Female Footy

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Female Footy

Postby MW » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:02 pm

northerner wrote:
northerner wrote:The Womens AFL movement has the potential to detract from the SANFL (financial support, media etc). It already is killing off traditional (dare I say it) womens sports such as netball.

Incidentally, there are mens netball leagues... why are they not given equitable coverage in the media?

you're seriously questioning why a male sport is not given enough coverage in the media?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby northerner » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27 pm

MW wrote:
northerner wrote:
northerner wrote:The Womens AFL movement has the potential to detract from the SANFL (financial support, media etc). It already is killing off traditional (dare I say it) womens sports such as netball.

Incidentally, there are mens netball leagues... why are they not given equitable coverage in the media?

you're seriously questioning why a male sport is not given enough coverage in the media?

Isnt the AFL Womens push about giving all equity? Why is the media pushing womens football more than Mens netball?
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby MW » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Are you for real?
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 pm

MW wrote:Are you for real?

Can't wait for the answer. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Can I get back paid for my 200+ games of footy please?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 pm

northerner wrote:
MW wrote:
northerner wrote:

Isnt the AFL Womens push about giving all equity? Why is the media pushing womens football more than Mens netball?

surely you are joking???? Surely???

I hope you are
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:19 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:surely you are joking???? Surely???

I hope you are

Its obviously tongue in cheek, but why does that seem so ridiculous?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby northerner » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Allow me to be Devils advocate, why do men playing netball (I believe there is a National comp being held in Melbourne later this month) get no media coverage?

I am all for women having equal opportunity at taking on sports/jobs/pastimes traditionally seen as being a man's profession. But what about men wanting to take on pursuits that have been seen as traditionally female? Doesn't get mentioned.... why is that?
northerner
Reserves

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Good question about the mens netball, I saw it once and thought it was awesome to watch, so much quicker than the womens version.
The only women's netball I've bothered to watch was when my daughter or girlfriend's played.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 am

northerner wrote:Allow me to be Devils advocate, why do men playing netball (I believe there is a National comp being held in Melbourne later this month) get no media coverage?

I am all for women having equal opportunity at taking on sports/jobs/pastimes traditionally seen as being a man's profession. But what about men wanting to take on pursuits that have been seen as traditionally female? Doesn't get mentioned.... why is that?

Start up a thread and lets see if we can can it humming :roll:

Media aren't being forced to cover female footy, you might be surprised that females like footy also, they are actually taking players/supporters and interest from other female sports, in a lot of ways the reporting of female footy in the media is simply replacing what was there previously for netball.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby northerner » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
northerner wrote:Allow me to be Devils advocate, why do men playing netball (I believe there is a National comp being held in Melbourne later this month) get no media coverage?

Media aren't being forced to cover female footy, you might be surprised that females like footy also, they are actually taking players/supporters and interest from other female sports, in a lot of ways the reporting of female footy in the media is simply replacing what was there previously for netball.

And there is the REAL story... the Media are behoven to the biggest sports conglomerate in the Southern hemisphere. Modern day society is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. In days of yore, the media would report on what was popular amongst the masses. Now the masses follow what the media is reporting on.

I am not surprised that females like football, (and nor that men enjoy playing netball). Personally I think it's great that they can play beyond their early teens. It is a shame that mainstream female sporting bodies are taking a hit though. The bigger shame is that we as a society (led by the media moguls) seem to only be capable of acknowledging females as elite sports people now that they are playing AFL. Erin Phillips was an absolute sporting legend in two countries as a basketballer for many many years. But now she plays 15 games of AFL and suddenly people want bronze statues outside Adelaide Oval and awards named after her. The message is clear, women can make it bigger when they take on traditional male sports than in female sports. We all can name a female who is a star in football, cricket and soccer more than we can in netball and softball.

And Dutchy, netball was NEVER EVER given the publicity that womens AFL has been given. The womens footballers have been given a huge leg up in so many ways. Case in point.... I could go watch the womens AFL Final at Adelaide Oval for free. I could also watch the Primary Ones any given Saturday at ETSA Park and pay $6.... wtf?
northerner
Reserves

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:46 pm

When the governing body of the/any sport gets $2.5bn for a 6 year TV deal it can do what it wants with the money.

When netball gets $2.5bn for a TV deal I'll be at the free mens games.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:When the governing body of the/any sport gets $2.5bn for a 6 year TV deal it can do what it wants with the money.

When netball gets $2.5bn for a TV deal I'll be at the free mens games.

So the reason mens netball doesn't get the coverage is because it doesn't generate money?

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind watching mens netty. If it's anything like mixed, it would be good to watch. It'd be like you got rid of the useless chicks on the team ;) :lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Simple really.

If the sport generates the interest it will get crowds/media coverage/TV. If it doesn't, then it won't, regardless of the gender of the player.

I think you all realize that though...
MW
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:11 pm

I like how we're all saying the same thing in different ways.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:44 pm

northerner wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

And there is the REAL story... the Media are behoven to the biggest sports conglomerate in the Southern hemisphere. Modern day society is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. In days of yore, the media would report on what was popular amongst the masses. Now the masses follow what the media is reporting on.

I am not surprised that females like football, (and nor that men enjoy playing netball). Personally I think it's great that they can play beyond their early teens. It is a shame that mainstream female sporting bodies are taking a hit though. The bigger shame is that we as a society (led by the media moguls) seem to only be capable of acknowledging females as elite sports people now that they are playing AFL. Erin Phillips was an absolute sporting legend in two countries as a basketballer for many many years. But now she plays 15 games of AFL and suddenly people want bronze statues outside Adelaide Oval and awards named after her. The message is clear, women can make it bigger when they take on traditional male sports than in female sports. We all can name a female who is a star in football, cricket and soccer more than we can in netball and softball.

And Dutchy, netball was NEVER EVER given the publicity that womens AFL has been given. The womens footballers have been given a huge leg up in so many ways. Case in point.... I could go watch the womens AFL Final at Adelaide Oval for free. I could also watch the Primary Ones any given Saturday at ETSA Park and pay $6.... wtf?

A sporting legend in USA?
WNBA career stats averages of 6.3 points, 2,2 rebounds and 2 assists per games doesn't equate to legendary.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby northerner » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:48 pm

MW wrote:Simple really.

If the sport generates the interest it will get crowds/media coverage/TV. If it doesn't, then it won't, regardless of the gender of the player.

I think you all realize that though...

If the sport generates the media coverage/TV it will get the interest. The media coverage is decided upon by the colour of the corporate dollars.

It would have been interesting to see if womens netball was given the huge leg-up, and corporate support that Womens AFL was given then how would it fare? Now its too late for the sport as players will head to the sport that the media is giving the publicity to.
Tail wagging the Dog.
northerner
Reserves

Postby StrayDog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Can't agree with you on your point about pressure on the media, specifically one particular far reaching, well run, multi-outlet media monolith which relies on an ever decreasing public expenditure. One has only to tune into their interstate programming dominated 'local' radio station to notice a massive increase in focus on female 'equality' issues, and at times almost fawning passing commentary on the supposed quality of womens' football (mostly AFLW, seemingly bugger all on the SANFL ladies).

Taking the cake was one chap the other night saying how good it was quality wise, and how entertaining it was compared to the men's game. Entertaining? That's a matter of perspective, but, FFS, stop trying to convince us that it's anywhere near the AFL (or the major second tier leagues) in terms of net stamina, speed or skill levels so soon into its inception.

The AFL will be well aware that it social opinion is a big driver on a political level. It does not wish to appear as a non inclusive 'dinosaur' in an ever shrinking electronic world. In addition, more people playing Australian Rules Football from one specific demographic will mean they are less likely to be lost to other sports. It follows that media outlets, particularly those with a direct commercial relationships with the AFL, are going to follow suit.

I'm not saying throwing big bucks at social change is a bad thing if it forces attitudes in the long term. I have a view on that. To draw a parallel, the fact that road statistics and safety attitudes are demonstrably better than they were 50 years ago is testimony to law makers that blew off the tiresome, bogane 'nanny state' tags and tackled the issues head on.

I've known northerner for a number of years in different roles, and while we haven't always agreed, I'm happy to say (without giving too much away) that he is not speaking entirely from a layman's perspective on some things that he has said.

Regarding netball, I can honestly say that I've watched more on television and live than the football code that the Nine Network flog ad-nauseum in this Aussie Rules state. That said, I've never actually seen a men's netball game or heard much about it. Perhaps I would if I knew more. Maybe, and I'm just putting it out there, this might be the point northerner was making?

If my (sadly, limited) experience as a middle aged male in female dominated industries is any indicator, I can say with some conviction that male attitudes to women in men's 'traditional domains' are not alone in their need of change. "Equity" is not a one way street.

Maybe I should start up a new thread for that too. ;)
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 pm

First up good luck to all the females that want to give the sport a go at any level. The increase in numbers does justify the AFL's stance and prove they are getting it right.
The AFL want to achieve a couple of things, the first media domination. They have stretched their season by adding in Womens AFL to help take over the floundering interest in preseason games [notice the drop to 2 games] and AFLX. Back end that by increasing the length of the draft over more days and the same to the trade period.
The add on effect of this is that sponsor's and TV two of their big earners notice this. Sponsors want their product displayed before the biggest numbers they can and TV will pay the extra money because they receive more product to air as well. The main reason's 2 extra teams were added were the extra game they can show and it now gives the AFL a game each week in every mayor state, thus creating more media coverage. So the impression I have is that they strangle other sports by trying to lessen their coverage and taking more sponsor's and their money away from other sports and even lesser leagues like the SANFL. AFL certainly don't give a damn about any one but themselves. It would be interesting to see some numbers on how much sponsorship the AFL has gained over the last 2 decades and if other sports have lost or their % of $ from sponsorship has dropped.
The other is the culture of trying to attract more females to the sport because they are another number to the membership tallies, to ticket, so crowd numbers, mechanise sales and extra sponsor's that make products for women. If you can get mum to follow dad to the footy suddenly it's the whole family and the kids ensure the next generation of supporters. So even if Womens AFL is costing the AFL money to run again I get the impression that the cost is comfortably covered by the extra income from females attending games. The extra participants in the womens game is a massive blessing in that like others have stated it must lessen the numbers of more traditional women's sports like netball, have women discussing the game and how long before a big name female player starts spruiking a sponsor's football boot?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL