2019 SANFL Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

2019 SANFL Season

Postby DOC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:07 am

South Adelaide duo Joel Cross and Matt Rose have been appointed co-captains to lead the Panthers in 2019.
Cross retains his leadership position, after skippering the side in 2018 alongside Keegan Brooksby, while Rose, who has previously served as vice-captain, steps up to joint captaincy.

The decision was made by senior coach Jarrad Wright and South Adelaide's key management, following peer voting by the Panthers playing group, and was announced to the players before training on Wednesday night.

Two-time Magarey Medallist Cross has played 156 games and kicked 113 goals for the Panthers, also boasting three Knuckey Cups amongst his lengthy list of career accolades.

Rose joined the Panthers from Port Adelaide Magpies in 2014 and has since played 85 games for the club (135 total SANFL games), earning selection in the SANFL state team in 2018.

Wright explained that following player voting there were two clear nominations for captaincy.

"From the votes it was pretty unanimous that we had two stand out candidates that the players rate highly to lead the club in 2019," said Wright.

"Crossy is following on from a terrific job last year leading the team to a finals position, which we weren't in the year before.

"Meanwhile, Rosey has done a four-year apprenticeship as a leader, been a vice captain and a pretty good servant of the football club.

"He gets his reward for his hard work over the past five years.

"Well done to both boys."

Cross declared he is proud to remain at the helm and help push the Panthers further into the finals.

"It is a great privilege to be able to lead the South Adelaide Football Club into 2019," said Cross.

"Last year we made great strides as a club, introducing a lot of talented young faces into the side and returning to the finals.

"I am looking forward to working alongside Rosey and our other leaders to help push us deeper into September and find that success we are all striving for."

Meanwhile, Rose said he is humbled by the chance to take his leadership to the next level and mentor the young talent coming through the ranks.

"It is a huge honour to captain a club with such rich history," said Rose.

"Going now into my sixth year I've had the opportunity to work and learn a lot from players and coaches to help me as both an individual player and also as a leader.

"I enjoy driving the standards of others both on and off the track and try to build strong relationships with all involved with the club.

"I am really excited about the leadership group we have this year and all the different traits that each individual will bring.

"With some of the players coming through and the experience we still have around the playing group I am really excited about what lies ahead this year."

Jake Summerton will serve as vice-captain, while Alex Cailotto, Anthony Biemans and Ben Heaslip round out this year's leadership group.

2019 South Adelaide Leadership Group
Captains
Joel Cross
Matt Rose

Vice Captain
Jake Summerton

Leadership Group
Alex Cailotto
Anthony Biemans
Ben Heaslip
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Re: 2019 SANFL Season

Postby DOC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:10 am

Trial matches:
STATEWIDE SUPER LEAGUE
WEEK 1
Friday March 1
Port Adelaide v North Adelaide (Alberton Oval) – 6pm

WEEK 2
Friday March 8
Glenelg v North Adelaide (Thebarton Oval) – 7.30pm
West Adelaide v Sturt (City Mazda Stadium) – 7.20pm
Norwood v Adelaide (Coopers Stadium) – 7.20pm
South Adelaide v Port Adelaide (Flinders University Stadium) – 6pm
Central District v Eagles (X Convenience Oval) – 7.50pm

WEEK 3
Friday March 15
Norwood v Eagles (Coopers Stadium) – 7pm

Saturday March 16
West Adelaide v Glenelg (City Mazda Stadium) – 1.10pm
Central District v Sturt (X Convenience Oval) 1.10pm
South Adelaide v North Adelaide (Flinders University Oval) – 1.10pm

WEEK 4
Friday March 22
Port Adelaide v Adelaide (Alberton Oval) – 5pm
West Adelaide v Central District (City Mazda Stadium) – 7.50pm

Saturday March 23
South Adelaide v Eagles (Flinders University Stadium) – 1.10pm

RESERVES
WEEK 1
Friday March 8
Glenelg v North Adelaide (Thebarton Oval) – 5.30pm
West Adelaide v Sturt (City Mazda Stadium) – 5.20pm
Central District v Eagles (X Convenience Oval) – 5.30pm

WEEK 2
Friday March 15
Norwood v Eagles (Coopers Stadium) – 5pm

Saturday March 16
West Adelaide v Glenelg (City Mazda Stadium) – 10.30am
Central District v Sturt (X Convenience Oval) 10.30am
South Adelaide v North Adelaide (Flinders University Oval) – 10.30am

WEEK 3
Friday March 22
West Adelaide v Central District (City Mazda Stadium) – 5.30pm

Saturday March 23
South Adelaide v Eagles (Flinders University Stadium) – 10.30am

U18 TORRENS UNIVERSITY CUP
WEEK 1
Sunday March 3
Sturt v Norwood (Cornerstone College) – 1.15pm
Central District v North Adelaide (X Convenience Oval) – 1.15pm

WEEK 2
Thursday March 7
Central District v Eagles (X Convenience Oval) – 7.40pm

Saturday March 9
South Adelaide v Sturt (Flinders University Oval) – 1.15pm
Norwood v North Adelaide (Coopers Stadium) – 1.15pm

Sunday March 10
West Adelaide v Glenelg (City Mazda Stadium) – 11.15am

WEEK 3
Sunday March 17
South Adelaide v West Adelaide (Flinders University Stadium) – 11.15am
Glenelg v North Adelaide (Flinders University Stadium) – 1.40pm
Central District v Sturt (X Convenience Oval) – 1.15pm
Norwood v Eagles (Coopers Stadium) – 1.15pm

WEEK 4
Sunday March 24
Sturt v North Adelaide (City Mazda Stadium) – 1.15pm
South Adelaide v Eagles (Flinders University Stadium) – 1.15pm
Norwood v West Adelaide (Coopers Stadium) – 1.15pm
Central District v Glenelg (X Convenience Oval) – 1.15pm
DOC
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Great appointment of Matt Rose as Co-Captain at the Panthers.

Is a great bloke, very good footballer and clearly a natural leader.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby DOC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Indeed Phil. One of life's good blokes. He missed a lot of last season and we missed him.

Very happy to see Alex Cailotto in the group. His persistence has paid off. Had his fair share of setbacks and selection disappointments.
DOC
Coach

Postby Brett » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 pm

I have a good feeling about the Bays this year. South usually promise and dont deliver but lets hope not. West have too many off field issues and Central District will probably just be the same and see they will need a new coach next year. The rest I think its close . Great season ahead. Bays for me .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby DOC » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:39 am

ADELAIDE

IN: Matt Wright (Carlton), Shane McAdam (Sturt), Chayce Jones (Launceston), Ned McHenry (Geelong Falcons), Will Hamill (Dandenong Stingrays), Lachlan Sholl (Calder Cannons), Kieran Strachan (Port Melbourne), Jordon Butts (Murray Bushrangers).

OUT: Sam Gibson (retired), Curtly Hampton (retired), Ben Jarman (North Adelaide), Jackson Edwards (Werribee), Harry Dear (delisted), Matt Signorello (Port Melbourne), Kyle Cheney (delisted).

CENTRAL DISTRICT

IN: Troy Menzel (Tea Tree Gully/Adelaide), Jydon Neagle (Wodonga), Matthew Neagle (Wodonga), Jaxson Neagle (Wodonga), Darcy Pisani (Norwood), Jonathan Marsh (Sydney University), Damon Robinson (Glenelg), Tim Auckland (Launceston), Michael Ortiz (Port Adelaide).

OUT: Luke Barmby (retired/Golden Grove), John Butcher, Jackson Hately (GWS), Jez McLennan (Gold Coast), Aaron Nietschke (Melbourne), Darcy Fort (Geelong), Ben Nason (Woodville-West Torrens), Jack Hannath, Jacob Templeton, Sam Milne (overseas), Josh Richardson (Salisbury North).

GLENELG

IN: Cory Gregson (Geelong/returned), Luke Partington (West Coast/Norwood), Liam McBean (returned/overseas), Brad Agnew (returned/overseas), Rulla Kelly-Mansell (Launceston), Jack Kluske (Port Adelaide).

OUT: Terry Milera (retired), Warrick McGinty (retired/Scotch OC), Lachlan Earl (Langhorne Creek/Tanunda), Nick Amato (Uraidla), Tobin Cox (Port Adelaide), Tim Mackenzie (Minyip-Murtoa), Sam Walker (Morphettville Park), Bryce Woolard (Jervois), Damon Robinson (Central District), Tom Corcoran (Port Adelaide), Ben Edwards (Port Adelaide), Sean Davidson.

NORTH ADELAIDE

IN: Jake Neade (Port Adelaide), Ben Jarman (Adelaide/returned), Campbell Combe (Crystal Brook/returned), Jake Keller (Booleroo Melrose Wilmington/returned), Henry Trenorden (St Peter’s OC/returned), Jack Blair (UNSW Bulldogs).

OUT: Leigh Ryswyk (retired/Barossa Districts), Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide), Boyd Woodcock (Port Adelaide), Robbie Young (St Kilda), Jordon Sweet (Western Bulldogs), Callum Wilkie (St Kilda), Matt McDonough (Keith), Blake Helyar (Border Districts), Mark Quinn (Border Districts), Ben Darrou (Collegians VAFA), Sam Wundke, Matt Appleton (Port Adelaide).

NORWOOD

IN: Dom Barry (Port Adelaide/Glenelg), Dylan Barry (Southern Districts NT), Josh Donohue (returned/Payneham Norwood Union), Cody Szust (South Adelaide), Corey Grove (Spencer Gulf FL), Josh Miller (returned/Myponga/Sellicks), Charlie Hay (Prince Alfred OC/West Adelaide), Mitchell Coles (returned/Barmera Monash), Henry Crauford (Mount Burr).

OUT: Ben Jefferies (retired/Onkaparinga Valley), Matt Fuller (retired), Simon Phillips (retired/Myponga Sellicks), Callum Bartlett (retired), Alex Forster (Payneham Norwood Union), Darcy Pisani (Central District), Caleb Edmead (retired), Patrick Levicki (West Adelaide), Luke Valente (Fremantle), Jacob Kennerley (Geelong), Ben Jarvis (Geelong), Kade Chandler (Melbourne), Harry Viney (Blyth-Snowtown), Anthony Giannini (Payneham Norwood Union), Adam Zeni (Payneham Norwood Union), Isaac Hewson (Kingston), James Siviour (Kingston).

PORT ADELAIDE

IN: Cameron Sutcliffe (Woodville-West Torrens/Fremantle), Connor Rozee (North Adelaide), Zak Butters (Western Jets), Xavier Duursma (Gippsland Power), Riley Grundy (Sturt), Boyd Woodcock (North Adelaide), Tobin Cox (Glenelg), Kai Pudney (Woodville-West Torrens), Martin Frederick (Woodville-West Torrens), Matt Appleton (North Adelaide), Tom Corcoran (Glenelg), Lachlan Smith (Woodville-West Torrens), Jack Elsworthy (Kadina), Ben Edwards (Glenelg/Woodville-West Torrens).

OUT: Steven Summerton (retired/Angaston), Lindsay Thomas (retired/Portland), Jasper Pittard (North Melbourne), Jack Hombsch (Gold Coast), Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville-West Torrens), Emmanuel Irra (South Adelaide), Jake Neade (North Adelaide), Dom Barry (Norwood), Will Snelling (West Adelaide), Michael Ortiz (Central District), Jack Kluske (Glenelg).

SOUTH ADELAIDE

IN: Malcolm Karpany (West Coast/Woodville-West Torrens), Emmanuel Irra (Port Adelaide), Kyle Emery (Palmerston/Noarlunga), Hayden McLean (Sandringham) Michael Knoll (Box Hill Hawks).

OUT: Keegan Brooksby (West Coast), Tom Fields (Southport Sharks), Tarak Redigolo (retired/Padthaway), Matt Rankine (retired/Ramblers Murray Bridge), Nathan Kreuger (Geelong), Cody Szust (Norwood), Tom Sparrow (Melbourne), Jake Tarca (Geelong), Alex Moyle (Meningie), Matt Raitt (Padthaway), Scott Taylor (Scotch OC), Robert Irra (O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale), Adam Hunter (Mount Compass), Alex Aurrichio.

STURT

IN: Danyle Pearce (returned/Fremantle), Josh Patullo (Footscray VFL), Tom Condon (Strathmore).

OUT: Jack Osborn (retired/South Gawler), Shane McAdam (Adelaide), Riley Grundy (Port Adelaide), Jake Veale (NEAFL), Rory Taggert (Mypolonga), Dwayne Wilson (retired).

WEST ADELAIDE

IN: Chris Schmidt (returned), Will Snelling (Port Adelaide/returned), Patrick Levicki (Norwood), Dallas Willsmore (Hawthorn), Jade Cleeland (Werribee), Reed Stevens (Canberra), Tom Morrish (Ouyen United), Tom Gallaway (North Albury), Jayden Klemke (Collinguille-Glenfield Park).

OUT: Chris Burgess (Gold Coast), Aaron Fielke (retired), Jason Porplyzia (retired), Daniel Webb (retired/Flagstaff Hill), Shannon Green (retired), Izak Rankine (Gold Coast), Jake Wilson (Portland, Victoria), Josh Holliday (Edwardstown), Nick Favretto (Kangarilla), Lachlan Peter (Kangarilla).

WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS

IN: Jimmy Toumpas (Port Adelaide), Jesse Lonergan (Gold Coast Suns), Jordan Foote (Sydney Swans), Ben Nason (Central District), Jamieson House (Launceston).

OUT: Paul Stewart (retired), Marc Borholm (retired/Angaston), Jack Lukosius (Gold Coast), Martin Frederick (Port Adelaide), Kai Pudney (Port Adelaide), Daniel Minney (South Clare), Lachlan Smith (Port Adelaide).

B
DOC
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 am

Josh Glenn is still an IN for Norwood?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby DOC » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:48 am

Having a good look at the ins and outs, time to start thinking about likely ladder spots. No idea yet about the quality of the two AFL teams but I expect that they will both be better than next year. Reserving judgement on my own. You also never know too much about other clubs juniors coming through, the so called organic growth.

I'll go:

Glenelg
Norwood
Eagles
Sturt
West
Centrals
North

With North also starting off the season 4 points in arrears, they are the hardest hit. A real test after a great achievement.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:Josh Glenn is still an IN for Norwood?

Not listed as out but I thought he had gone.

Any one from Norwood able to comment? Everyone from Centrals like to comment?
DOC
Coach

Postby Brett » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 pm

I think North will win 2 more games than Centrals and West.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 am

DOC wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Josh Glenn is still an IN for Norwood?

Not listed as out but I thought he had gone.

Any one from Norwood able to comment? Everyone from Centrals like to comment?

He is still at Norwood but only training every now and then: he has a few other commitments.

Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby DOC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:31 am

[quote="Brett"]I think North will win 2 more games than Centrals and West.[/quot

leaving them on the same points
DOC
Coach

Postby TDJ44 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Brett wrote:I think North will win 2 more games than Centrals and West.

Dogs need another recruit or 2, or yes even 2 games down I think North will win more games.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Brett » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:04 pm

DOC wrote:
Brett wrote:I think North will win 2 more games than Centrals and West.[/quot

leaving them on the same points

Thats fine as you missed South . Percentage wont matter . :lol:
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 pm

Didn't miss them. As I said reserving judgement. Too weak to make a call.

Pretty sure we missed the finals in 2017 on percentage.
DOC
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:15 am

TDJ44 wrote:

Dogs need another recruit or 2, or yes even 2 games down I think North will win more games.

VERY close to signing an exciting recruit, ex AFL & still young.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby TDJ44 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:

Seems a bit late to sign someone else,hope it happens if true.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:

Kyle Cheney?
DOC
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:16 pm

TDJ44 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:

Seems a bit late to sign someone else,hope it happens if true.

has been training elsewhere, so still match fit.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Oops. Cheney is 29.
DOC
Coach