Glenelg V Port Grand Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby RB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:46 pm

I meant monetary compensation. But yes, winning the SANFL premiership is the ultimate goal for Glenelg footballers.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:04 pm

I've often read/ heard not just regular folk but reporters and people who've made careers of footy, talk about a side/ player who seems just not to be interested, and that's in situations without all the politics and inconsistencies a side following a different set of rules brings to the equation.
I can't see why it's such a stretch to pose the same question here.
Unfortunately, regardless of how hard they try, they will always have this question hanging over them. It would be more unusual to not bring it up IMHO.
It's the system at fault. You cannot blame the individual parts operating within it's obvious inconsistencies.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:25 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:The powers first sanfl flag still eludes them.

In all seriousness. They were bullied today. If hats the depth for the power I’d be very concerned as a port fan. They were soft.

What about a bit of respect to the SANFL clubs for being formidable opposition. Look around the country's state leagues and see the domination of AFL listed reserves sides there. If I was a player of these clubs I would be sickened by the disregard some of you blokes give them. Believe!

It's the default position for them mate. They argue we are/aren't the PAFC when they choose ( noting we're a new club but we've lost our last 6 GF's at Adelaide Oval - yes, chuckle with me ) instead of highlighting how good the Bays have been all year and how good they were yesterday.

Last 8 at Adelaide Oval.
It goes Sturt, Sturt, Sturt, North, North, Norwood, Sturt and now Glenelg.

And 9 of the last 10 if you go back to 1964 with South's win. Better leave it there, though - if you go back further, Port's records get significantly better!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Grenville » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Worst SANFL loss for me was that 96 Prelim when Hodges sunk us from the boundary line. I knew he wasn't going to miss that and it wasn't an easy shot. I went with Babs and Whitey and I was so clearly gutted they didn't even sink the boot in.

regards,

REB

Much obliged to your mob for leaving enough shit sandwiches for the following week for us to consume. Utter c**t of a day was had.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Grenville wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Worst SANFL loss for me was that 96 Prelim when Hodges sunk us from the boundary line. I knew he wasn't going to miss that and it wasn't an easy shot. I went with Babs and Whitey and I was so clearly gutted they didn't even sink the boot in.

regards,

REB

Much obliged to your mob for leaving enough shit sandwiches for the following week for us to consume. Utter c**t of a day was had.

They certainly got Scotty ready for the GF. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Grenville » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:54 pm

The best way I can describe the way the Bays played this year is that's how I'd like my club to play. A hard, tough, skilled, unified group who all bought into a quality game plan and worked their arses off for the jumper. My mob lacked a lot of those qualities this year. Norwood had a comparable list if not better than the Bays but they didn't tick a lot of the boxes I mentioned and it cost them. I don't necessarily think some Power blokes didn't try, you always want to win a Grannie. What I think they lacked was a genuine passion for the jumper that the Bays had, that when you need to go, you just do it instinctively because you don't want to let the bloke next to you down. Michael Virgin is the perfect example yesterday. The genuine Magpies would not have performed like that yesterday, they had a heart and soul and would have done anything to turn the game around. The pretenders in the prison bar guernseys yesterday showed that they are not the genuine article.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Did Glenelg have more AFL experience players than Port yesterday ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby carey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm

shoe boy wrote:Did Glenelg have more AFL experience players than Port yesterday ?

Yes.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Grenville » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Booney wrote:
Grenville wrote:

regards,

REB

They certainly got Scotty ready for the GF. :lol:

Fu**, cu**, fu**...... there goes 5 years of therapy down the shitter.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:58 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:looking like a side that couldn’t care what the outcome is.

Making that observation from the outside with no knowledge of how the players think or feel is pretty ordinary.

That's the beauty of footy though, 99% of the crowd have no knowledge of how the players think/feel going into a game, but there is no place to hide once you cross the white line, your actions do the talking and supporters/observers have the right to have an opinion based on what they see.

I feel the 2 week break hurt Port, it was 2 weeks they had to sit around doing nothing, while many of their mates are on holidays.

Stone also clearly out coached Lokan, it was a fantastic strategic performance. So many times the switch of play found a Glenelg player loose on the wing to get the ball inside our 50. Port didn't once lower their eyes going inside 50, dumping it on Frampton's head was the only focus they had going forward.

How good was Josh Scott, his hardness at every single ******* contest was unbelievable.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Congratulations to all the long suffering Bays fans. Celebrate long and hard.

EAD Port Fans.

What a great crowd it was.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby LMA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:looking like a side that couldn’t care what the outcome is.

Making that observation from the outside with no knowledge of how the players think or feel is pretty ordinary.

That's the beauty of footy though, 99% of the crowd have no knowledge of how the players think/feel going into a game, but there is no place to hide once you cross the white line, your actions do the talking and supporters/observers have the right to have an opinion based on what they see.

I feel the 2 week break hurt Port, it was 2 weeks they had to sit around doing nothing, while many of their mates are on holidays.

Stone also clearly out coached Lokan, it was a fantastic strategic performance. So many times the switch of play found a Glenelg player loose on the wing to get the ball inside our 50. Port didn't once lower their eyes going inside 50, dumping it on Frampton's head was the only focus they had going forward.

How good was Josh Scott, his hardness at every single ******* contest was unbelievable.

It was like Ken took the reins for the day.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Ronnie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Stone v Lokan that was one area Port were never going to win in.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:28 pm

RB wrote:The term 'bruise-free football' has often been bandied about in regards to the Power Reserves, and their finals performances have been contrasted with those of the 'Old Magpies' who famously brought a whole new level of hardness come September.

You didn't watch the 2nd semi final, did you?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:The term 'bruise-free football' has often been bandied about in regards to the Power Reserves, and their finals performances have been contrasted with those of the 'Old Magpies' who famously brought a whole new level of hardness come September.

The modern day Port Adelaide save the bruise free football for Grand Final Days......long may it continue.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:37 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

The modern day Port Adelaide save the bruise free football for Grand Final Days......long may it continue.

And Centrals are back at the arsehole end of the ladder.....where they belong. :-BD
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Grenville » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

And Centrals are back at the arsehole end of the ladder.....where they belong. :-BD

The first part is factually correct you bastard.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Captain_Bulldog » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:33 pm

Congratulations Glenelg! A fantastic season, topped off with the result you deserved. If we couldn't be up there it's great to see another SANFL drought broken!

I hope all Tigers fans and posters on here had a great night celebrating!

Yesterday would have felt very similar to what we experienced in 2000, it was your time! :D
Captain_Bulldog
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Wedgie wrote:Not trolling. Seriously interested in any reports/photos from Alberton tonight out on the ground.

I had a lift home parked right outside the Riverbank Stand and we left on the siren so we were back there pretty quickly.

I stayed until about 7, I'd have guessed 200 or so while I was there, would have been another 50 or 100 or so ( a train full I'd say ) walking in as I left.

Other reports were around the 300 mark, tops. I didn't take any photos.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

In fairness I would rather be at the arsehole of the ladder than continually not show up on GF Day. If you don't win it you might as well come last.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL