SANFL Digital Pass

All discussions to do with the SANFL

SANFL Digital Pass

Postby Brett » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:16 pm

I enjoy watching as many SANFL games as I can but is there a reason there is only one camera angle ?It would be good from the games point of view to see the Grandstand side as that where people stand ? Im not technically aware but if that what the SANFL , then do it professionally.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Digital Pass

Postby Big Phil » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Brett wrote:I enjoy watching as many SANFL games as I can but is there a reason there is only one camera angle ?It would be good from the games point of view to see the Grandstand side as that where people stand ? Im not technically aware but if that what the SANFL , then do it professionally.

There is already a thread started up on the Digital Pass - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42610

The reason for the one camera angle is because the vision that you see was only ever intended to be filmed for coaching purposes.

The contractor that does the filming is a Audio Visual business engaged by the SANFL to provide vision for reviewing of games by coaches.

The Digital Pass and coverage of years gone by (SANFL Streaming and Pine Lodge Studios etc) was derived from the existing resource already there.

It is never going to be a full on Production like you are with multiple camera angles because the demand is not there nor the funding to provide extra equipment.

In terms of filming from the opposite side of the grandstands, that is simply not possible for two very obvious reasons. First and foremost, the filming would then be directly into the sun and there is no infrastructure in place to film.

You would need to put in scaffolding, which often is expensive because of it's temporary nature, and can also require extensive approval from council and relevant OH&S compliance needing to be met.

In short, the product provided is fantastic in my opinion and I wouldn't be complaining about it as it is better than nothing or a lot of amateur productions that don't come close to the current product the SANFL offers.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:40 pm

They film from the opposite side of the grandstands at Alberton but ironically for North games thetes usually more people on the outer side.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Big Phil » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:20 am

Wedgie wrote:They film from the opposite side of the grandstands at Alberton but ironically for North games thetes usually more people on the outer side.

Yes, Alberton is the one exception.

But that is only because the council pulled down the scaffolding used to film from on the club room side.

There used to be a platform deck to film from up in the Williams Stand as well, but that got pulled out and was not allowed to be replaced when the council heritage listed it,

The games filmed at Alberton do have the glare issue from filming into the setting afternoon sun.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Brett » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:59 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Brett wrote:I enjoy watching as many SANFL games as I can but is there a reason there is only one camera angle ?It would be good from the games point of view to see the Grandstand side as that where people stand ? Im not technically aware but if that what the SANFL , then do it professionally.

There is already a thread started up on the Digital Pass - http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42610

The reason for the one camera angle is because the vision that you see was only ever intended to be filmed for coaching purposes.

The contractor that does the filming is a Audio Visual business engaged by the SANFL to provide vision for reviewing of games by coaches.

The Digital Pass and coverage of years gone by (SANFL Streaming and Pine Lodge Studios etc) was derived from the existing resource already there.

It is never going to be a full on Production like you are with multiple camera angles because the demand is not there nor the funding to provide extra equipment.

In terms of filming from the opposite side of the grandstands, that is simply not possible for two very obvious reasons. First and foremost, the filming would then be directly into the sun and there is no infrastructure in place to film.

You would need to put in scaffolding, which often is expensive because of it's temporary nature, and can also require extensive approval from council and relevant OH&S compliance needing to be met.

In short, the product provided is fantastic in my opinion and I wouldn't be complaining about it as it is better than nothing or a lot of amateur productions that don't come close to the current product the SANFL offers.

Im not complaining just wasn't aware of what you have said that's all . Yes it is better than nothing but that doesn't mean we just have to think its great . Interesting the coaches want vision from the side ? Most would want it from behind goals I would think. IMO I would hardly call it fantastic. ! lol. Have to turn the sound down most the times . 1 angle is not fantastic. Just my opinion .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Our coaches get down the ground vision at Noarlunga.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Brett » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Yeah most if not all do. I think Phil is part of the people who volunteer to help . I agree , not sure many would want side views .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Brett wrote:Yeah most if not all do. I think Phil is part of the people who volunteer to help . I agree , not sure many would want side views .

volunteer? :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Grenville » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Brett wrote:Yeah most if not all do. I think Phil is part of the people who volunteer to help . I agree , not sure many would want side views .

Yeah, I had a laugh as well.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:52 pm

Grenville wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yeah, I had a laugh as well.

Knowing Phil like I do, he would still do the role though if he did have to volunteer.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Big Phil » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:02 am

Almost all clubs now have permanent behind goals vision recorded each game.

The AV business that films the games also has a portable trailer with a telescopic camera on a large pole that films behind goals vision.

Noarlunga, Prospect, Unley, Elizabeth, Norwood and Alberton all now have cameras installed behind goals.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Brett » Fri May 03, 2019 10:00 pm

We need some technology re the Digital Pass. Remember the 'worm " with elections ? lol It is disgraceful unless we can some quality. It was just mentioned that South are in for a "long " season ". Its embarrassing the high pitched excitement . Certainly a shortage of quality excluding 2 or 3. We have lots that have knowledge but dont have the skill to commentate.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Brett » Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Walsh is embarrassing .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They film from the opposite side of the grandstands at Alberton but ironically for North games thetes usually more people on the outer side.

But that is only because the council pulled down the scaffolding used to film from on the club room side.

There used to be a platform deck to film from up in the Williams Stand as well, but that got pulled out and was not allowed to be replaced when the council heritage listed it,

The games filmed at Alberton do have the glare issue from filming into the setting afternoon sun.

Seems Ch7 have can film on the grandstand side of the ground.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Big Phil » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Seems Ch7 have can film on the grandstand side of the ground.

They must be happy to put a scaffold up and down at their own risk and cost.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Brett » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 pm

The only thing you can say is at least you see a game. I enjoy the SANFL and have the opportunity to watch some games . Im paying for it and expect more from those commentating . Know the players and the rules. Im no commentator but surely silence is not part of it. Its time for a fresh breed I think.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby goddy11 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 am

Brett wrote:The only thing you can say is at least you see a game. I enjoy the SANFL and have the opportunity to watch some games . Im paying for it and expect more from those commentating . Know the players and the rules. Im no commentator but surely silence is not part of it. Its time for a fresh breed I think.

The quality of commentary is subjective. I don't mind it. For me, Its been one of the big plusses (not many) that have come from the SANFL. You can always turn the volume down or not renew next year if it bothers you or just go to the match.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 560 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Spargo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:41 pm

SANFL App frozen two weeks straight now.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby goddy11 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Spargo wrote:SANFL App frozen two weeks straight now.

Mine worked fine. It may be something with your internet provider or what you are watching it on. :D
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 560 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Brett » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Brett wrote:The only thing you can say is at least you see a game. I enjoy the SANFL and have the opportunity to watch some games . Im paying for it and expect more from those commentating . Know the players and the rules. Im no commentator but surely silence is not part of it. Its time for a fresh breed I think.

The quality of commentary is subjective. I don't mind it. For me, Its been one of the big plusses (not many) that have come from the SANFL. You can always turn the volume down or not renew next year if it bothers you or just go to the match.

I go to matches . I like watching SANFL games but who likes watching a game via TV / Stream without commentary ?

Its passive revenue for the SANFL and an easy comment to say don't watch it . How about better quality so I don't cancel it.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL