SANFL 2020 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:47 pm

stampy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Glenelg home match ticket holder from Mount Gambier rocks up at 11.30am, oh sorry, you're the 1001st person you have to go home.
Hate this haphazard approach to it.
For the record I'm a season ticket holder x 2 but will give them to someone else this week, don't like Glenelg at the best of times let alone if I had to get there early.

cmon wedgie you used to love the snouts!

Not even a football ground now, haven't lowered myself to that place since the grandstand roof blew away. Would only marginally surpass Unley now as a desired destination at least at Unley I didn't have to cross the road and get a carton to sell to the crowd on the hill.
Mind you, would you be able to get there at 11am, get a passout and go to the Holdy for 3 hours before coming back? Could be a fun but very ugly day! :lol:
Nah stuff it, am giving Ian and some other lucky person my season tix.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby DOC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:05 pm

What a firkin joke.

First come first served? Why not ticket it like the first 2 rounds.

This takes the cake for stupidity. It's 60kms oval to oval and you could be refused entry. The 1145 start really just adds to it.

They are just as likely now to get less than 1000 as people won't take the risk.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Wonder if they’ll allow pass outs?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:27 pm

Surely they will......

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby mal » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 pm

I have been forwarded this about the SA V GL match

SA got a free in the goal square [ correct decision , in the back against Virgin on Overall]
SA player not sure who, could even be Overall, soccered it and missed

If the SA/GL game ended in a draw
Would this be the only time in a SANFL round where 2 games were draws ?

Maybe Spell_Check, RIG or Ambays might know ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby DOC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:50 pm

The player was Eamon Wilkinson AKA Jason Akermanis.

Not sure about the draws but we did play 2 in a row last year.
DOC
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 pm

mal wrote:I have been forwarded this about the SA V GL match

SA got a free in the goal square [ correct decision , in the back against Virgin on Overall]

Or the same two sides drew, two years in a row!

Spargo
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:54 pm

MAL.

This from yesterdays paper.

A CONTROVERSIAL umpiring decision in the final minute cost South Adelaide a miraculous draw against premier Glenelg at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

After producing a scintillating and brave comeback from 45 points behind at three-quarter-time to draw within six points, Panthers small forward Eamon Wilkinson was awarded a free kick for a push in the back by Tiger Michael Virgin in a marking contest on the edge of the goalsquare.

But unaware the free kick had been paid, Wilkinson then toe-poked the ball across the goal-line for a behind.

Rather than hand the ball back to Wilkinson, who would almost certainly have kicked the goal to tie the scores and complete South’s remarkable comeback, the field umpire called advantage play on, the behind stood and the stunned Tigers held on to win by five points, 15.7 (97) to 14.8 (92).

It was Glenelg’s second consecutive win by less than a goal to start the season after it beat Norwood by three points in Round 1.

Panthers coach Jarrad Wright blasted the decision to rob Wilkinson of a possible game-tying shot at goal, saying “he should have been given the free kick and a set shot’’.

“There was no advantage in that decision at all,’’ Wright said. “There was crowd noise, it was in the heat of the play and the ball goes through for a behind, there was no advantage play on whatsoever.

“It was a scrimmage, it wasn’t like someone grabbed the ball, played on and took two bounces before having a shot at goal. It should have been called back and been a set shot at goal, so it was disappointing for the game to end that way.’’

Wright said Wilkinson had told him he didn’t know he had been awarded the free when he soccered the ball through. The controversial end came after Glenelg – inspired by last year’s Magarey Medallist Luke Partington dominating with 34 disposals and three goals – powered to a 45-point lead at the final change.

With Jack Oatey Medallist Matthew Snook (29 disposals) and fellow midfielder Marlon Motlop (25 and two goals) also starring, the Tigers looked to be making a statement they were the team to beat again this year. But the gritty Panthers came storming back. They kicked seven goals to one in the final stanza to draw to within six points 26 minutes into the term before the gamedeciding Wilkinson decision.

Glenelg captain Max Proud, playing his 100th game, said his team was relieved to get the points but the late collapse had left the players feeling “very empty’’.

“We played really well for three quarters and probably should have put the foot on the throat but we went away from doing the things we are good at and nearly paid a big price,’’ he said. “It certainly gives us plenty to work on.’’
DOC
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:04 pm

DOC wrote:What a firkin joke.

First come first served? Why not ticket it like the first 2 rounds.

This takes the cake for stupidity. It's 60kms oval to oval and you could be refused entry. The 1145 start really just adds to it.

They are just as likely now to get less than 1000 as people won't take the risk.

Realistically, with game live on Channel 7, an early start and rain forecast I reckon if it were open slather you’d still be lucky to get 1000 Doc. My tip is you will waltz in at 11:44 with ease...time will tell I guess..
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby DOC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:08 pm

I will be coming from Eden Valley so its on my way.

I just think that the digital ticket option was an easy way to do it, not withstanding needing to get perhaps a few readers in place.
DOC
Coach

Postby smac » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:41 pm

What is a season or home match ticket for under 18s? Given kids are free normally, why would anyone have a ticketed membership for their kids?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:47 pm

smac wrote:What is a season or home match ticket for under 18s? Given kids are free normally, why would anyone have a ticketed membership for their kids?

Family memberships give the kids a bar coded ticket.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:49 pm

DOC wrote:MAL.

A CONTROVERSIAL umpiring decision in the final minute cost South Adelaide a miraculous draw against premier Glenelg at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

After producing a scintillating and brave comeback from 45 points behind at three-quarter-time to draw within six points, Panthers small forward Eamon Wilkinson was awarded a free kick for a push in the back by Tiger Michael Virgin in a marking contest on the edge of the goalsquare.

But unaware the free kick had been paid, Wilkinson then toe-poked the ball across the goal-line for a behind.

Rather than hand the ball back to Wilkinson, who would almost certainly have kicked the goal to tie the scores and complete South’s remarkable comeback, the field umpire called advantage play on, the behind stood and the stunned Tigers held on to win by five points, 15.7 (97) to 14.8 (92).

It was Glenelg’s second consecutive win by less than a goal to start the season after it beat Norwood by three points in Round 1.

Panthers coach Jarrad Wright blasted the decision to rob Wilkinson of a possible game-tying shot at goal, saying “he should have been given the free kick and a set shot’’.

“There was no advantage in that decision at all,’’ Wright said. “There was crowd noise, it was in the heat of the play and the ball goes through for a behind, there was no advantage play on whatsoever.

“It was a scrimmage, it wasn’t like someone grabbed the ball, played on and took two bounces before having a shot at goal. It should have been called back and been a set shot at goal, so it was disappointing for the game to end that way.’’

Wright said Wilkinson had told him he didn’t know he had been awarded the free when he soccered the ball through. The controversial end came after Glenelg – inspired by last year’s Magarey Medallist Luke Partington dominating with 34 disposals and three goals – powered to a 45-point lead at the final change.

With Jack Oatey Medallist Matthew Snook (29 disposals) and fellow midfielder Marlon Motlop (25 and two goals) also starring, the Tigers looked to be making a statement they were the team to beat again this year. But the gritty Panthers came storming back. They kicked seven goals to one in the final stanza to draw to within six points 26 minutes into the term before the gamedeciding Wilkinson decision.

Glenelg captain Max Proud, playing his 100th game, said his team was relieved to get the points but the late collapse had left the players feeling “very empty’’.

“We played really well for three quarters and probably should have put the foot on the throat but we went away from doing the things we are good at and nearly paid a big price,’’ he said. “It certainly gives us plenty to work on.’’

Convenient to focus on the last free kick & not the bewildering decisions/non decisions that helped South get back in the game.

Spargo
Coach

Postby topshelf » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:57 pm

No doubt it was a bad decision but South had an excellent run with the umps apart from that one all day, ironically the same umpires that kept you in it, then started your comeback, screwed you over from winning it.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby topshelf » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:00 pm

With the numbers limited to 1k, it might have made sense to only allow home members be able to attend. Just a thought
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 pm

I don't know about 2 draws in the one day but as always I can digress. South in 1997 had 2 draws in a row one against Glenelg and the other against West, I think.
Another quirk was on 4th June 1977 North and Central drew at Prospect. 11 years to the day later on 4th June 1988, North and Central drew again at Prospect.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby smac » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 pm

Spargo wrote:
smac wrote:What is a season or home match ticket for under 18s? Given kids are free normally, why would anyone have a ticketed membership for their kids?

Family memberships give the kids a bar coded ticket.

But the SANFL are saying home or season ticket, there's no distinction on junior memberships like that. I'm presuming I'll need another ticket on top of mine so my kids can go.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby RB » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:53 pm

Surely at some point between 1877 and c. 1920 there would have been two draws in a round, what with the relatively low scoring.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:12 am

RB wrote:

Surely at some point between 1877 and c. 1920 there would have been two draws in a round, what with the relatively low scoring.

I have scanned the records from 1897 to 1920 and I can find no instance of 2 draws on the same day. Of course, at most there were only 3 games on any one day during that time.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby DOC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 am

Spargo wrote:

Convenient to focus on the last free kick & not the bewildering decisions/non decisions that helped South get back in the game.

WEll it was written by a very biased journo. I think he did it to rub a bit of salt in.
DOC
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL