it happened to Slaven but feel for the Eagles supporters.

Spot on.
There SHOULD have been a head count, there wasn't. Had there been one, North would have had its score erased up to that point.
I don't see the point in pursuing it after the fact however. I don't want to see games decided in court rooms, and I think the AFL was full of shit how they came out with their obvious boner, claiming that THEY'D have overturned the resul;t.
Could you imagine the AFL overturning a Hawthorn or a Collingwood victory in an AFL Preliminary final, because it was later proved that 19 men had been on the ground for 3 and a half minutes?

No, the Eagles get a free kick in their attacking goal square, if they called a count and there's only 18 North players on the field, North would've got a free kick in their attacking goal square.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trent Plucktrum » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Trader wrote:

Would've seen Eagles get a free in the goal square and the flow stemmed, would've sent some panic through the camp and unsettled the team.

All hypothetical's though, it was more about bringing the game into disrepute by "accidentally" cheating.

Who cares if the 4th umpire was alerted, the rule states for the captain to approach the field umpire, it didn't happen, I'm sure there will be a new set of rules as of 2019, probably nationwide.

You did stem the flow after the player went off as you had the next four scoring shots for a return of 1 goal 3 points and really failed to capitalize on your efforts. If it had been 3.1 or even 2.2 i'm thinking a different result on the cards so just another area that didn't help your club as it had plenty of opportunity to wrestle the game back but failed and i been following this thread and realize you have been very even minded in regards to this which is something we won't know how mental North fans may of been but i'm pretty sure i have a fair idea :D :D .
My Team

The Cocks
Trent Plucktrum
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Spot on.

No, the Eagles get a free kick in their attacking goal square, if they called a count and there's only 18 North players on the field, North would've got a free kick in their attacking goal square.

?
Have I missed a whole heap of conversation about this? Was the rule change in place before the North game?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

A free kick plus 50 metres is the penalty if a captain calls a count and the opposing team has 18 or less at the time of the count.
A score is wiped up to that point if a captain calls a count and the opposing team has more than 18 at the time of the count.

Separately, an interchange infringement if called by the 4th umpire incurs a free plus 50m. An extra player coming off through the interchange gate is not an interchange infringement.

None of the above happened so it should have just been play on.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:A free kick plus 50 metres is the penalty if a captain calls a count and the opposing team has 18 or less at the time of the count.
A score is wiped up to that point if a captain calls a count and the opposing team has more than 18 at the time of the count.

Separately, an interchange infringement if called by the 4th umpire incurs a free plus 50m. An extra player coming off through the interchange gate is not an interchange infringement.

Thanks for the clarification there Wedgie. I think I see how people are getting mixed up.
True: None of the above happened, and I still cannot fathom why the Eagles didn't send a runner out telling their captain to call for a count.
The Judge presiding over this affair actually said that it was unrealistic to expect the Eagles captain to do so.
Sorry for not reading this whole thread to see if this has already been discussed, but I cannot follow the Judge's reasoning on that.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Wedgie wrote:A free kick plus 50 metres is the penalty if a captain calls a count and the opposing team has 18 or less at the time of the count.

The total score?

There is only one other league in the state that still plays by that rule, would've thought they've adapted to the newer system.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Trent Plucktrum wrote:You did stem the flow after the player went off as you had the next four scoring shots for a return of 1 goal 3 points and really failed to capitalize on your efforts. If it had been 3.1 or even 2.2 i'm thinking a different result on the cards so just another area that didn't help your club as it had plenty of opportunity to wrestle the game back but failed and i been following this thread and realize you have been very even minded in regards to this which is something we won't know how mental North fans may of been but i'm pretty sure i have a fair idea :D :D .

North won, Eagles failed to intervene when they should've, I'm annoyed we lost, I'm annoyed that North fielded too many but I'm more annoyed at the coaching staff's negligence.........................and the surrendering of a 47 point lead.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

The total score?

There is only one other league in the state that still plays by that rule, would've thought they've adapted to the newer system.

Wow, just checked it, an even bigger f up LOL
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL