Round 13 Glenelg v Centrals Saturday 1610.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 13 Glenelg v Centrals Saturday 1610.

Postby Magellan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Doddy wrote:One umpire in those days?

Yeah, I think the two umpire system came in in 1977 - can RiG or mal or other boffins around at the time confirm?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:30 pm

1977 pretty sure is correct. I reckon Des Foster did the famous Sturt/Port GF in 76 on his own.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:19 pm

DOC wrote:1977 pretty sure is correct. I reckon Des Foster did the famous Sturt/Port GF in 76 on his own.

Yeah 77

Pretty sure Robin Bennet and Peter Mead did the 77 GF.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:52 pm

am Bays wrote:
DOC wrote:1977 pretty sure is correct. I reckon Des Foster did the famous Sturt/Port GF in 76 on his own.

Yeah 77

Pretty sure Robin Bennet and Peter Mead did the 77 GF.

Correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_SANFL_Grand_Final

No umpire listed in 1976 gf wikipedia entry
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 147 times

Postby StrayDog » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Glenelg by a few goals I think. That said, if it's close at Lemons, I'll be pretty confident of the 'Dogs getting the points.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Who the hell was that idiot Central forward that cost his team victory by taking a mark in time on 20 metres out and played on and kicked a point?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby StrayDog » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:50 pm

StrayDog wrote:Glenelg by a few goals I think. That said, if it's close at Lemons, I'll be pretty confident of the 'Dogs getting the points.

Not quite, on either front. A couple of goals in it at the final change, gap out to three before getting their noses in front for about 90 seconds in time on. As mentioned, had chance(s) to get the lead back at the death, but not to be.

Gl 11-11-77
CD 10-16-76
Last edited by StrayDog on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogs64 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Wedgie wrote:Who the hell was that idiot Central forward that cost his team victory by taking a mark in time on 20 metres out and played on and kicked a point?

Definitely wasnt the right decision, but did kick 3. I thought Toner running through centre half forward, free and kicking straight to a Glenelg player by himself was costly as was Boyds late snap miss. We lost so counts for nothing, but we were as good if not better than them. Not chipping around helps.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Who the hell was that idiot Central forward that cost his team victory by taking a mark in time on 20 metres out and played on and kicked a point?

Definitely wasnt the right decision, but did kick 3. I thought Toner running through centre half forward, free and kicking straight to a Glenelg player by himself was costly as was Boyds late snap miss. We lost so counts for nothing, but we were as good if not better than them. Not chipping around helps.

Ahhhh, Butcher was it? This arse clown seriously isnt up to SANFL standard, Glenelg should be throwing a few cartons his way at least. That was worse than a C Grade SFL level decision. Good luck to him if he ventures north of Gepps Cross ever again, would be lucky to survive!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Brett » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Centrals seem to really be improving. Not a great list and a few getting on but have some good young players coming through.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Kahuna » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:03 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Ahhhh, Butcher was it? This arse clown seriously isnt up to SANFL standard, Glenelg should be throwing a few cartons his way at least. That was worse than a C Grade SFL level decision. Good luck to him if he ventures north of Gepps Cross ever again, would be lucky to survive!

Are you drunk?
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Kahuna wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Are you drunk?

Did you see that kick?

He was 20 metres out on only a slight angle!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:17 pm

He missed from closer in Rd 18 2014, Ty Allen’s last game, basically same angle but 3 m out....

Bays have a special appreciation for John Butcher

We weren’t very good tonight. Butcher and Boyd our best players
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Centrals are on the right track (must be the upgraded Gawler line) They remind of North 2017. You can see what Andrews is trying to do game style and boys are buying in. Carr had North doing the same in 2017. We basicallly won our games against them with better player.

Now if Centrals can get 19 on the field in the 2021 Prelim...
am Bays
Coach

Postby Kahuna » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:32 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Kahuna wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Are you drunk?

Did you see that kick?

Yes I did see that kick. This bloke who you refer to as an "arse clown" has played at the highest level. I also suspect he can recognise his limitations, one of which is set shots from relatively close range. He made a decision, he gambled, and on this occasion he lost.
I am sorry he missed. I am sorry we lost. But I won't blame one player or one mistake.
Show the bloke a bit of respect even if he doesn't match you SFL C Grade immaculate decision making.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Postby Dogs64 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

He's fifth highest goal kicker in the league, with the 3rd best average at 2.1, having played 3 less games than those ahead of him. Probably involved in more "assists" than most other forwards and has also had to ruck in most games. Also in a team thats won 2 games and largely has struggled to kick the ball inside 50. Glad they got him back.
Last edited by Dogs64 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby spell_check » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Kahuna wrote:Yes I did see that kick. This bloke who you refer to as an "arse clown" has played at the highest level. I also suspect he can recognise his limitations, one of which is set shots from relatively close range. He made a decision, he gambled, and on this occasion he lost.
I am sorry he missed. I am sorry we lost. But I won't blame one player or one mistake.
Show the bloke a bit of respect even if he doesn't match you SFL C Grade immaculate decision making.

The problem I think is that Glenelg won, or it keeps a North/Glenelg GF alive, which would be wasted on a 25k crowd, rather than 40k plus.

On Butcher, he competes well, and takes a solid contested mark; top shelf for SANFL...but fmd, that goal kicking should have been sorted out at the Power i.e. eons ago. What did they waste their time on training at PAFC HQ then?
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby StrayDog » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Kahuna wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Ahhhh, Butcher was it? This arse clown seriously isnt up to SANFL standard, Glenelg should be throwing a few cartons his way at least. That was worse than a C Grade SFL level decision. Good luck to him if he ventures north of Gepps Cross ever again, would be lucky to survive!

Are you drunk?

Did you see that kick?

Hit the like button on your last post by accident.

Personally, I thought Kahuna was mostly referring to your last sentence. Let's face it, was hardly the most 'sober' thought that's ever been posted on here. P'ed me off a bit if I'm totally honest.

An embarrassing glitch in time when it was very close, no doubt, but I don't think we good folk "north of Gepps Cross" will be breaking open the armour piercing bullets and lining the streets in full cammo just yet. ;)

Like others on here, I'm glad he's back. In the end, the SIDE wasn't good enough. End of.
Last edited by StrayDog on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 pm

spell_check wrote:
Kahuna wrote:Yes I did see that kick. This bloke who you refer to as an "arse clown" has played at the highest level. I also suspect he can recognise his limitations, one of which is set shots from relatively close range. He made a decision, he gambled, and on this occasion he lost.

The problem I think is that Glenelg won, or it keeps a North/Glenelg GF alive, which would be wasted on a 25k crowd, rather than 40k plus.

On Butcher, he competes well, and takes a solid contested mark; top shelf for SANFL...but fmd, that goal kicking should have been sorted out at the Power i.e. eons ago. What did they waste their time on training at PAFC HQ then?

Actually was stoked Norwood got kicked out of the finals.
Would love a North v Glenelg GF, would be probably the only equation that would result in a 25k crowd.
Can't see it happening though, not even the Eagles can choke now, I have the utmost respect for what Sheedy is doing down at Oval Ave, would be a huge upset if anyone got close to the Eagles. Being a local lad I take a keen interest in the Eagles and get constant updates on how Sheedy is going.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Kahuna » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Wedgie wrote:
spell_check wrote:

Actually was stoked Norwood got kicked out of the finals.
Would love a North v Glenelg GF, would be probably the only equation that would result in a 25k crowd.
Can't see it happening though, not even the Eagles can choke now, I have the utmost respect for what Sheedy is doing down at Oval Ave, would be a huge upset if anyone got close to the Eagles. Being a local lad I take a keen interest in the Eagles and get constant updates on how Sheedy is going.

Question was "Are you Drunk?"
Edit: Supplementary question "or just a disrespectful arse clown?"
Kahuna
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL