Round 17, Woodville West Torrens v Adelaide reserves

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 17, Woodville West Torrens v Adelaide reserves

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Sunday 18th August, 2:10 pm - Oval Avenue
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: Round 17, Woodville West Torrens v Adelaide reserves

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Crowserves by 23pts.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1205 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby matt35 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Crows to win a low scoring game in the wet by 18 points.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby wedgetail » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:30 pm

Horrendous conditions at Oval Ave today. Well done to all those who braved the elements. A shame the weather spoilt the community day, it is a great concept and well done to Phil Hernden and his organising team. He budgeted for a crowd of 6000 today (given fine weather) and was still quite happy with the 4600 that went through the gates. Unfortunately most didn't stay for the main game due to the conditions. Eagles wanted it more today and got the deserved result. J Hayes best again and will go close to winning the B & F. Sharrad and Thommo also good along with Goldy.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby whybother » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:46 am

Its a bit of a spin to say that most didn't stay because of the conditions. They didn't stay because they weren't interested in the game: they were there for the kids carnival only. The 4000 crows supporters also stayed away (again). In fact there seemed to be zero interest in supporting the Crows reserve teams.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:53 am

whybother wrote:Its a bit of a spin to say that most didn't stay because of the conditions. They didn't stay because they weren't interested in the game: they were there for the kids carnival only. The 4000 crows supporters also stayed away (again). In fact there seemed to be zero interest in supporting the Crows reserve teams.

For want of any SANFL discourse at all, I listened to the Life FM call of the game - or perhaps more accurately had it on in the background while I attended to other things. Prior to the game the callers interviewed a lass from the Clowns cheer squad. Under questioning she admitted to being a Sturt fan and would barrack for the Blues against the interlopers. Speaks volumes, I reckon.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Ronnie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:00 am

Pseudo wrote:
whybother wrote:Its a bit of a spin to say that most didn't stay because of the conditions. They didn't stay because they weren't interested in the game: they were there for the kids carnival only. The 4000 crows supporters also stayed away (again). In fact there seemed to be zero interest in supporting the Crows reserve teams.

For want of any SANFL discourse at all, I listened to the Life FM call of the game - or perhaps more accurately had it on in the background while I attended to other things. Prior to the game the callers interviewed a lass from the Clowns cheer squad. Under questioning she admitted to being a Sturt fan and would barrack for the Blues against the interlopers. Speaks volumes, I reckon.

Unless they have all had heart transplants, you would expect loyalty to their SANFL side would come before the Crows in a SANFL setting. one reason why the Ravens attract no one apart from the very odd Tex/Eddie boutique game.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Brett » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Yes agree . This is a fair it of spin . How many paid to get in ? Kids are free anyway. The Eagles use it to spruik attendance numbers . Good to get kids involved but where is the incentive for the Adults to stay . What has been done to keep the Parents stay ? Would love to hear that. It false numbers .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Brendan M » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Extremely wet, icy and windy all day. Eagles just too committed and strong in the end. Normally this game gets a good attendance of 'stayers', people probably didn't want their kids to succumb to pneumonia - very unreasonable really. High fives to Scott Lewis, great servant of the club and a great bloke.
Brendan M
Rookie

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby RB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Brendan M wrote:Normally this game gets a good attendance of 'stayers'

Not what I've heard, but granted I've never seen a game featuring AFL reserves.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby wedgetail » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Brett wrote:Yes agree . This is a fair it of spin . How many paid to get in ? Kids are free anyway. The Eagles use it to spruik attendance numbers . Good to get kids involved but where is the incentive for the Adults to stay . What has been done to keep the Parents stay ? Would love to hear that. It false numbers .

I would like to hear what your club has done to encourage people to go to a Crows game?

Sure there are many kids there but they are with adults who will spend money on food and drink.

It's also about building relationships with the community and the various organisations who had stalls there had planty of people visiting when I was there. Rather than take the narrow view of 'inflating crowd numbers', why not take the wider view of the Eagles actually doing something to promote their club. It's not actually about the Crows, it's using the absence of a reserve game to have masses of kids playing footy in a carnival with a community atmosphere. If the Eagles can also make some $ out of it, well and good.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby whybother » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am

Since I started this thread, I might as well finish it. It was not my intention in any way to disparaged the efforts of the Eagles: I have been a member/follower since 1962. A lot of thick & thin in that time. My point was that the crowd numbers are used to judge the "health" of the competition, and my guess that there wasn't many more than 1000 watching the game. I was on the eastern side with my dedicated group and there were probably only about 15 there. We could all see that the stands weren't packed. The silence of the crowd when the AFL Reserves scored was deafening. The lack of support for the local game is hidden by the inflated number attending for the community stuff. Good on them, but don't confuse the numbers as a tick for the SANFL.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Board index   Football  SANFL