Roy Laird’s last season coaching

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Roy Laird’s last season coaching

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Thank you Lairdy for providing what will remain some of my greatest lifelong memories. The era from 2000-2012 as a 17-29 year old was such a special period for more than just the wins but the comradery, mateship, parties, highs, lows, pre grand final nerves etc that will live on until eternity.

The way this has been handled right to the end speak volumes of both Lairdy and the club. The writing was on the wall but there still has to be a place in football for loyalty/honour and sentiment and both parties have shown this.

I hope the club makes a massive deal about Lairdys last game. I would be the first their if they were to throw an 'after party' style event to celebrate Lairds achievements and longevity which I don't believe will ever happen again. Maybe bring back some of the players he coached etc.

Sadly as others have mentioned I believe we have not only lost a Centrals legend but arguably one of the last SANFL voices.

Its been a pleasure!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:04 pm

whufc wrote:Thank you Lairdy for providing what will remain some of my greatest lifelong memories. The era from 2000-2012 as a 17-29 year old was such a special period for more than just the wins but the comradery, mateship, parties, highs, lows, pre grand final nerves etc that will live on until eternity.

The way this has been handled right to the end speak volumes of both Lairdy and the club. The writing was on the wall but there still has to be a place in football for loyalty/honour and sentiment and both parties have shown this.

I hope the club makes a massive deal about Lairdys last game. I would be the first their if they were to throw an 'after party' style event to celebrate Lairds achievements and longevity which I don't believe will ever happen again. Maybe bring back some of the players he coached etc.

Sadly as others have mentioned I believe we have not only lost a Centrals legend but arguably one of the last SANFL voices.

Its been a pleasure!

yep, a huge party, with all the past players and officials of Roy's time invited.
And just as a big F##K YOU to the SANFL & AFL, we'll forfeit the match that day!! :D
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:23 pm

How many years did Laird play at the club

I’m guessing he was there in some capacity remembering he coached the ressies for over 25 years of his life asa player or coach.
whufc
Coach

Postby Al22 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Roy played 20 games u19s in 1988. Interesting but unrelated fact from reading the 1988 Annual Report: CDFC player payments for 1988 were $330,000. About the same as 2019, but 31 years later! No pokies then either. The SANFL really has fallen on hard times. The treasurers report states "player payments reached quite ridiculous heights"! Nowadays they are ridiculous in the other direction.
Al22
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:31 pm

whufc wrote:How many years did Laird play at the club

I’m guessing he was there in some capacity remembering he coached the ressies for over 25 years of his life asa player or coach.

87 league games from 1989 to 1997, then straight into coaching roles.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:27 pm

30 year service to the club the

Pretty decent effort!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Like the AFL have the Jock McHale Medal for the AFL Premiership Winning Coach, should the SANFL, in time, consider a SANFL version named after Roy?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Brett » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:37 pm

Alan Stewart started the dynasty IMO. I remember him being really annoyed when interviewed after losing a GF against Port in the 90's. He was not happy just making it and said that to the TV reporter. That culture was then installed and Laird carried it on. Centrals would lose a game rarely under Laird but even if they won he wasn't happy and could see areas to improve and said so. He never installed complacency .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Brett wrote:Alan Stewart started the dynasty IMO. I remember him being really annoyed when interviewed after losing a GF against Port in the 90's. He was not happy just making it and said that to the TV reporter. That culture was then installed and Laird carried it on. Centrals would lose a game rarely under Laird but even if they won he wasn't happy and could see areas to improve and said so. He never installed complacency .

I reckon you can go one before Stewart & say Kerley changed the culture of the club.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Grenville » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Spargo wrote:
Brett wrote:Alan Stewart started the dynasty IMO. I remember him being really annoyed when interviewed after losing a GF against Port in the 90's. He was not happy just making it and said that to the TV reporter. That culture was then installed and Laird carried it on. Centrals would lose a game rarely under Laird but even if they won he wasn't happy and could see areas to improve and said so. He never installed complacency .

I reckon you can go one before Stewart & say Kerley changed the culture of the club.

Stewart was the one who drew a line in the sand and said "no more".
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Brett wrote:Alan Stewart started the dynasty IMO. I remember him being really annoyed when interviewed after losing a GF against Port in the 90's. He was not happy just making it and said that to the TV reporter.

1995 Grand final, IIRC? I remember seeing that on the telly, he was really pissed off - you don't often see that kind of frustration post-grand final.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Grenville wrote:
Spargo wrote:

But Kerley was the one who came in & told them the rest of the league didn’t really respect them.
He initiated the change of the predominantly white guernsey & socks. He went about changing perceptions & standards.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Grenville » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Spargo wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Spargo wrote:

But Kerley was the one who came in & told them the rest of the league didn’t really respect them.
He initiated the change of the predominantly white guernsey & socks. He went about changing perceptions & standards.

To a point, Stewie was far more influential though. Put everyone on notice, starting with the skipper.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby JK » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Magellan wrote:
Brett wrote:Alan Stewart started the dynasty IMO. I remember him being really annoyed when interviewed after losing a GF against Port in the 90's. He was not happy just making it and said that to the TV reporter.

1995 Grand final, IIRC? I remember seeing that on the telly, he was really pissed off - you don't often see that kind of frustration post-grand final.

Thought it was 96’? Was a long time ago but always thought after consecutive GF losses he gave senior coaching away? His cranky interview seemed to set the tone for a new win at costs attitude that became obvious in the 2000’s.

Dogs were a bit stiff in 97’ too, Norwood only just held them out in the Prelim
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 pm

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Thought it was 96’? Was a long time ago but always thought after consecutive GF losses he gave senior coaching away? His cranky interview seemed to set the tone for a new win at costs attitude that became obvious in the 2000’s.

Dogs were a bit stiff in 97’ too, Norwood only just held them out in the Prelim

Wright coached in 96 and 97.

PS The change at Central definately started with Stewart.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Groucho » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Spargo wrote:

NO. Daryl Hicks implemented the white guernsey and socks. Kerley wanted to change the guernsey but wasn't able to, he did bring in better socks though. In fact when the company delivered the new socks they were incorrectly designed in that they were white in the bottom third. Management were just going to take thenm but Kerley made them send them back and made the company send the correct ones.

Daryl Hicks also implemented a better playing culture.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Groucho wrote:
Spargo wrote:

NO. Daryl Hicks implemented the white guernsey and socks. Kerley wanted to change the guernsey but wasn't able to, he did bring in better socks though. In fact when the company delivered the new socks they were incorrectly designed in that they were white in the bottom third. Management were just going to take thenm but Kerley made them send them back and made the company send the correct ones.

Daryl Hicks also implemented a better playing culture.

Sorry, you’ve misunderstood stood me.
My post meant to say that Kerley wanted to get rid of the white guernsey/socks.
Depends who you talk to I guess, but Centrals people involved with the club that I know told me firsthand that Kerley was the one who changed the club.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Groucho » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 am

That's probably is the case, he did shake things up and he did want to get rid of the white guernsey and socks. He didn't succeed with the guernsey but he did manage to get the socks changed thank goodness.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 am

The "Conversation with Cornsey" where he speaks to Ray McLean from Leading Teams outlines Stewart's impact on the club and the impact McLean had in his very early days with Leading Teams, well worth a listen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 am

Groucho wrote:That's probably is the case, he did shake things up and he did want to get rid of the white guernsey and socks. He didn't succeed with the guernsey but he did manage to get the socks changed thank goodness.

I can recall watching whatever Channel Seven's 6:30pm current affairs show was called in early 1988, where they interviewed Kerley about his upcoming coaching at Centrals. It was pretty big news, given his record and Centrals years of disappointment.

The uniform question was raised, and Kerls expressed his dismay for the amount of white in it, particularly the socks. You could tell he wasn't happy and wanted to change it it, because he exclaimed, "umpires wear white socks!!"

The funny thing was, at the time, umpires actually wore black socks.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL