Mid Season Draft ideas

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Mid Season Draft ideas

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm

How can the SANFL protest the Mid season draft ??

They expressed their concerns and the AFL has gone with it anyway. sANFL is at a bit of loss on what to do next.

Any Ideas ??

I’ve gone with start the season later and play the SANFL GF after the AFL GF like we use to. SANFL clubs can gain access to players drafted in mid season draft for finals as justification

Clubs affected will have access to recruiting port/crows marquee/academy players as replacements transfer free.

Increase of salary cap due to mid season draft.

Minimum transfer fee of $30-$40k paid to clubs for those drafted mid season

Extended transfer deadline for those clubs effected for replacements.

Increase how much crows have to field a reserves side to play in sanfl. Make a nominal fee for Port to gain access now due to mid season draft.

Remove afl clubs from sanfl due to mid season draft wasn’t in the contract when they entered. You can have a mid season draft or access to sanfl but not both as it is further destroying the integrity of the comp.

Any others ???
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Re: Mid Season Draft ideas

Postby darley16 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:16 pm

>SANFL clubs only contract players who commit for the entire season, no AFL escape clause for either supplementary or mid-season drafts.
>AFL realise their destruction of other footy comp's (fat chance) and scrap mid-season and supplementary list drafts and conduct a true mid-season trade period between the 18 AFL clubs ONLY.
>SANFL unite and fund a retention scheme where any player drafted can have their player payment match that offered by the AFL without any impact on existing salary caps

If nothing is done and this madness continues, all 8 clubs to go into voluntary liquidation and fold up the league, as this immediate outcome is simply bringing forward the inevitable as opposed to witnessing a continuation of this slow and painful death by a thousand cuts.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Pseudo » Thu May 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Get in some contract lawyers to inspect the standard SANFL player contracts.

Players with AFL aspirations clearly have an escape clause written into the contract enabling them to break it in the event that they are offered a place on an AFL list. Such a clause was clearly written in the context of there being AFL drafts outside of the football season. The context has been changed by the AFL, time to update player contracts.

Have the escape clause modified to prevent it being exercised mid-season. At the very least have it modified to include a raft of penalties for breakage. Make it hefty - if the player can't afford it, I'm sure his new AFL master can help out. Compensation need not be monetary.

Get some serious legal talent in to engineer this. It is of interest to all clubs, so perhaps the SANFL could organise and pay for it, provided that Olsen could get his face out of Gil's arse for long enough to approve the expenditure.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Trader » Thu May 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Pseudo wrote:Get in some contract lawyers to inspect the standard SANFL player contracts.

Players with AFL aspirations clearly have an escape clause written into the contract enabling them to break it in the event that they are offered a place on an AFL list. Such a clause was clearly written in the context of there being AFL drafts outside of the football season. The context has been changed by the AFL, time to update player contracts.

Have the escape clause modified to prevent it being exercised mid-season. At the very least have it modified to include a raft of penalties for breakage. Make it hefty - if the player can't afford it, I'm sure his new AFL master can help out. Compensation need not be monetary.

Get some serious legal talent in to engineer this. It is of interest to all clubs, so perhaps the SANFL could organise and pay for it, provided that Olsen could get his face out of Gil's arse for long enough to approve the expenditure.

If you do this you'll find anyone who still thinks they are a chance of being drafted all of a sudden start playing VFL or WAFL. You'll become more irrelevant even quicker.

I get it, it sucks, but the bottom line is you're the small fish here. Suck it up.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Contracts, not worth the paper they're written on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby LMA » Thu May 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Could the draft actually be a blessing in disguise, could players with AFL aspirations play longer in the SANFL in the hope of being drafted rather than chase big coin elsewhere once they think their opportunity has passed.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby shoe boy » Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 am

Is this just part of the pathway ?
Not a lot of difference when grass roots clubs loose quality players to league clubs , we look at that as the pathway to league footy and maybe AFL .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby PanthersFan » Fri May 31, 2019 10:25 am

No it shouldn’t be just part of the pathway to have one of your best players taken half way through the season with no compensation. Everyone expects to lose players at the end of the year to the AFL drafts in November, no one is ever going to begrudge players or the AFL for that because that is the ultimate goal for a player. But how about preserving the oldest running state league in Australia by not belittling it to nothing more than a “try out” comp. The SANFL is still relevant as evidenced by the Grand Final crowd last year and attendances are up so far this year. I am not ashamed to say that I love South Adelaide (even though I’m too young to have seen them play in a GF let alone win one!) and this mid season draft has unsettled my team. There needs to be a solution to this, what it is..... I’m not so sure yet.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pseudo » Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 am

Booney wrote:Contracts, not worth the paper they're written on.

There is a fair bit of truth in the above statement, as will be demonstrated when the Clowns seek to exit their 15-year agreement early.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby marbles » Fri May 31, 2019 10:54 am

yea right, stay in sanfl and get 300 a game or go to AFL and get 10,000 a game.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Spargo » Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 am

marbles wrote:yea right, stay in sanfl and get 300 a game or go to AFL and get 10,000 a game.

#missingthepoint
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby marbles » Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 am

Spargo wrote:
marbles wrote:yea right, stay in sanfl and get 300 a game or go to AFL and get 10,000 a game.

#missingthepoint

well the AFL team should compensate the games played by the player for the season, if souths paid that dude 300 a game for 10 games, Sydney owe Souths $3000 as compensation.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby PanthersFan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:15 pm

marbles wrote:
Spargo wrote:

#missingthepoint

well the AFL team should compensate the games played by the player for the season, if souths paid that dude 300 a game for 10 games, Sydney owe Souths $3000 as compensation.

Ideally what you mentioned plus whatever up front contract payment we paid him, plus moving costs plus an agreed to transfer fee. If the AFL club won’t pay the requested transfer fee then it’s a no deal.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby Tiger83 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:40 pm

PanthersFan wrote:
marbles wrote:
Spargo wrote:

#missingthepoint

Ideally what you mentioned plus whatever up front contract payment we paid him, plus moving costs plus an agreed to transfer fee. If the AFL club won’t pay the requested transfer fee then it’s a no deal.

And then the player you are holding up from playing at a higher level gives you the middle finger and leaves anyway, and soon the club gets a reputation for being difficult. Makes it hard to attract and retain recruits and see how far that gets you. Happens all the time in every league in Australia.
However I would agree that any player drafted in season should have a transfer fee of some sort paid to the club supplying the player.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby JK » Fri May 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Tiger83 wrote:And then the player you are holding up from playing at a higher level gives you the middle finger and leaves anyway, and soon the club gets a reputation for being difficult. Makes it hard to attract and retain recruits and see how far that gets you. Happens all the time in every league in Australia.
However I would agree that any player drafted in season should have a transfer fee of some sort paid to the club supplying the player.

That money would then have to be split 8 ways, so im not sure it would placate any clubs that actually lost player(s)?

Perhaps if transfer fees ever come into play for the MSD they should be exempt from the SANFL pooling system?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Tiger83 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 pm

JK wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:And then the player you are holding up from playing at a higher level gives you the middle finger and leaves anyway, and soon the club gets a reputation for being difficult. Makes it hard to attract and retain recruits and see how far that gets you. Happens all the time in every league in Australia.

That money would then have to be split 8 ways, so im not sure it would placate any clubs that actually lost player(s)?

Perhaps if transfer fees ever come into play for the MSD they should be exempt from the SANFL pooling system?

Why would you split it 8 ways?? If the player was drafted from Glenelg, they get the money. If he gets drafted from Centrals, they get the money etc etc. Why would any other club think they deserve a slice?
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby JK » Fri May 31, 2019 2:40 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
JK wrote:

Why would you split it 8 ways?? If the player was drafted from Glenelg, they get the money. If he gets drafted from Centrals, they get the money etc etc. Why would any other club think they deserve a slice?

Because that’s not how it works these days
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby PanthersFan » Fri May 31, 2019 3:30 pm

JK wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:
JK wrote:

Because that’s not how it works these days

I must admit I was ignorant of the transfer fee being split up. Yes it should only go to the affected club, they could call it a “Compensation Fee”.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby PanthersFan » Fri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Also I’m not suggesting the club demands $100k, but they should be able to ask for $20k-$40k. I think it’s reasonable to expect that from the AFL teams. Then again, maybe they don’t have the money either because they clearly haven’t spent it on recruiting their 40+ players efficiently.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Piss off the mid season draft and have one approx a month after the normal one. Call it a free agent if you like, the idea is each AFL club can if they so wish draft say 4 players - perhaps a mid, a ruck, a forward and a defender to cover only an end of season loss for the next season. Using an example Mitch Gregg - Port Adelaide draft him, he can train with the club during their preseason so understand any game plans [up to the AFL club how much they tell him] and gain the necessary fitness so be able to get up to speed quicker if needed but getting some compensation has he would lose money from a normal job. He then goes to play with Norwood for the season but the Redlegs go in knowing they could lose him at any time so need to recruit to cover if he does. Perhaps a time limit of up to June 30th or July 30th could be put in place, after which he can't be called up. If his AFL/SANFL or VFL club doesn't make finals he would then be allowed to go back to play for Norwood if they do.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Board index   Football  SANFL