Round 2 Sturt v Eagles

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 2 Sturt v Eagles

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm

Adelaide Oval, Saturday July 4th, 12.05pm

STURT

Sturt has been significantly strengthened by the addition of three premiership players for its clash with the Eagles at Adelaide Oval.

Midfielder Steven Slimming (ankle), key forward Jake Sutcliffe (illness) and midfield ball magnet Sam Colquhoun (hamstring) have all overcome their minor ailments which kept them out of the Round 1 side.

The Double Blues will also unveil another debutant with mature-age defender Malachi Lines (21, 192cm and 78kg) set to play his first Statewide Super League game after playing last season with Mt Barker FC in the Hills Football League.

Midfielder Tom Lewis has again been added to the extended interchange bench which must be trimmed by two before the bounce.

Athletic Jordan Houlahan couldn’t be considered after injuring his hamstring in the opening minutes of Saturday’s win against Central while veteran defender Tom Harms has hurt his calf at training on Wednesday night.

F: Sumner, Sutcliffe, Davis

HF: Kirkwood, Ash Johnson, J. Hone

C: Evans, McEntee, Crocker

HB: Lines, Edmonds, Colquhoun

B: Page, Wundke, Illman

R: Fahey-Sparks, Battersby, Voss

INT: Carey, Schwarze, Thiele, Slimming, Burrows, Gore, Lewis

IN: Slimming, Colquhoun, Sutcliffe, Lines, Lewis

OUT: Houlahan (hamstring), Harms (calf)

NEW: Malachi Lines (Mt Barker FC)

EAGLES

Woodville-West Torrens will be hoping to welcome back joint vice-captain Jesse Lonergan for its contest against Sturt at Adelaide Oval.

The former Gold Coast Sun was unavailable in Round 1 due to a calf injury but has been named on a seven-man extended interchange bench which must be trimmed by three before the bounce.

The strongly-built midfielder has been joined in the 25-man squad by utility Jackson Lee, ruckman Jordan West and potential AAMI Rookie Tristian Carcuro, the 27-year-old recruited from Sacred Heart Old Collegians.

Midfielder Louis Sharrad has been omitted to the Reserves.

F: Rowe, N. Hayes, McNeil

HF: Hall, J. Hayes, Foote

C: Comitogianni, Goldsworthy, Toumpas

HB: Giuffreda, Thompson, Seymour

B: Sinor, Von Bertouch, Mansell

R: Redden, Rowland, Poole

INT: Carcuro, Wehr, Jones, West, Lee, Moore, Lonergan

IN: Carcuro, West, Lee, Lonergan

OUT: Sharrad

NEW: Tristian Carcuro (Sacred Heart Old Collegians)
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: Round 2 Sturt v Eagles

Postby DOC » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:10 am

Saw both these sides last week.

The Eagles were unable to score all but a behind for 2 quarters but when they did fire looked good. To me they still have good depth and plenty of tall marking options. Lonergan back is a big inclusion. Sharrad being dropped will surprise many. He had 9 tackles. 4 clearances, 12 disposals and ran hard.

Sturt started last week with a bang. Johnson and Davis gave them 2 big targets, and they pressed up the ground well. Have some handy inclusions.

I originally thought the Eagles in this one but lean towards Sturt now by 3 goals.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby wedgetail » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 pm

DOC wrote:Saw both these sides last week.

The Eagles were unable to score all but a behind for 2 quarters but when they did fire looked good. To me they still have good depth and plenty of tall marking options. Lonergan back is a big inclusion. Sharrad being dropped will surprise many. He had 9 tackles. 4 clearances, 12 disposals and ran hard.

Sturt started last week with a bang. Johnson and Davis gave them 2 big targets, and they pressed up the ground well. Have some handy inclusions.

I originally thought the Eagles in this one but lean towards Sturt now by 3 goals.

Interesting comments on Sharrad Doc. We feel he has 'tailed off' since mid last year and with his lack of pace, I feel young blood McNeil will get more midfield time to develop. Agree with your assessment of Sturt winning by 3 goals
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:54 pm

On paper Sturt will win easily on the basis of far more recognised names, many of whom are established league players. Eagles have so many new young players its just too early to tell how many of them are quality and how many of them are duds.

Thought most of the young eagles players showed something last week so will be keen to watch them develop. Lonergan is a bit inclusion if fit. On paper our forward line is far too short so hopefully it rains throughout the match to advantage a shorter forward line.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Sturt $1.61
Eagles $2.27
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:14 pm

Eagles very impressive from what I’ve seen, have made Sturt look second rate
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Great win by the Eagles
New coach better game style players looked like they wanted to play
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby DOC » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:11 pm

DOC wrote:Saw both these sides last week.

You get what you deserve when you change your tip.

Eagles way too good in the second half.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby wedgetail » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Happy to be proven wrong on my tip after that result. Eags looked awful in the last 15 mins of second term and it was Sturt by how far at half time. Second half, Sturt were insipid and the Eagles were full of character. A very even team effort with Commit playing his best game for the club, Lonergan a valuable inclusion, Redden controlled the rucks esp in second half, Were, Mansel, O'Neil (all young players) were prominent and Poole, Foote and N Hayes were big contributors.
A lot to like about a more attacking game style, let's hope it's not a one off!
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:53 pm

wedgetail wrote:Happy to be proven wrong on my tip after that result. Eags looked awful in the last 15 mins of second term and it was Sturt by how far at half time. Second half, Sturt were insipid and the Eagles were full of character. A very even team effort with Commit playing his best game for the club, Lonergan a valuable inclusion, Redden controlled the rucks esp in second half, Were, Mansel, O'Neil (all young players) were prominent and Poole, Foote and N Hayes were big contributors.

I reckon Commits effort going back with the flight late in that 2nd term, along with the class of Goldsworthy with 2 goals, kept the Eagles in it in that 2nd term in terms of belief.

Redden was killing them on the ball - it was just a matter of time before the Eagles worked out a way to make use of his dominance, which they did after half time. Lonergan’s big body was a very handy addition on ball and Toumpas and Foote were far more intense and effective this week.

These new players (and coach) are a breath of fresh air. All have pace and penetrating kicks. I thought Wehr and Mansell were excellent. Giuffreda was fantastic. Carcuro was impressive on the lead and may be the answer to that different dynamic in the forward line. Rowe as clever as always.

Really promising signs for the Eagles. They have the right mix of players in this group. Depth may be an issue down the track, but other than that, developing that winning mentality and consistent level of commitment with this new group can hopefully be fast-tracked by Sheedy and we can hit the suburban ovals running.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:47 pm

Aerie wrote:
wedgetail wrote:Happy to be proven wrong on my tip after that result. Eags looked awful in the last 15 mins of second term and it was Sturt by how far at half time. Second half, Sturt were insipid and the Eagles were full of character. A very even team effort with Commit playing his best game for the club, Lonergan a valuable inclusion, Redden controlled the rucks esp in second half, Were, Mansel, O'Neil (all young players) were prominent and Poole, Foote and N Hayes were big contributors.

I reckon Commits effort going back with the flight late in that 2nd term, along with the class of Goldsworthy with 2 goals, kept the Eagles in it in that 2nd term in terms of belief.

Redden was killing them on the ball - it was just a matter of time before the Eagles worked out a way to make use of his dominance, which they did after half time. Lonergan’s big body was a very handy addition on ball and Toumpas and Foote were far more intense and effective this week.

These new players (and coach) are a breath of fresh air. All have pace and penetrating kicks. I thought Wehr and Mansell were excellent. Giuffreda was fantastic. Carcuro was impressive on the lead and may be the answer to that different dynamic in the forward line. Rowe as clever as always.

Really promising signs for the Eagles. They have the right mix of players in this group. Depth may be an issue down the track, but other than that, developing that winning mentality and consistent level of commitment with this new group can hopefully be fast-tracked by Sheedy and we can hit the suburban ovals running.

Agree with both of your posts
The eagles have lacked pace and how to attack or attacking football
They don’t now
But they still could get better
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Yes - all comments about the sudden injection pace from these young players is spot on. Adds a new dynamic that we have not had in the team in ten years. We also seem to be moving the ball forward at a much faster pace than in previous seasons. It still feels we are a little too reliant on Rowe to kick 3-4 goals each week which is not sustainable so the only thing we are currently lacking is a key forward. I would like to see Von Bertouch permanently stationed up there all season because i think he has all the makings of a useful key forward.

What i like about our defence now is that we have stocked it with blokes who can deliver the ball well. Seymour, Weir and Mansell are beautiful field kicks and from here we can set up play further up the field.

Not sure how many players are knocking the door down in the reserves so agreed depth could be an issue. Anyone know how Pudney is going? I held hopes that he'd be a key midfielder for us this year after crossing from the Power but his first two games have been in the reserves.

Has Petrenko officially retired?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby ferret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:14 am

Mr Fuller wrote:Yes - all comments about the sudden injection pace from these young players is spot on. Adds a new dynamic that we have not had in the team in ten years. We also seem to be moving the ball forward at a much faster pace than in previous seasons. It still feels we are a little too reliant on Rowe to kick 3-4 goals each week which is not sustainable so the only thing we are currently lacking is a key forward. I would like to see Von Bertouch permanently stationed up there all season because i think he has all the makings of a useful key forward.

What i like about our defence now is that we have stocked it with blokes who can deliver the ball well. Seymour, Weir and Mansell are beautiful field kicks and from here we can set up play further up the field.

Not sure how many players are knocking the door down in the reserves so agreed depth could be an issue. Anyone know how Pudney is going? I held hopes that he'd be a key midfielder for us this year after crossing from the Power but his first two games have been in the reserves.

Was very disappointed with Pudney's reserve game last week. I watched the whole game and he just contributed nothing. I always thought he would be a contender to play on a wing in the league team, but would not now come in to my calculations to get a league game. Comitogianni at this stage has gone way past him.

According to some of the players Petrenko will rest this season getting ready for a career finale in 2021.

Better players in the reserves last week were, Harry Morgan (5 goals), Jackson Lee, Connor McLeod, Matthew Mead and Ben Jungfer.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:33 pm

ferret wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:Yes - all comments about the sudden injection pace from these young players is spot on. Adds a new dynamic that we have not had in the team in ten years. We also seem to be moving the ball forward at a much faster pace than in previous seasons. It still feels we are a little too reliant on Rowe to kick 3-4 goals each week which is not sustainable so the only thing we are currently lacking is a key forward. I would like to see Von Bertouch permanently stationed up there all season because i think he has all the makings of a useful key forward.

Was very disappointed with Pudney's reserve game last week. I watched the whole game and he just contributed nothing. I always thought he would be a contender to play on a wing in the league team, but would not now come in to my calculations to get a league game. Comitogianni at this stage has gone way past him.

According to some of the players Petrenko will rest this season getting ready for a career finale in 2021.

Better players in the reserves last week were, Harry Morgan (5 goals), Jackson Lee, Connor McLeod, Matthew Mead and Ben Jungfer.

I just remembered that last year the Eagles had recruited Liam Buxton from Victoria and he was probably viewed as our #1 target. No doubt Sheedy had him earmarked as that big key forward we currently lack. Its a huge shame that he decided to return back to Victoria early this year. Not sure whether this was due to COVID or whether he just didn't enjoy living here in SA. Holding out hopes that he will come back for season 2021. Von Bertouch could easily become our most important player this season given we also lack a bit of height in our defence.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby Grenville » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:43 pm

The Eagles are going to be knackered after this weekend. According to Peter Walsh (on at least 3 occasions I heard) on the digital pass they are playing Westies this arvo. Does he volunteer or get paid for that quality calling?
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby ferret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:42 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
ferret wrote:

I just remembered that last year the Eagles had recruited Liam Buxton from Victoria and he was probably viewed as our #1 target. No doubt Sheedy had him earmarked as that big key forward we currently lack. Its a huge shame that he decided to return back to Victoria early this year. Not sure whether this was due to COVID or whether he just didn't enjoy living here in SA. Holding out hopes that he will come back for season 2021. Von Bertouch could easily become our most important player this season given we also lack a bit of height in our defence.

With no pay for playing, Buxton had a good job offer back in Vic. so it was a no brainer. I would think Sheedy is carefully assessing what he needs for next year, just love the way he is going about his job. Listening to him talk yesterday he said the team needed refreshing and he has gone about this extremely well. Resurecting careers like Wehr (his fourth year of senior football) and Comitogianni, bringing in juniors and some mature players from lesser competitions. His moving of established players to new positions have given them refreshed enthusiasm along with a more exciting game plan. Still a lot of work to be done but it looks promising.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby whybother » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:46 pm

Re Petrenko, I heard from a club official that he's having a baby. That would make him overweight, I guess.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Board index   Football  SANFL