Round 5 Glenelg v Eagles 1405 Saturday

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 5 Glenelg v Eagles 1405 Saturday

Postby DOC » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:53 am

If the cap comes off will the flag unfurl?

Big danger game for Glenelg. Glenelgs better players were mostly defenders against West and they will be looking to get more drive from the middle and more forward pressure. All 4 of their games this season have been close.

Eagles continue to impress and a win here would consolidate their top position. Rowe leads the goal kicking and Foote has continued on with last seasons great form. Sheedy has them firing and if the cap is lifted this game deserves a good crowd.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Re: Round 5 Glenelg v Eagles 1405 Saturday

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:12 am

Wiggles to pinch the flag,
will win by 3 goals.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Pseudo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am

DOC wrote:If the cap comes off will the flag unfurl?

Big danger game for Glenelg. Glenelgs better players were mostly defenders against West and they will be looking to get more drive from the middle and more forward pressure. All 4 of their games this season have been close.

Eagles continue to impress and a win here would consolidate their top position. Rowe leads the goal kicking and Foote has continued on with last seasons great form. Sheedy has them firing and if the cap is lifted this game deserves a good crowd.

Unsurprising, since the ball spent most of the game in Glenelg's back lines! I don't think Glenelg crossed its own 50m arc once in the third term.

Eagles in surprisingly good form. As recently as a week ago I'd have had this one ticked as an easy win for the Bays. Not so sure now.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby MJP1993 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:41 pm

I believe this is Goldsworthy’s 200 th game
Now the Eagles have improved so far , players look like they wish to be there .
Promoting youth something they’ve not done in years !
Sheedy whatever he’s done is working .
I hope the Eagles keep playing this type of footy
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby DOC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:12 pm

MJP1993 wrote:I believe this is Goldsworthy’s 200 th game

I would have thought that you had played the most juniors of all the clubs over the last few years. Perhaps my perception is wrong.

Your reserves and 18's have been great.
DOC
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:24 pm

DOC wrote:

I would have thought that you had played the most juniors of all the clubs over the last few years. Perhaps my perception is wrong.

We've never really had 3-4 kids playing in the side at the same time.......and doing really well. Most of draftees get plucked directly from the U18s.

Sheedy has been fantastic - identifying he need for pace and quick ball movement. Also he hasn't been afraid to try and reinvent older players and to allocate them new positions. Von Bertouch up forward is an obvious one. Also removing Hall from the wing and putting him up forward and occasionally on the half back line.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Reddeer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Young unheralded Tasmanian is a great acquisition for the club. May well be drafted as he keeps it up
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 pm

Reddeer wrote:Young unheralded Tasmanian is a great acquisition for the club. May well be drafted as he keeps it up

Mansell?

Second best by the Club last week apparently.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 am

How will the Eagles go without Thompson?

Don’t want to pluck Von Bertouch from the forward line as that has been working well.

In 2006 an 18yo Zac Hier played a crucial role as a key defender and was a huge part of the premiership. Do they give added responsibility to Lachlan Jones, who is a similar build to Hier? Is there a good sized defender in the reserves? Or maybe Jackson Lee who seems a decent size and played league last week?

Agree re Mansell, has been a very good pick up. Along with the inclusions of Jones, Wehr, McNeil, Seymour and Carcuro.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby ferret » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:36 am

Aerie wrote:How will the Eagles go without Thompson?

Don’t want to pluck Von Bertouch from the forward line as that has been working well.

In 2006 an 18yo Zac Hier played a crucial role as a key defender and was a huge part of the premiership. Do they give added responsibility to Lachlan Jones, who is a similar build to Hier? Is there a good sized defender in the reserves? Or maybe Jackson Lee who seems a decent size and played league last week?

Agree re Mansell, has been a very good pick up. Along with the inclusions of Jones, Wehr, McNeil, Seymour and Carcuro.

Well said "Aerie". A problem the club has throughout it's three grades is lack of height. We just have to find some. Losing Buxton was an enormous loss.
Similar thinking to you that Jones or Jackson Lee might have to play CHB. At 6"6" McBean will be a huge problem. The Tigers might play an extra tall to exploit our lack of height. Reluctant to upset forward set up and shift Vonny to the back lines.

Rhyan Mansell playing great football. Rarely makes a mistake, a good decision maker, aggressive and very neat kick. In the near future I would look at moving him up the field. Depending on AFL list sizes next season I wouldn't be surprised to see him at least rookie listed.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:33 am

DOC wrote:

Sorry Doc just saw your reply my years of watching the eagles .
Some past coaches have been reluctant to promote a large number of juniors .
It appears this year not Sheedy I’m liking what Sheedy is doing so far .
A bit concerned if no Thompson this week
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby ferret » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:55 pm

DOC wrote:

With due respect "DOC" us loyal Eagle supporters have been crying out for ages for the "Eagles" to be more adventurous in blooding their youngsters.
Joe Sinor was a classic example took two seasons too long to blood him. Jacob Wehr is currently in his fourth year of senior football after coming out of the U18s. To be given a go in his fourth year is way too late. Wehr has always had good skills but a slight body and this may have contributed to his non-selection. Even Jack Hayes was about a season too late in making his debut.
Jade Sheedy very early in his coaching career at the Eagles quickly identified youngsters and other promising players that had not been given a go and encouraged them to go for it and he has given them an opportunity to do it.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:40 pm

ferret wrote:
Aerie wrote:How will the Eagles go without Thompson?

Well said "Aerie". A problem the club has throughout it's three grades is lack of height. We just have to find some. Losing Buxton was an enormous loss.
Similar thinking to you that Jones or Jackson Lee might have to play CHB. At 6"6" McBean will be a huge problem. The Tigers might play an extra tall to exploit our lack of height. Reluctant to upset forward set up and shift Vonny to the back lines.

Rhyan Mansell playing great football. Rarely makes a mistake, a good decision maker, aggressive and very neat kick. In the near future I would look at moving him up the field. Depending on AFL list sizes next season I wouldn't be surprised to see him at least rookie listed.

Agreed I would be reluctant to move Von Bertouch back to defense - IMO he has the makings of a very good key forward and probably should have be stationed there a few years ago. But such was his importance to our defence and we don't have anyone else his size.

But I think he will have to go back this week onto McBean. Lee far too small for the job and McBean is the type of player who could easily kick 5-6 goals if he isn't matched up well. If VB is forced down back I'd promote West this week and let him help out Redden in the Ruck. Then I'd play Hayes permanently up forward for the entire match.

I'd be interested in what other eagles supporters think of Lee - he's been around the club for a few years and has the build and athleticism to be a very good player. He generally makes our best each week in the Reserves. But the few chances he has got in the League - including last weekend against North - he just looks lost and makes some critical errors. He's definitely struggles to adjust. Is he someone to persevere with or should some other kid get get the focus instead of him going forward? What position would he play?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby RB » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:43 pm

DOC wrote:

During the Fuller era, Ronnie was practically raiding local boys' homes on a weekly basis looking for players. Just about every 17, 18, 19 year old in the zone was getting a league game or two.

The Godden era, or at least the early years, were the exact opposite. There were players who showed more than enough in the U/18s or Reserves and wouldn't get picked. Very conservative when it came to blooding youngsters that bloke. Still, the ones he did play have tended to have reasonable careers.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Great effort by Goldsworthy to play 200 games. He looks to be playing better than ever on the wing. Still only 29, hopefully plenty more games to go.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby goddy11 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 pm

RB wrote:
DOC wrote:

During the Fuller era, Ronnie was practically raiding local boys' homes on a weekly basis looking for players. Just about every 17, 18, 19 year old in the zone was getting a league game or two.

The Godden era, or at least the early years, were the exact opposite. There were players who showed more than enough in the U/18s or Reserves and wouldn't get picked. Very conservative when it came to blooding youngsters that bloke. Still, the ones he did play have tended to have reasonable careers.

With you. We have ignored our youth in recent years to an extent. I think SA and NA have a few former Eagles in their side that are performing well.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Eagle Matthew Goldsworthy is perfect proof it takes a driven, yet selfless, character to chalk up 200 games in the SANFL Statewide Super League.

From Curramulka on the Yorke Peninsula, the 29-year-old made an early call to pursue his football career after making the move to Adelaide.

Since starting with the Eagles Under-17s in 2007 and making his League debut in Round 18 of 2008, Goldsworthy has become one of the club’s most consistent and reliable performers for more than a decade.

Asked on SANFL Radio about his major milestone – against Glenelg at ACH Group Stadium this Saturday – the left-footer said one thing stood above all else.

The fact he had spent portions of his career in all three sectors of the field – forward, midfield and defence – had allowed him to develop strong relationships with a multitude of teammates.

Now relishing a role further up the field on the wing under new coach Jade Sheedy, Goldsworthy said this gave him an even stronger love for the club, knowing he had formed life-long bonds at Oval Avenue.

Naturally, playing in the club’s nail-biting three-point Grand Final triumph against Central in 2011 had also played a significant role but now he wants more success before he hangs up his boots.

And that success could continue beyond retirement given Goldsworthy is also the club’s Football Operations Manager, having also acted as the Eagles’ Sponsorship and Marketing Manager.

It’s fair to say Goldy loves immersing himself in everything ”gold and green and blue.”
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Another Milestone game for a very good umpire. It is a good thing for the league to have umpires of this experience and standard.

Age shall not weary Corey Bowen as the long-serving SANFL Field Umpire approaches his 300th Statewide Super League game on Saturday.

Making his League debut in Round 22 of 2004, the 37-year-old hopes to continue for ”another year or two” as he prepares to officiate the Round 5 clash between Glenelg and Woodville-West Torrens at ACH Group Stadium.

Speaking on SANFL Radio, the 2018 Golden Whistle recipient didn’t expect to rack up so many League appearances after starting his journey with SANFL in 2001.

As is the SANFL tradition under Umpiring Director Shane Harris, Bowen was afforded the chance to choose which game he officiated and who will be his fellow Field Umpires for his milestone match.

Michael Schramm and Sam Morgan will accompany Bowen, who also officiated in 13 AFL matches in 2010 and 2011.

Selected to officiate in four SANFL Grand Finals – 2008, 2009, 2017 and 2018 – Bowen nominated the heart-stopping 2017 title-decider between Sturt and Port as his most memorable as the Double Blues got over the line by a point.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Glenelg has regained two premiership players for its contest against the Eagles at ACH Group Stadium.

Smooth-moving forward Marlon Motlop has been listed on the extended interchange bench after missing the past two matches with a calf complaint.

Defender Jonty Scharenberg has been named to start in the centre square after being recalled from the Reserves.

Utility Todd Slade and possible debutants Angus Weir (20, 177cm and 74kg) and Dylan Morton (21, 183cm and 80kg) have also been included on the seven-man interchange bench.

Finn Betterman and Brad McCarthy have been omitted.

F: McBean, Stretch, Reynolds

HF: Kluske, Bailey, Snook

C: Partington, Allen, Bradley

HB: Nicholson, Parks, J. Edwards

B: Virgin, Proud, Merrett

R: Hannath, Agnew, Scharenberg

INT: Curran, Motlop, Slade, Weir, Park, Kuller, Morton

IN: Scharenberg, Motlop, Slade, Morton, Weir

OUT: Betterman, McCarthy

Reserves
Symonds, Condon, McRae, Yates, Leck, Kerrish, Wisdom, Moore, Horsnell, Kitschke, Liambis, Cole, Searle, Thompson, McCarthy, Martin, Betterman, McPherson, L. Edwards, Martini, McDermott

Under-18
Window, Wanganeen, R. Davis, Wright, Dean, Murphy, Treagus, Kaesler, B. Edwards, Fitzgerald, VanSchaik, Potter, J. Davis, Durant, Nicotra, C. Drum, Owen, Stoddard, Virtanen, Watts, R. Drum, Dowdell, Schreiber, Salisbury, Sigal

EAGLES

Woodville-West Torrens will be without its captain for the encounter with Glenelg at ACH Group Stadium.

Key defender Luke Thompson was unable to shrug off a corked thigh he had been carrying for a fortnight after being restricted in the Eagles’ Round 4 win against North.

Tom Schmusch and Jake Westbrook are among the potential replacements for Thompson after both were added to the seven-man extended interchange bench.

Strongly-built midfielder Jack Firns and delisted Power rookie Kai Pudney have also been included for potentially their first League games of the season.

Premiership utility Matt Goldsworthy will play his 200th Statewide Super League game after making his debut in Round 18 of 2008.

F: Rowe, Von Bertouch, N. Hayes

HF: Hall, J. Hayes, Foote

C: Comitogianni, Toumpas, Goldsworthy

HB: Rowland, Giuffreda, Wehr

B: Sinor, Seymour, Mansell

R: Redden, Lee, Poole

INT: Carcuro, Firns, Jones, McNeil, Schmusch, Pudney, Westbrook

IN: Firns, Pudney, Schmusch, Westbrook

OUT: Thompson (corked thigh)

MILESTONE – Matthew Goldsworthy 200 games

NEW: Kai Pudney (Port Adelaide)

Reserves
West, Moore, Pearce, Williams, Morgan, Jackson, Hoile, McPherson, Gray, Mead, Beecken, McLeod, Bruce, Jungfer, Weidemann, Michael, Asfaha, McNeilly, Barnett, Brill, Langcake

Under-18
F: Scott, J. Hunter-Price, Neumann
HF: Dawkins, Smith, Kasianowicz
C: Calvett, Poulter, Watson
HB: Burgoyne, Ueding, Murphy
B: Thomson, A. Hunter-Price, Launer

R: Phillips, Lister, Schofield
INT: Branford, Godden, Nicholls, O’Neil, Thach, Wheare, Williams
DOC
Coach