Central V Glenelg

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Central V Glenelg

Postby Brett » Mon May 20, 2019 6:27 pm

mots02 wrote:Its the Bays Premiership to lose

I agree but if the mid season draft impacts that is crap. Its BS anyway .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby TDJ44 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 am

wild dog wrote:
northerner wrote:I am all for playing the kids, and they will be fine in long term.
But on Saturday Fort was leading the ruck and Auckland was #2. If Hannath was sharing the ruck duties with Auckland (who still gets the same opportunities he had) then we get to use Fort where the coaches would like to use him. Fort was needed in defence on either McBean, Reynolds or Hosie who were able to exploit our lack of height in defence.
I agree Hannath wasn't always as good as he could have been, but he would be pretty handy given our struggles with height atm.

I thought too much height last year was a problem. This year the 666 rule was supposed to inject scoring and a more position based game. It made sense not to have such height and inject some pace to the forward line. Problem for us thus far is the lack of pace. I did not see Saturdays game so cant comment on the defensive man ups, but I would much rather have some hard gut running types prepared to put pressure on the opposition than a 200cm+ KPP who for whatever reason cant take a contested grab and lacked the ability to get the ball.

northerner wrote:One of the young lads recruited from across town runs all day and never gives up on a contest and tackles hard. But he would drop 3 or 4 simple footpasses or handballs every week

Are you talking a tall here?

D.Pisani
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby TDJ44 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 am

northerner wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
northerner wrote:Last year Hannath was behind Fort in the pecking order and that's fair enough.
But for Season 2019, Hannath would be a better contributor around the ground than any of the 3 we have recruited. Yes they may well develop in seasons to come but in the here and now, we would surely be better off for his presence. On Saturday the coaching staff took to using Fraser Fort as a ruckman to have any sort of impact, and they would much rather use him in a Key Position.

So, you'd rather play Hannath, who's had numerous chances, and keep our 3 recruits in the two's.
Nup.
Play the recruits, that's what we got them for, chuck them in the deep end, they'll either get better or get pushed, like Jack did.

I am all for playing the kids, and they will be fine in long term.
But on Saturday Fort was leading the ruck and Auckland was #2. If Hannath was sharing the ruck duties with Auckland (who still gets the same opportunities he had) then we get to use Fort where the coaches would like to use him. Fort was needed in defence on either McBean, Reynolds or Hosie who were able to exploit our lack of height in defence.
I agree Hannath wasn't always as good as he could have been, but he would be pretty handy given our struggles with height atm.

Tim Auckland might be ok but Marsh and Robinson are reserves standard.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Postby northerner » Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm

wild dog wrote:
northerner wrote:I am all for playing the kids, and they will be fine in long term.

I thought too much height last year was a problem. This year the 666 rule was supposed to inject scoring and a more position based game. It made sense not to have such height and inject some pace to the forward line. Problem for us thus far is the lack of pace. I did not see Saturdays game so cant comment on the defensive man ups, but I would much rather have some hard gut running types prepared to put pressure on the opposition than a 200cm+ KPP who for whatever reason cant take a contested grab and lacked the ability to get the ball.

northerner wrote:One of the young lads recruited from across town runs all day and never gives up on a contest and tackles hard. But he would drop 3 or 4 simple footpasses or handballs every week

Are you talking a tall here?

Agree that the 666 rule is making the talls redundant if they do not contribute anything other than in ruck contests, but tall athletic types are having a field day up forward (Reynolds 5 goals on Saturday, Hoise and McBean 3 each). And Fraser Fort is one who can compete with them. But he was needed in the ruck due to the lack of output that our new lads are giving around the ground.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 431 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby StrayDog » Wed May 22, 2019 4:28 pm

am Bays wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
am Bays wrote:Bitches, no one beats us 13 times in a row at Elizabeth and gets away with it for a 14th time....

1994 to 2007?

Dont let facts get in the way of a cheeky sledge hey??

No sane SANFL fan should dis-respect Centrals for they have have achieved this Century.

I would love my club to be half as good as the standards Centrals set from 2000 to 2010.

I like how we are travelling right now but if there is one thing I've learnt as a Bays fans, much to my bitter disappointment in over 40 years of following them, no League flags are won in May.

The only thing we took away from Elizabeth yesterday is that we are another two points closer to qualifying for finals.

Long way to get yet for my mob.

Yeah, all good there am (and stampy ;) ). I recognised the banter even if it didn't seem it. :)

Like the league in general, I know my beloved 'Dogs have a bit of work to do. It helps me to remember we finished seventh, nigh on 20 years ago, before our good times started. :D
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Hazydog » Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
northerner wrote:
Grenville wrote:We were very, very poor. Bays were toying with us. Our cause wasn't helped by being knobbled at the selection table, it was ridiculous the lack of height and size in our team.

Correct. Fraser Fort was the only tall to contribute. We have no genuine tall up fwd and Madden was our onlt tall defender and he has been dwarfed against Brampton and McBean in consecutive weeks. And we have no ruckman who is able to contribute in any meaningful way at all. Usually I see reason behind some of our selection/recruiting decisions but to release Hannath and take on 3 unknowns seemed bizarre given Forts elevation to AFL.

On the flipside, Glenelg were very impressive. Balanced and brave. Good decision making and excellent overhead. And decent players still to return.

It's called planning for the future! Hannath had to go, wasn't going to succeed & the new guys are young & will get better.

With the SANFL comp eroding in relevance before our eyes, planning for the future that far in advance is questionable.
I’d suggest the 3 young ruckmen in question will need another couple of seasons at least to be genuinely competitive. No guarantee they will still be with us then as it seems the competition trend is towards a more transient playing list. Maybe that’s where we are behind the times in our thinking as we know what price Roy puts on loyalty and perseverance.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby TDJ44 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Hazydog wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
northerner wrote:
Grenville wrote:We were very, very poor. Bays were toying with us. Our cause wasn't helped by being knobbled at the selection table, it was ridiculous the lack of height and size in our team.

Correct. Fraser Fort was the only tall to contribute. We have no genuine tall up fwd and Madden was our onlt tall defender and he has been dwarfed against Brampton and McBean in consecutive weeks. And we have no ruckman who is able to contribute in any meaningful way at all. Usually I see reason behind some of our selection/recruiting decisions but to release Hannath and take on 3 unknowns seemed bizarre given Forts elevation to AFL.

On the flipside, Glenelg were very impressive. Balanced and brave. Good decision making and excellent overhead. And decent players still to return.

It's called planning for the future! Hannath had to go, wasn't going to succeed & the new guys are young & will get better.

With the SANFL comp eroding in relevance before our eyes, planning for the future that far in advance is questionable.
I’d suggest the 3 young ruckmen in question will need another couple of seasons at least to be genuinely competitive. No guarantee they will still be with us then as it seems the competition trend is towards a more transient playing list. Maybe that’s where we are behind the times in our thinking as we know what price Roy puts on loyalty and perseverance.

There's no such thing as planning for the future.
It's called luck keeping your squad together and possibly adding some quality to your squad.
Unfortunately we have a big turnover every season and this why we are mediocre.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL