Centrals announce new coach - Jeff Andrews

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Centrals announce new coach - Jeff Andrews

Postby blood bath » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 pm

On behalf of the Central District Football Club, we would like to announce our new Full-time Senior Coach, Jeff Andrews.

Jeff has been an assistant coach at the Werribee Football Club for the past two seasons, coaching under Mark Williams in 2019.

He also boasts previous experience in the state-league system, having served as an assistant coach with Preston in the VFL in 1999 and as an assistant coach with the Calder Cannons TAC Cup program in two stints from 2000 to 2005. He then took a break from coaching to focus on his business ventures.

He then returned to coaching where it all started at the Macedon Football Club in 2014, where he broke a 41 year premiership drought in his third season as Senior Coach.

Jeff said he is excited for the adventure of moving to Adelaide with his wife, and the opportunity to coach and be among a Club with such a great involvement in the surrounding areas.

"I love the professionalism of coaching at a State League Club and the challenge of facing teams with AFL listed players."

President David Cavenett said "I am pleased to welcome Jeff Andrews as the senior coach of the CDFC. Jeff's Energy, preparation and attention to detail was clearly evident during the interview process and has left us in no doubt that he is prepared and ready to lead this Football Club back into contention."

"We welcome Jeff and his wife Cathy to the CDFC and look forward to assisting Jeff in getting this Club back to finals football."
blood bath
Under 16s

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Centrals announce new coach - Jeff Andrews

Postby blood bath » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Advertiser: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/af ... 26aa49f5fa

New Central District coach Jeff Andrews admits to being a little daunted taking charge of the Bulldogs after seven-times flag winner Roy Laird held the role for 17 years.

But the chance to have a head coaching role in the SANFL at such a proud club as the Bulldogs also excites him, after two seasons as an assistant at VFL club Werribee, the second under Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams.

Andrews has been appointed Bulldogs coach for three years and will start full-time with the club in two weeks.

“It is a new chapter for Central and I’m excited to be part of that chapter,” Andrews said. “I’ve been an assistant at state league level for the past couple of years and I wanted to coach at this level, that is the most important thing.

“There is a good feel at the club and I think we can do good things together.”

Andrews, 51, took Macedon from 10th to premiers in four seasons at the Riddell Football League club, before joining Werribee as an assistant in 2018.

His primary role was defensive coach, as well as development work. He also coached at the Calder Cannons for three seasons.

While I worked with the defence, I also had a big emphasis on development,” Andrews said. “Having worked in the TAC Cup, I’m big on development and helping blokes achieve their goals.

“That is something I enjoy. In the past couple of years the club has not been where it wants to be, so I’m excited by the opportunity to help lift it back up.”

Andrews said he had learned plenty from Williams, who set up an AFL environment and football program at Werribee.

“From strength and conditioning to player development, I learnt a lot about building quality programs and setting standards.”
Andrews met the Bulldogs players on Tuesday night. Pre-season work will start late this month.

The Bulldogs, hampered by injuries and draft losses in the past two years, have not played finals since being beaten by Adelaide in the elimination final in 2016.
blood bath
Under 16s

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Love it, resume looks to be a good fit and exactly what I think we need.

We are not a one year fix give the bloke time.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dogs64 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:17 pm

He's got a difficult job ahead of him. Doesn't matter how good a coach he may or may not be, we need about 5 new quality players. Hope he can bring some.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Dogs64 wrote:He's got a difficult job ahead of him. Doesn't matter how good a coach he may or may not be, we need about 5 new quality players. Hope he can bring some.

Recruiting has never been easy for us, particularly since reductions in the salary cap. Being located a bit further out from the CBD than most clubs unfortunately does seem to have an impact on players' decisions. Sadly there is nothing we can do about this except try to gain employment for players in the Elizabeth area. Unfortunately we don't have the money to employ 15 receptionists at the club ;)
Last edited by bulldogproud on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby StrayDog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm

whufc wrote:Love it, resume looks to be a good fit and exactly what I think we need.

Agreed.

Welcome to the CDFC family Jeff, you've got some big shoes to fill.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:50 pm

whufc wrote:Love it, resume looks to be a good fit and exactly what I think we need.

A fantastic choice; welcome Jeff and family to a wonderful club!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:18 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:He's got a difficult job ahead of him. Doesn't matter how good a coach he may or may not be, we need about 5 new quality players. Hope he can bring some.

Recruiting has never been easy for us, particularly since reductions in the salary cap. Being located a bit further out from the CBD than most clubs unfortunately does seem to have an impact on players' decisions. Sadly there is nothing we can do about this except try to gain employment for players in the Elizabeth area. Unfortunateely we don't have the money to employ 15 receptionists at the club ;)

Maybe Kris Grant’s house needs another 15 Pergolas ;)
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:14 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Recruiting has never been easy for us, particularly since reductions in the salary cap. Being located a bit further out from the CBD than most clubs unfortunately does seem to have an impact on players' decisions. Sadly there is nothing we can do about this except try to gain employment for players in the Elizabeth area. Unfortunately we don't have the money to employ 15 receptionists at the club ;)

Glenelg won the flag with the same cap restrictions
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

True, and well done on that premiership. It is just that I have three friends playing SANFL who have told me they would be at Central except for the fact they don't want to commute 45 minutes each way for training after a full day of work when they can play for a club just around the corner from their work. The financial benefits they receive are not worth their commute. I imagine that South Adelaide also face a similar problem in recruiting.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby southee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 am

bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

True, and well done on that premiership. It is just that I have three friends playing SANFL who have told me they would be at Central except for the fact they don't want to commute 45 minutes each way for training after a full day of work when they can play for a club just around the corner from their work. The financial benefits they receive are not worth their commute. I imagine that South Adelaide also face a similar problem in recruiting.

Correct. Lost a few potential recruits with the “too far” excuse.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:19 am

Never heard of the guy but had never heard of Mark Stone before either and look how that turned out!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am

Wedgie wrote:Never heard of the guy but had never heard of Mark Stone before either and look how that turned out!

Don't worry on the CDFC socials apparently its the end of the world because they have never heard of him. :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm

"Full time", Laird wasn't, obviously?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:32 pm

No. Part Time.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby beef » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Probably same wage though, this bloke coming cheap
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm

beef wrote:Probably same wage though, this bloke coming cheap

That's good clearly he's hungry to make his way up the ladder.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby LMA » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Gozu wrote:
beef wrote:Probably same wage though, this bloke coming cheap

That's good clearly he's hungry to make his way up the ladder.

He'll be on the pension soon
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Board index   Football  SANFL