2019 AFL mid season draft

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2019 AFL mid season draft

Postby MW » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:52 pm

hardly nought. what is rookie contract these days? 100k?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby cracka » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:25 pm

northerner wrote:
robranisgod wrote:Remember the mid season draft of about 25 years ago. In 1994 Central lost Tony Lynn mid season to Carlton. Given that Central finished third it may have cost Central a Grand Final berth.
On the other hand Rod Saunders and Peter Bennett from North were drafted by Essendon and Brisbane respectively in the 1991 mid season draft. They didn't go and played in North's 1991 premiership. Other SANFL players stayed at that time too. I doubt that anyone would stay in the SANFL now.

Man, you did well to recall that time... I was discussing this with a fellow Doggie supporter this morning. The addendum to that is what would Lynn say about this NOW in retrospect? He was a gun in a good comp with a good team. He went to Carlton and played a handful of games over 15 months and then drifted away from top tier footy altogether.
Now, a player who gets selected in this draft is unlikely to play AFL in the remainder of the season and faces the real possibility of being delisted just three months later. In the interim he has likely uprooted from his home and quit his job.... all for naught. And he really doesn't get a say because he knows if he doesn't accept he blackbans himself.
This idea has little thought to the second tier compass AND the individual player.

Do they have to nominate for it ir is it just a free for all byvthe AFL clubs
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby whufc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Surely if the Crows took a player from Norwood that player would continue to play for Norwood unless picked by the Crows AFL team.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:12 pm

whufc wrote:Surely if the Crows took a player from Norwood that player would continue to play for Norwood unless picked by the Crows AFL team.

I don’t believe so.
Heard some chat about it yesterday and the VFL clubs are a bit worried aswell as a player from say Richmond’s VFL side could be taken by Carlton and have to play in their VFL side.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Hes a thought, with all the rookies already on AFL lists why dont they do a new rookie draft mid season. Theres tonnes of rookies that are not going to get a game already rookied at AFL clubs, recycle them amongst themselves. It makes no sense to take new ones from state leagues
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby StrayDog » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:56 am

DOC wrote:
StrayDog wrote:I mentioned before importance of communication. The Tweet quoted below leaves me feeling a tad uneasy, seems that not everyone is listening:-

Jim05 wrote:https://twitter.com/integrityunit/status/1047762715731607553?s=21

That is not a real tweet from the AFL.

Yeah, had a proper look at that one just after logging out of SAFooty while shutting down and leaving for the arvo soon after posting. Too late. :oops:
Last edited by StrayDog on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby StrayDog » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:00 am

Booney wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
Booney wrote:Whilst not exactly the same there are SAAFL clubs who feed players to SANFL clubs and they've dealt with it for years.

Devils advocate here, I don't like the prospect of SANFL players leaving mid-year but clubs below the SANFL have dealt with it for years.

I think Jason Sutherland might have been a case in point going back a few years, seem to remember he was contracted with Berri and debuted for us late in the season ended with an SANFL Premiership medallion. :?:

NB: I can't remember sure how much it affected his country club at the time, so happy for fellow 'Dogs fans to rip me a new one on this point regarding its relevance.

A generation ago and a different era I realise, but I can recall the gut-wrenching frustration and anger at losing Tony Lynn to Carlton mid season that year.

This, did anyone at the time cry bloody murder on behalf of Berri? I would doubt it, they would have been thrilled for the bloke to get an opportunity at a higher level.

Firstly, thanks cennals05 and Dogs64 for your subsequent responses.

FWIW, with a bit more free time this evening I did a search and with a bit of a scrounge around, re-discovered this match thread from June 2010, with a number of references to the above over its six pages:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28751
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby therisingblues » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:37 am

Dogs64 wrote:
Booney wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
Booney wrote:Whilst not exactly the same there are SAAFL clubs who feed players to SANFL clubs and they've dealt with it for years.

Devils advocate here, I don't like the prospect of SANFL players leaving mid-year but clubs below the SANFL have dealt with it for years.

I think Jason Sutherland might have been a case in point going back a few years, seem to remember he was contracted with Berri and debuted for us late in the season ended with an SANFL Premiership medallion. :?:

NB: I can't remember sure how much it affected his country club at the time, so happy for fellow 'Dogs fans to rip me a new one on this point regarding its relevance.

A generation ago and a different era I realise, but I can recall the gut-wrenching frustration and anger at losing Tony Lynn to Carlton mid season one year.

This, did anyone at the time cry bloody murder on behalf of Berri? I would doubt it, they would have been thrilled for the bloke to get an opportunity at a higher level.

As mentioned, he also played in a premiership for Berri that year, the two clubs worked together.

Not to mention the fact that there was never any danger of Jason Sutherland being forced to play AGAINST Berri, while he was waiting for a Central call up.
This one fact is what makes the situation untenable, and stems from there being two reserves sides from another league using the SANFL as a play pen.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Aerie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 am

therisingblues wrote:Not to mention the fact that there was never any danger of Jason Sutherland being forced to play AGAINST Berri, while he was waiting for a Central call up.
This one fact is what makes the situation untenable, and stems from there being two reserves sides from another league using the SANFL as a play pen.

Spot on.

I can’t believe there is no communication from the big wigs of the AFL to the big wigs of the SANFL. Surely the SANFL foresee these things happening and do something about it before these decisions are announced. They make their own bed.

It’s just another reason why I no longer invest time or money any more.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:49 am

Surely any player that nominates for this draft would want a guarantee of 1 full season in the system (18 month contract) as compensation for chucking a day job and moving interstate, otherwise it's a huge risk to the player.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby therisingblues » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:43 pm

heater31 wrote:Surely any player that nominates for this draft would want a guarantee of 1 full season in the system (18 month contract) as compensation for chucking a day job and moving interstate, otherwise it's a huge risk to the player.

Either way it will be a risk. A case of damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Decide not to go, and the club chooses another, similar type player, who succeeds in the role being offered.
You might not get another chance...
I can see people will roll out the line: "Well, if the players don't like it, they wouldn't nominate for it!"
I think players WILL nominate for it, rather than see their spot go to someone else through this new, mid-season door.
It is going to be a dirty rule, and it is going to disadvantage a lot of people.
But, I am sure that the AFL has looked at the bottom line, and judged that it will potentially add interest, mid-season, which will mean dollars. Which for them, means they should have done it years ago! What the hell are we all waiting for?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:05 pm

therisingblues wrote:
heater31 wrote:Surely any player that nominates for this draft would want a guarantee of 1 full season in the system (18 month contract) as compensation for chucking a day job and moving interstate, otherwise it's a huge risk to the player.

Either way it will be a risk. A case of damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Decide not to go, and the club chooses another, similar type player, who succeeds in the role being offered.
You might not get another chance...
I can see people will roll out the line: "Well, if the players don't like it, they wouldn't nominate for it!"
I think players WILL nominate for it, rather than see their spot go to someone else through this new, mid-season door.
It is going to be a dirty rule, and it is going to disadvantage a lot of people.
But, I am sure that the AFL has looked at the bottom line, and judged that it will potentially add interest, mid-season, which will mean dollars. Which for them, means they should have done it years ago! What the hell are we all waiting for?

The only way it could work is if players can nominate which clubs they will or wont go to (unlike the draft).
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:54 pm

It may end up being bugger all players as they will still need to fit them in under the salary cap.
It will be like Booney said, if a Ruckman or KPP goes down with a knee and you have limited coverage you will seek insurance.
Of all the teams this year i dare say it wouldve been only West Coast (a ruckman) and Collingwood (key back) that may have considered it which in itself is an argument against it as they made the Grand Final despite these percieved holes.I cant think of anyone else who wouldve taken a rookie mid year
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jimmy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:03 pm

not really the same though. It's always been the situation that saafl was always a stepping stone to the 'elite' state comp, the SANFL. SANFL is the top of the tree in SA footy and at one time SANFL and VFL were on the same footing before the VFL saw the $$$ with a national comp which has now forced the SANFL to change to a feeder league which it always never was unlike the ammos. Just my 2 cents though.

An AFL mid-season draft is just taking the piss.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Booney » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Jimmy wrote:

not really the same though. It's always been the situation that saafl was always a stepping stone to the 'elite' state comp, the SANFL. SANFL is the top of the tree in SA footy and at one time SANFL and VFL were on the same footing before the VFL saw the $$$ with a national comp which has now forced the SANFL to change to a feeder league which it always never was unlike the ammos. Just my 2 cents though.

The SANFL, it could be argued, has been a stepping stone to the AFL for nearly 30 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Booney wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

The SANFL, it could be argued, has been a stepping stone to the AFL for nearly 30 years.

Exactly. For those that recall, the SANFL put in place the Retention scheme which only (from memory) Aish and McIntosh took up.

FWIW, I'm happy that Lienert and Wilson are in the AFL system. I'm happy if Battersby or McAdam get drafted. If that's at end of season or mid season, it matters little to me. In fact, it makes it more interesting to watch their progress in the AFL if and when they do get drafted. Will it matter if they get drafted in July? Not really, no.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:44 am

If this proceeds then AFL clubs should be forced to sign the draftee's for a min of 18 months (i.e. the year after they get drafted) so they are not just thrown on the scrap heap after a few months.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:If this proceeds then AFL clubs should be forced to sign the draftee's for a min of 18 months (i.e. the year after they get drafted) so they are not just thrown on the scrap heap after a few months.

In the AFL’s rose coloured glasses they won’t be throwing them on the scrap heap.

They would have given the player a great opportunity to be exposed to what it takes to play at the best. They will go back to their SANFL club a much better player for the experience and have increased their prospects in the next draft.

You can almost see their media manager typing it right now
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Hazydog » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Fair point Booney- although I’d argue SAAFL Clubs are not as reliant as the SANFL Clubs are on memberships, season ticket sales, attendances and sponsorship, all of which could be negatively influenced by this further watering down of the SANFL’s standing as a legitimate, semi professional competition.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

Not really, its very rare for someone to be picked from grassroots clubs mid season and put in the SANFL system if they have had nothing to do with them up to that point.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL