Thebarton Oval

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Thebarton Oval

Postby Pseudo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:33 am

o five wrote:Is there even a clubroom at Thebarton? I know it is only trials, but when North have played there nothing is open and your lucky if the light is on in the toilet. :oops:

I used to think that about Richmond. Then they upgraded the lighting. Now, having seen what it actually looks like, you're lucky when the light is OFF.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Mic » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 am

o five wrote:Is there even a clubroom at Thebarton? I know it is only trials, but when North have played there nothing is open and your lucky if the light is on in the toilet. :oops:

North played the Eagles about 10+ years ago there. I also thought the facilities were poor. I don't know why the oval gets getting mentioned on here as a possible SANFL venue.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby DOC » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 am

Might be the ex West Torrens folk.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Pseudo wrote:

I used to think that about Richmond. Then they upgraded the lighting. Now, having seen what it actually looks like, you're lucky when the light is OFF.

You need to visit the Norwood dungeon sometime soon if you think it’s bad at Richmond [emoji3]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby goddy11 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Mic wrote:

North played the Eagles about 10+ years ago there. I also thought the facilities were poor. I don't know why the oval gets getting mentioned on here as a possible SANFL venue.

I went there 5 years ago or so for a trial. It looked like it was a time capsule of something 1950's. As a WT member at the time of amalgamation moving to WO was the best think. Pleasant surrounds, better clubrooms parking better and were in the finals every year. Cheese and chalk.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 560 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:50 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Mic wrote:

I went there 5 years ago or so for a trial. It looked like it was a time capsule of something 1950's. As a WT member at the time of amalgamation moving to WO was the best think. Pleasant surrounds, better clubrooms parking better and were in the finals every year. Cheese and chalk.

Considering Torrens played at Footy Park in 1990 the merged club was always going to play at Woodville.
I much preferred Thebby to Woodville though, a much bettet atmosphere.
Norwood, Thebby and Prospect were the best grounds for atmosphere IMHO. Unley was OK before it got demolished and turned into a dog park too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby goddy11 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Good memory Wedgie. I forgot Footy Pk. I always hated Alberton for the obvious but it also never looked like it had anything done to it considering Port were the Premier club. The Bay oval is one I never go to. It doesn't fell like a SANFL club. Same as Unley.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby JK » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Funny how differently we all see it, I reckon the Bay is a great ground in a great area, always good atmosphere and plenty of post game options nearby
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:14 pm

goddy11 wrote:The Bay oval is one I never go to. It doesn't fell like a SANFL club.

Umm, the Bay Oval doesn’t “fell like a SANFL club”
It doesn’t even make sense.
And you questioned the original post? Bloody hell...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brett » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:28 pm

goddy11 wrote:Good memory Wedgie. I forgot Footy Pk. I always hated Alberton for the obvious but it also never looked like it had anything done to it considering Port were the Premier club. The Bay oval is one I never go to. It doesn't fell like a SANFL club. Same as Unley.

Probably the best 2 grounds to watch footy . Great atmosphere . Why would you not go to these grounds ?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Corona Man » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Spargo wrote:
goddy11 wrote:The Bay oval is one I never go to. It doesn't fell like a SANFL club.

Great oval down at the bay.... and more often than not you come away with the points.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Pseudo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Spargo wrote:

The Bay doesn't fell (sic) quite the same since the grandstand fell over in the wind...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby stan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 am

Before Adelaide oval was redeveloped it was a great place to watch football at. Of course I'm talking a different time when a lot was different. And Port v Norwood was actually Port v Norwood.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby goddy11 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:31 pm

In todays advertiser

Thebby ‘ideal’ for SANFL elite plan

SIMEON THOMAS-WILSON
THEBARTON Oval could become the answer to the SANFL’s search for a home for its elite football program.
At a parliamentary committee into the proposed hotel at Adelaide Oval, SANFL chief executive Jake Parkinson revealed that his organisation had started discussions with the Adelaide Footy League, formerly the SA Amateur Football League, the major tenant of the ground, to base the SA elite programs out of the inner-west location.
“We would love to be able to work with the league to have it as our solution to our elite programs,” he said. “That is currently an oval that doesn’t have a club on it. Wherever we take our football programs to a new oval typically there is a club there.
“It is a really good solution for us because we have the Adelaide Footy League, who have an ongoing maintenance bill, they need the oval used, and we need to have an oval that doesn’t have a team on it.”
Parkinson told the committee the SANFL needed to find up to $6 million for new training facilities for its elite training programs and that it had started discussions with “funding partners”.
Thebarton was home to the Crows’ AFLW team in 2017, before the club shifted to Norwood Oval last year.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Brett wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Good memory Wedgie. I forgot Footy Pk. I always hated Alberton for the obvious but it also never looked like it had anything done to it considering Port were the Premier club. The Bay oval is one I never go to. It doesn't fell like a SANFL club. Same as Unley.

Probably the best 2 grounds to watch footy . Great atmosphere . Why would you not go to these grounds ?

Unley Oval just doesn't feel like a football oval at all. This isn't helped by the fact that the opposition coach and players need to collect dog droppings off the ground prior to the Reserves. It still has too much of the feel of a temporary ground, more of a residential park.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Brett » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Really ? Havent heard that before . Have you thought about reporting this ? You're keen getting to the games that early . You should let the SANFL know , as that is terrible if true. I assume you dont attend from those comments but you should go . Get a bit of SANFL about ya.
I still say the 2 best grounds are Glenelg and Unley. Great atmosphere .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:15 pm

Brett wrote:Really ? Havent heard that before . Have you thought about reporting this ? You're keen getting to the games that early . You should let the SANFL know , as that is terrible if true. I assume you dont attend from those comments but you should go . Get a bit of SANFL about ya.
I still say the 2 best grounds are Glenelg and Unley. Great atmosphere .

Brett, being a council park, it can't be helped that there are dog remains on Unley Oval on match day mornings. Not all owners of dogs do the right thing and collect them. This has resulted in the first people present at Unley Oval having to patrol the surface for these remains on match days. On occasion, this has been opposition officials and players.
Yes, I do go, and have been going for fifty years.
You are entitled to your opinions re Glenelg and Unley Ovals though, just stating some facts. It is not Sturt's fault that Unley Oval has the feel of being a temporary ground. After all, that is what it is - a council park for six days out of seven, a temporary football oval for one day of the week. As for Glenelg Oval, I agree - it is a tremendous location for football. IMHO, it rivals Richmond Oval as the best venue to watch football at. I find Norwood Oval to be an oval I don't feel comfortable at. The close proximity of the concrete wall to the playing surface always has me shuddering inside about the risk of injury to players. Possibly the fact that we rarely win there doesn't help either. :D
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Ronnie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:20 pm

with the millions recently spent on Unley Oval by way of fencing, flood lighting, canteen, and change rooms, the balance has been tipped more in favour of a sporting facility. It is obviously more than an ordinary public park but it doesn't have the full amenities of a typical league venue, at least in terms of spectator viewing and fencing. The pressure was always on to open it up to public access which I believe Glenelg and Prospect Oval also have to some degree during the week.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby oldfella » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:50 pm

Being an older man and a bit unsteady on my feet my biggest issues for many of the grounds is the availability of parking close to the ground so on this basis souths oval, woodville oval and elizabeth oval ---- Richmond i have a car park within the oval.

When we had 10,000 crowds all oval had great match day atmosphere but now i feel the smaller ovals with crowd right up close to the play are best
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL