JEFF ANDREWS GONE!

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: JEFF ANDREWS GONE!

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:53 pm

northerner wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:The club's stand on this issue is simple,
We're a different club at Centrals,
it's a different environment than the other clubs & we need to stick to what's best for us,
don't appoint from outside the club because they wouldn't understand how we operate & our culture,
it didn't work with Cowboy,
it didn't work with Kerley,
it didn't really work with Clarko,
success came from the hard work of people like Alan Stewart, Kris Grant, Bill Cochrane & Roy Laird & all the die-hard volunteers who bleed for the club,,
You couldn't get a better Red, White & Blue pedigree than Paul Thomas,
his old man is a legend of the club, as is Paul too & now we have a female Thommo running around,
Port stuck with this principle for years & look where that got them in the SANFL,
we've copied them before & it worked,
time to get back to basics, back to our roots & start to rebuild the winning culture.
At least we'll now have the 100% support of all the players.

Then why did they appoint an outsider for 3 years? Who is taking accountability for that decision?

This indeed was their biggest error.

As for how it's panned out, they have their man... the guy they who they would have chosen 12 months ago if he was available.
Now they get him, at half the price.

I agree that we did not handle the sacking of Jeff Andrews at all well, and I do feel sorry for Jeff. Having moved on from that, I have no trouble with the actual appointment of Paul Thomas. If he was available at the time, he would have had the job this season.
It could have been a very similar situation at Sturt. There was no doubt that Mattner was going to be appointed for next season, regardless of whether Grima had time left on his contract or not.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:59 pm

You think lessons from the Crows ‘camp gate’ would have been learnt

This is 2020, nothing goes away and the truth always comes out.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
northerner wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:The club's stand on this issue is simple,
We're a different club at Centrals,
it's a different environment than the other clubs & we need to stick to what's best for us,
don't appoint from outside the club because they wouldn't understand how we operate & our culture,
it didn't work with Cowboy,
it didn't work with Kerley,
it didn't really work with Clarko,
success came from the hard work of people like Alan Stewart, Kris Grant, Bill Cochrane & Roy Laird & all the die-hard volunteers who bleed for the club,,
You couldn't get a better Red, White & Blue pedigree than Paul Thomas,
his old man is a legend of the club, as is Paul too & now we have a female Thommo running around,
Port stuck with this principle for years & look where that got them in the SANFL,
we've copied them before & it worked,
time to get back to basics, back to our roots & start to rebuild the winning culture.
At least we'll now have the 100% support of all the players.

Then why did they appoint an outsider for 3 years? Who is taking accountability for that decision?

This indeed was their biggest error.

As for how it's panned out, they have their man... the guy they who they would have chosen 12 months ago if he was available.
Now they get him, at half the price.

I agree that we did not handle the sacking of Jeff Andrews at all well, and I do feel sorry for Jeff. Having moved on from that, I have no trouble with the actual appointment of Paul Thomas. If he was available at the time, he would have had the job this season.
It could have been a very similar situation at Sturt. There was no doubt that Mattner was going to be appointed for next season, regardless of whether Grima had time left on his contract or not.
Cheers

Great point

Both Centrals and Sturt have done legit almost identical things

One has come out of this looking bang average with a ton of lingering questions, the other club has people forgetting who their old coach was
whufc
Coach

Postby northerner » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:23 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
wild dog wrote:Personally as a paid up member and financial contributor, I don't want Kris and the board to spend too much time worrying about the message this appointment process sends to CDFC supporters. We currently have an SANFL administration where the message is effectively that the SANFL league is no longer their main priority. The SANFL exists to support what the AFL wants. If you want to attack a message that affects SANFL supporters, attack that.

We are talking about a club ran on a shoestring who do not have teams of PR executives; from my personal observations we struggle to afford a proper marketing team (come back Kym Jarman please.) There is no network of chums from Saint Knobs or Princes Polishers et al who can knock out a spin team after hours in the Adelaide Club. For the 2000 CDFC members or so, probably a couple of hundred visit the club each week. They can just knock on Kris Grants office door and have a discussion. For me without any knowledge of the process and as an outside spectator, the process was carried out with little fuss and remarkable speed. As to whether Paul was the main contender, so what. They carried out due diligence, held appropriate interviews and made a decision. It happens in the public service every week and in the private sector main contenders are targeted. To think that a public statement would read that they sacked Andrews because a better guy was available on our door step, which could then possibly invoke a clause where Andrews could demand compensation, is naïve to the extreme.

At some point the club must have told Andrews the 'real' reason whether that was in person/via phone/via email so if a public statement is telling the truth then the club should have nothing to worry about in the case of compensation unless Andrews has a genuine case for it, which he would have regardless of what the statement said. I also believe come the AGM the club should be open about the financial position the sacking has put the club in, I hope as others have mentioned that we are actually better of financially for this. Especially given they were begging for money to survive only 12 months ago.

The club are yet to even say that he was sacked due to 'on-field results'

misconduct is a term I've heard

Everyone is hearing something different, that's a pretty nasty rumour if its not true which is why I 100% believe the club need to be honest and truthful and try and end any hear say which was inevitable with the way they handled it.

You are not taking in the hinted message mate.

Suffice to say the Club is not losing money, plus the PT appointment of Thommo means tbey will actually be ahead financially.
Plus the CULTURE of the Club is in safe hands.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Is the clubs culture safe??

I don’t mind the Thommo appointment but does have a tad of the clubs reputation through the 80’s early 90’s of being a job for the boys and being a ‘what is your last name’ club. Wasn’t until Alan Stewart come from outside the club and shook the place from the ground up things changed.

Will the 2000’s culture work in the twenty twenty’s, times change cultures change

I hope Thommo is the man but it’s not 100% cert.
whufc
Coach

Postby northerner » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:07 pm

whufc wrote:Is the clubs culture safe??

I don’t mind the Thommo appointment but does have a tad of the clubs reputation through the 80’s early 90’s of being a job for the boys and being a ‘what is your last name’ club. Wasn’t until Alan Stewart come from outside the club and shook the place from the ground up things changed.

Will the 2000’s culture work in the twenty twenty’s, times change cultures change

Our culture is about players being decent people also...
Thommo knows that culture, has the passion and also picked up knowledge in his roles of the last 4 years.

I have sent you a pm...
Last edited by northerner on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm

whufc wrote:Is the clubs culture safe??

I reckon most of us have now "moved on", looking forward to next year. I can understand why the club has announced things the way they have. I'm pretty happy happy with the "culture" I think Thommo will bring. "Clubs reputation through 80's and early 90's of being a job for the boys" first time I've ever heard of this. Cowboy Neale, Neil Kerley, Stevie Wright external, post Alan Stewart ( a Doggies man), Jonas, Clarkson and Laird. With help from the "boys" like Browny, Buckets, Platten, McCabe, switala and more-worked pretty well for a decade. Of course it's not 100% cert. Thommo is the man -particularly if we can't recruit much (mostly due lack of job provision and lack of major club beneficiaries), but good chance he is.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 pm

whufc wrote:Ps I agree with you about the message the SANFL sends being crap but sadly I think this view is killing our club from the ground up.

I know we were all pissed about the AFL reserves, I know our club is pissed about the entry prices but its been as if the club has turned its anger at the SANFL to not committing itself to grow the club.

Is it just coincidence that 3 of the clubs admins who were all but in bed with the AFL move Glenelg, North, Eagles are now the ones who are up the top.

We have heard the club in recent times whinge about SANFL Crowds are dropping because of the AFL teams entry, we have heard the club 'bag' the fans for not attending...……….wait a second what has the club done in the last 5 years to make a day out at the footy more attractive for the average fan. The ground itself has had no development whatsoever to the point they even took the beer van away from the northern hill which is where the biggest contingent of fans congregate outside of the members wing.

We have heard the club whinge about recruiting becoming to hard yet clubs such as Glenelg, Eagles, North go about their merry way finding ways to recruit players.

We have become so pissed at the SANFL and the way the comp has gone that our club seems to be hurting itself to hurt the SANFL.

Just my two cents about the club I love anyway. I'm happy if you don't agree we all have our own opinions.

we're flat broke, that doesn't help.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:03 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
wild dog wrote:Personally as a paid up member and financial contributor, I don't want Kris and the board to spend too much time worrying about the message this appointment process sends to CDFC supporters. We currently have an SANFL administration where the message is effectively that the SANFL league is no longer their main priority. The SANFL exists to support what the AFL wants. If you want to attack a message that affects SANFL supporters, attack that.

We are talking about a club ran on a shoestring who do not have teams of PR executives; from my personal observations we struggle to afford a proper marketing team (come back Kym Jarman please.) There is no network of chums from Saint Knobs or Princes Polishers et al who can knock out a spin team after hours in the Adelaide Club. For the 2000 CDFC members or so, probably a couple of hundred visit the club each week. They can just knock on Kris Grants office door and have a discussion. For me without any knowledge of the process and as an outside spectator, the process was carried out with little fuss and remarkable speed. As to whether Paul was the main contender, so what. They carried out due diligence, held appropriate interviews and made a decision. It happens in the public service every week and in the private sector main contenders are targeted. To think that a public statement would read that they sacked Andrews because a better guy was available on our door step, which could then possibly invoke a clause where Andrews could demand compensation, is naïve to the extreme.

At some point the club must have told Andrews the 'real' reason whether that was in person/via phone/via email so if a public statement is telling the truth then the club should have nothing to worry about in the case of compensation unless Andrews has a genuine case for it, which he would have regardless of what the statement said. I also believe come the AGM the club should be open about the financial position the sacking has put the club in, I hope as others have mentioned that we are actually better of financially for this. Especially given they were begging for money to survive only 12 months ago.

The club are yet to even say that he was sacked due to 'on-field results'

misconduct is a term I've heard

Everyone is hearing something different, that's a pretty nasty rumour if its not true which is why I 100% believe the club need to be honest and truthful and try and end any hear say which was inevitable with the way they handled it.

I don't think the club can say anything right now, with the threat of legal action hanging around its neck.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 pm

whufc wrote:
Great point

One has come out of this looking bang average with a ton of lingering questions, the other club has people forgetting who their old coach was

Grima was out of contract, completely different
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Great point

You think that Sturt would not have sacked Grima and replaced him with Mattner if Grima had time left on his contract? Knowing that Mattner was available, not a snowball's chance in hell ;) Sturt supporters would have been more vocal about missing out on the opportunity to replace Grima with Mattner than Norwood supporters have been for the calling of Cotton to be replaced. Nathan knew he had no chance of reappointment very early in the season.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby knowledge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 am

bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Great point

You think that Sturt would not have sacked Grima and replaced him with Mattner if Grima had time left on his contract? Knowing that Mattner was available, not a snowball's chance in hell ;) Sturt supporters would have been more vocal about missing out on the opportunity to replace Grima with Mattner than Norwood supporters have been for the calling of Cotton to be replaced. Nathan knew he had no chance of reappointment very early in the season.
Cheers

Not too early. We were equal top at the end of Round 2........
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:45 am

knowledge wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Great point

Cheers

Not too early. We were equal top at the end of Round 2........

Point taken, but it would have taken a premiership for Grima to keep his spot. As soon as Mattner was available, I am sure Sturt would have been looking at getting him as coach for next season; after all, Mattner is (deservedly) a legend of the club.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby robranisgod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:19 am

I hate to be anal, but Sturt weren't equal top after Round 2. North and Glenelg were unbeaten, Sturt had beaten Central and lost easily to the Eagles.
They would have been equal 3rd, but behind Eagles and South on percentage.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby knowledge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:28 pm

robranisgod wrote:I hate to be anal, but Sturt weren't equal top after Round 2. North and Glenelg were unbeaten, Sturt had beaten Central and lost easily to the Eagles.

Correct. 2 Wins, 1 loss after R3. Not sackable at that stage. Particularly after making finals in 2019. Grima lost 2 JO medallist’s out of defence and a further two premiership players (Reily/Greenslade) Sacked coaches have a lot worse records.....
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 pm

knowledge wrote:
robranisgod wrote:I hate to be anal, but Sturt weren't equal top after Round 2. North and Glenelg were unbeaten, Sturt had beaten Central and lost easily to the Eagles.

Correct. 2 Wins, 1 loss after R3. Not sackable at that stage. Particularly after making finals in 2019. Grima lost 2 JO medallist’s out of defence and a further two premiership players (Reily/Greenslade) Sacked coaches have a lot worse records.....

True, but most clubs don't have Marty Mattner ready and willing to take over. Grima would have nearly had to produce a miracle to gain reappointment over Marty. Not saying that is a bad thing... Mattner is an excellent coach. If Sturt supporters knew Mattner was available but they continued with Grima (even if Grima still had time left on his contract), there would have been a huge outcry.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Maggies2002 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:42 am

Absolute cop out for the way they have gone about it. Centrals using tough luck and a backs to the wall attitude towards a guy from the couple of games i saw in the latter part of the year that was getting the job done.

As a former player they are acting as about as professional as the area they are based.

The way they went about it is a bloody disgrace. No verbal contact regarding the sacking I've been told whatsover from my old sources. Payed 90k p.a. for a rude thanks but no thanks. Deserve to go broke, donations should be returned to members.
Maggies2002

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:41 am

Maggies2002 wrote:Absolute cop out for the way they have gone about it. Centrals using tough luck and a backs to the wall attitude towards a guy from the couple of games i saw in the latter part of the year that was getting the job done.

As a former player they are acting as about as professional as the area they are based.

The way they went about it is a bloody disgrace. No verbal contact regarding the sacking I've been told whatsover from my old sources. Payed 90k p.a. for a rude thanks but no thanks. Deserve to go broke, donations should be returned to members.

Luckily your opinion means **** all to us.
And to denigrate the area, which has absolutely nothing to do with the sacking of a footy coach, speaks volumes about what sort of wanker you must be.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby CedeNullis » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:15 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Maggies2002 wrote:Absolute cop out for the way they have gone about it. Centrals using tough luck and a backs to the wall attitude towards a guy from the couple of games i saw in the latter part of the year that was getting the job done.

And to denigrate the area, which has absolutely nothing to do with the sacking of a footy coach, speaks volumes about what sort of wanker you must be.

=D> =D> =D>
CedeNullis
Under 16s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:42 am

CedeNullis wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

plus Sturt haven't exactly got the best record with the way they treat their coaches... Merv Keane says hello ;)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL