2021 Player movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 Player movements

Postby Brodlach » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm

That sounds way too sensible
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Hazydog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Brodlach wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Why leave during the season?

Jobkeeper finished , AdFL starts this week

Am I the only one thinking that job keeper has been potentially used outside of the spirit it was intended for here? Unless footy income was the only source of income for these players of course? And I include players from other clubs (mine) who have coincidentally may have had a retirement or two recently as well...
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Groucho » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:47 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Groucho wrote:How are they allowed to sign contracted and current players from other clubs?

I suppose a loophole with non required players. A couple of Eagles players from last season are at PA. Weideman play a senior game if I recall correctly. No one can complain if they are not required.[/quote]

I wasn't complainig just asking a question.I thought this was finished. Please don't start again.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:19 am

Mr Fuller wrote:Christ Hall, Louis Sharrad, Tom Gray Depart Eagles

The Woodville West Torrens Football Club wishes to advise all its members, sponsors and supporters that long standing servant Chris Hall’s time at the Club has come to an end.

A Flinders Park junior, Chris started his journey at the Eagles way back in 2006 in the Under 17’s team quickly progressing to League football debuting in Round 6 2008 against Sturt at Thebarton Oval as a 17-year-old. After a strong 2008 campaign Chris was drafted to Fremantle with pick 77.

After a two-year stint at Fremantle Chris returned to Oval avenue playing in the 2011 Premiership in his first season back at the Club. Over the next decade Chris developed into one of the premier wingmen in the competition tallying 183 matches and 129 goals in that time.

On his decision to depart Chris said, “I’ll be forever grateful for the opportunities the Eagles football club has provided me with. I’ve been lucky enough to play with some champion footballers over the last decade but what I will hold dearest to my heart are the friendships I’ve been able to make with the players, coach’s, support staff and fans. I’m going to miss walking into the club every night more than anything and would like to thank the entire Eagles family for the last 13 years of my life.”

CEO Luke Powell said, “We congratulate Chris on an outstanding career with the Eagles. To see a Chris rise from an Eagles junior, to be drafted by Fremantle and to come back and have such a significant career at League level culminating in 183 games and becoming a premiership player has been wonderful to witness.

Chris’s football exploits has always seen him as a club and fan favourite, but I think more importantly his biggest impression and mark that he will leave that he has been an exceptional teammate both on and off the field. Chris and the Hall family have had a wonderful association with the Eagles Football Club and we believe that will continue to be the case for the future.

We thank Chris for his wonderful contribution at the Eagles and wish him all the best with his endeavours in the next chapter.”

The Club also wishes to advise that Louis Sharrad and Tom Gray will also not be continuing at the Club in 2021. Both Louis & Tom were recruited to the Club from Port Adelaide at the end of 2017. Over the past three seasons Louis played 38 games for the Club whilst Tom played 19 games with a bad run of injuries restricting his time on the field.

On their departure CEO Luke Powell said, “Louis and Tom are both great characters who are much loved by the playing group and have had great contributions to the Club in such a short time. We wish both Louis and Tom all the best for their future endeavours.”

Few more to come from the Eagles...……..2 at least will be at NEFL clubs by the end of the week.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby DOC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:46 am

REIGNING club champion James Boyd has quit Central District.

The 32-year-old midfield ball-magnet, who last year became the first player in SANFL history to win best and fairests at three clubs, has walked out on the Dogs just days after being left out of their Round 1 side against North Adelaide.

Boyd said he had been told by new coach Paul Thomas that he was no longer in the club’s best 22 and had been pigeon-holed as a small forward, rather than a midfielder, where he last season made The Advertiser SANFL Team of the Year for the fourth time.

“Being told I was no longer in the best 22 and that there wouldn't be a midfield role for me this year sort of told me everything I needed to know and didn’t leave me with much of an option but to leave,’’ said Boyd, a premiership player with Central in 2010.

“I’ve spent 16 years in the SANFL as a midfielder and didn’t want to try to reinvent myself as a permanent forward pocket, through the reserves like a young draft hopeful, at this stage of my career.

“I also didn’t want to force a kid, who is trying to find his way, out of the reserves team and back to a local club. I didn’t come back to Central (last season) to do that.’’

The diminutive Boyd, who has played 219 games and kicked 84 goals for South Adelaide, Central (in two stints) and Woodville-West Torrens since debuting for the Panthers in 2007, was named in the Bulldogs’ extended squad for their premiership seasonopener against the Roosters on Good Friday.

But he was told by Thomas on Thursday night that he would be playing reserves.

Central, which finished second-bottom last season, pulled off the shock of round one, upsetting grand finalist North at home.

Boyd, who had the most disposals in the SANFL last year with 430, at an average of 31, believes he has another “year or two’’ of good SANFL football left in him and will “let the dust settle’’ before deciding whether to join another club.

He described his departure from the Bulldogs as “a tough pill to swallow’’.

“It’s been a tough few days and what’s happened hasn’t sat all that well with me, because it’s all come as a bit of a shock,’’ Boyd said.

“I felt I had a reasonable year last year and was looking to build on that while helping some of our young midfielders develop, but what’s happened is out of my control.

“I guess I can’t complain too much because I’ve been lucky enough to have clubs want me over the years.

“I’ve been fortunate to have achieved some things and be part of a premiership side (in 2010), and not everyone gets to do that.

“That’s my proudest moment, and to be able to share that with my family — who have been on a fair rollercoaster with me — was pretty special.’’
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:49 am

Hazydog wrote:
Am I the only one thinking that job keeper has been potentially used outside of the spirit it was intended for here? Unless footy income was the only source of income for these players of course? And I include players from other clubs (mine) who have coincidentally may have had a retirement or two recently as well...

What?? That’s crazy talk! ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 am

DOC wrote:REIGNING club champion James Boyd has quit Central District.

The 32-year-old midfield ball-magnet, who last year became the first player in SANFL history to win best and fairests at three clubs, has walked out on the Dogs just days after being left out of their Round 1 side against North Adelaide.

Boyd said he had been told by new coach Paul Thomas that he was no longer in the club’s best 22 and had been pigeon-holed as a small forward, rather than a midfielder, where he last season made The Advertiser SANFL Team of the Year for the fourth time.

“Being told I was no longer in the best 22 and that there wouldn't be a midfield role for me this year sort of told me everything I needed to know and didn’t leave me with much of an option but to leave,’’ said Boyd, a premiership player with Central in 2010.

“I’ve spent 16 years in the SANFL as a midfielder and didn’t want to try to reinvent myself as a permanent forward pocket, through the reserves like a young draft hopeful, at this stage of my career.

“I also didn’t want to force a kid, who is trying to find his way, out of the reserves team and back to a local club. I didn’t come back to Central (last season) to do that.’’

The diminutive Boyd, who has played 219 games and kicked 84 goals for South Adelaide, Central (in two stints) and Woodville-West Torrens since debuting for the Panthers in 2007, was named in the Bulldogs’ extended squad for their premiership seasonopener against the Roosters on Good Friday.

Central, which finished second-bottom last season, pulled off the shock of round one, upsetting grand finalist North at home.

Boyd, who had the most disposals in the SANFL last year with 430, at an average of 31, believes he has another “year or two’’ of good SANFL football left in him and will “let the dust settle’’ before deciding whether to join another club.

“It’s been a tough few days and what’s happened hasn’t sat all that well with me, because it’s all come as a bit of a shock,’’ Boyd said.

“I felt I had a reasonable year last year and was looking to build on that while helping some of our young midfielders develop, but what’s happened is out of my control.

“I guess I can’t complain too much because I’ve been lucky enough to have clubs want me over the years.

“I’ve been fortunate to have achieved some things and be part of a premiership side (in 2010), and not everyone gets to do that.

“That’s my proudest moment, and to be able to share that with my family — who have been on a fair rollercoaster with me — was pretty special.’’

Glad to hear Thommo is going to do things his way...…As a premiership teammate of Boyd it would have been easy for Thommo to give him 'special' treatment. That obviously wasn't the case.

That article fills me with some hope for the future.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby goddy11 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 am

whufc wrote:
DOC wrote:REIGNING club champion James Boyd has quit Central District.

Glad to hear Thommo is going to do things his way...…As a premiership teammate of Boyd it would have been easy for Thommo to give him 'special' treatment. That obviously wasn't the case.

Round 1 and trial game form suggests Thomas is on the right track. As good as Boyd is , he does not fit into future plans. The same applied to him at the Eagles. Sheedy at the Eagles is on a similar track with Chris Hall. Chris would make most teams but will only be holding a young player back at the Eagles. I wish both players the best
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Mr Fuller » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 am

Yes - there was nothing nefarious about Hall leaving. I doubt jobkeeper had any impact.

He was told he was no longer required because he was no longer in our best 22 and due to his age, was not going to suddenly improve. He would simply be holding back talented young midfielders in the reserves like Williams and Beecken.

That said I feel confident he could still contribute at SANFL level and other clubs would be crazy to not at least enquire if he was still interested in playing SANFL.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby northerner » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:35 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Yes - there was nothing nefarious about Hall leaving. I doubt jobkeeper had any impact.

He was told he was no longer required because he was no longer in our best 22 and due to his age, was not going to suddenly improve. He would simply be holding back talented young midfielders in the reserves like Williams and Beecken.

That said I feel confident he could still contribute at SANFL level and other clubs would be crazy to not at least enquire if he was still interested in playing SANFL.

Eagles have so much talent that there are bound to be guys not getting games at league level who are deserving. No surprise to me to see some pull off their boots once they see how little game time there is for them.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby DOC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:36 pm

Hall playing for the crows. Imagine that. Salary cap space in round 2.
DOC
Coach

Postby CedeNullis » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:15 am

Last time I checked, Thommo was the league coach of CDFC not Boyd.
CedeNullis
Under 16s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 am

DOC wrote:Hall playing for the crows. Imagine that. Salary cap space in round 2.

But it's a level playing field & great for the competition.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby MJP1993 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm

DOC wrote:Hall playing for the crows. Imagine that. Salary cap space in round 2.

Is that an issue for you Doc or South .
Three players who would’ve struggled to get league games have departed oval ave .
Still can’t see why it bothers you Doc or South
Or will south go after the other two players
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm

I was referring to the Crows Mick and with my tongue in cheek given their salary cap.
DOC
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 pm

DOC wrote:I was referring to the Crows Mick and with my tongue in cheek given their salary cap.

Haha at me I’ve made a Micky out of Micky
All good
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:07 pm

Connor Mclean staying with cdfc ??
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 pm

goddy11 wrote:
whufc wrote:
DOC wrote:"REIGNING club champion James Boyd has quit Central District.

Round 1 and trial game form suggests Thomas is on the right track. As good as Boyd is , he does not fit into future plans. The same applied to him at the Eagles. Sheedy at the Eagles is on a similar track with Chris Hall. Chris would make most teams but will only be holding a young player back at the Eagles. I wish both players the best

Looking back at the post match on-field interview with Boyd after that ripper 2010 decider between two closely matched adversaries, it's hard (for me, at least) to believe that he hasn't been part of more premiership sides.

NB: I've given your post a 'like', as I'm sure I'm one of several people on here that appreciated this post for the content you chose not to respond to, but could have, at least as much as much as what you did. I trust the site Admin / Moderation team are among them.

Enough said.
Last edited by StrayDog on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby beef » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:47 pm

UK Fan wrote:Connor Mclean staying with cdfc ??

Named for Kapunda tomorrow
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Big Phil » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:06 pm

beef wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Connor Mclean staying with cdfc ??

Named for Kapunda tomorrow

Heard he was taking "a few weeks off from SANFL" to decide what he wants to do.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL