2020 SANFL Grand Final North v Eagles

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2020 SANFL Grand Final North v Eagles

Postby Brodlach » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Well done Eagles
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Pseudo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:59 pm

It looks like all the shields on Thomas have been unscrewed and replaced in a checkerboard pattern...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Hazydog » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Congratulations Eags. Keep knocking at doors often enough and eventually someone will let you in. Great resilience and outstanding response after the first quarter when doubts may have been setting in.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:11 pm

image (4).jpg
image (4).jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Well done to the players that had very poor games against the Roosters a couple of weeks back, they certainly turned up today.
It was looking like a deja vu season again come finals time, Woodville West Torrens have definitely earnt their premiership win.
If all the good things i hear about Sheedy are fact then they could be in for a pretty good run for a few years.
Well done all and thank you for some joy.
Celebrate well as a club.
Commiserations North.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Robran » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Whilst I'm so pissed with the way we went today it was a pleasure to be there and watch the eagles in full force today unreal football. To our lads unfortunately we played our worst game for the year still proud to be a rooster for life love the club so much today just wasn't our day. Again well done eagles best team all year and got what u deserved.
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:31 pm

Well done lads

You put all the doubt aside and went in like there was no tomorrow even when we were a few goals down in the first quarter.

Jordan Foote - what a star! Hopefully he sticks around next year because he is that line-breaker we have missed for so many years.

The enter bunch of defenders played so well. Great captains game from Thompson, perhaps his best game for the year.

The move to play Hayes in the ruck for most of the match in preference to Redden was a ballsy move from Sheedy but like most things he has touched this year they have turned to gold.

Now lets make it a dynasty! We don't want to wait another 10 years for the next one!

Looking ahead the only definite out for next year will be Jones who will be at the Power. Some AFL interest in Rowe, Wehr, Mansell and McNeil but I reckon they will just miss out. I suspect one or both of Tsitas and Lowson will head back to Vic next year. There is a couple of likely types in the reserves who are knocking on the door of selection so future looks bright!
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Brucetiki » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Spargo wrote:
RB wrote:Attendance 17,038.

Not bad really considering the way attendance was discouraged including by making it very difficult for those without smartphones.

Forgetting the crowd figure, the smartphone excuse is a cop out. If you are in the minority of football supporters & don’t have one, you would have to have a relative/friend/workmate/carer who has a device they could’ve lent you for the day.

I suspect that a printout of the QR code would work as well as a smartphone.

The sting is gone out of this game. Woodville ought to be burying the chooks at this point.

Ticketek also e-mailed printable e-tickets to everyone who had a ticket this morning
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:45 pm

What a great game what a great win
It’s been 9 years since the eagles last won the flag
I really enjoyed sitting there cheering them on
Was very lucky to get to chat with Jordan Footes grand parents
North fans out numbered eagles fans but for some reason they left very fast :)
Loved the win very happy eagles fan and very very happy the eagles signed Sheedy
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Well done lads

You put all the doubt aside and went in like there was no tomorrow even when we were a few goals down in the first quarter.

Jordan Foote - what a star! Hopefully he sticks around next year because he is that line-breaker we have missed for so many years.

The enter bunch of defenders played so well. Great captains game from Thompson, perhaps his best game for the year.

The move to play Hayes in the ruck for most of the match in preference to Redden was a ballsy move from Sheedy but like most things he has touched this year they have turned to gold.

Now lets make it a dynasty! We don't want to wait another 10 years for the next one!

Looking ahead the only definite out for next year will be Jones who will be at the Power. Some AFL interest in Rowe, Wehr, Mansell and McNeil but I reckon they will just miss out. I suspect one or both of Tsitas and Lowson will head back to Vic next year. There is a couple of likely types in the reserves who are knocking on the door of selection so future looks bright!

Enjoy mate, you’re one of the few Eagles on here who front up win, lose or draw most weeks.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby saintal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Well done Eagles, well deserved.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Congrats to the Eagles, best team all year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Thought significant moment was after the finals loss to North and how Jade Sheedy handled it. With everyone commenting on their terrible finals record, he did not try and brush it off, but embraced it, thought he handled it extremely well.

Encouraged his players to take the game on, knowing they were the best team, and they showed it in the end. Felt for Comma being kept back as Emergency and missing both Premierships, that was a very tough call.

Funny story, Stephen Rowe throwing up in toilets just before game with nerves, hope James was not that nervous, wonder if he was like that when he played (like James Allen, used to throw up before every game, and on the field as well). Can’t wait for him to tell that story on radio tomorrow :D
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:01 am

The Eagles blitz!

They’ve smashed teams, often in the first half, all year and done enough for the rest of the game to win. They saved their best performance for the 2nd quarter and did enough in the 2nd half to hold any possible comeback by North.

It was a dominant season by the Eagles, with a few hiccups along the way.

When it came to the crunch though, this team was well coached and well lead on the field, with plenty of potency and thoroughly deserved their premiership.

Well done Eagles and well done on a good season by North. The start by North was expected, as was a comeback in the 2nd half, given the history between these two clubs. But, the Eagles were too good.

Foote dominant. Poole fantastic. Redden stood up in that 2nd quarter to give the consistent on-ball brigade of Sinor, Tsitas and Toumpas first look. Giuffreda was very good in that first quarter when things weren’t going the Eagles way. It was a case of all played well and I’m sure they’ll all celebrate well too.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 am

Congratulations Eagles. The best side of the 2020 season demonstrated exactly that yesterday afternoon, when it counts the most. An impressive juggernaut that we could not answer once they got into gear in the second quarter, which is where the game was won and lost. They made North look second rate, continually placing us under intense pressure - I reckon we gave away more turnovers than Sarah Lee - and we couldn’t deal with it, often hesitating and making many forced and unforced errors. All 19th player jokes aside, it felt like the Eagles had about 25 players on the field, which is what happens when you’re absolutely dominating a footy match and everything is falling into place. To all associated with footy down at Oval Avenue, take a bow and enjoy the spoils of victory, your spot atop the the brewery chimney has been well earned.

And for that reason, I’m disappointed with the result, but not entirely surprised to be honest. No disgrace in being comfortably beaten by the top side who was the better team on paper and had genuine reasons to make a stand on the biggest stage given previous finals performances (e.g. a fortnight ago, the 2018 prelim, a couple of recent GFs, plus the 2000s vs Centrals). I think its fair to say that Sheedy has gone a long way in removing those monkeys from the club’s back. In the back of my mind I feared that our win in the second semi might somehow backfire, by providing the Eagles with ammunition to prove the footy world wrong (including some Eagles fans on this forum), and I suspect that was at least a contributing factor in yesterday’s result.

Overall, though, it’s been a very good year at Prospect in the most unusual of seasons. When things kicked off I’m not sure anyone expected us to play in the GF or finish top two at the end of the minor round. I renewed my membership/season ticket in April expecting there to be no SANFL footy at all. Hopefully we can retain the bulk of the playing group, and they can reflect on the experience and pain of yesterday as part of our own narrative for reaching the premiership summit again. I’m not sure that we have any genuine draftees in the league list, and there’s some talent in the reserves that have had a taste of league action during the year who will blossom further. With some smart recruiting thrown in for good measure I’m confident Jacob Surjan and the brains trust can ensure we remain competitive again next season. Onwards to 2021.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby goddy11 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:34 am

Very well written Magellan. I liked your second Paragraph.
Funny how in recent years bar last year the winner has come from the Prelim Final.
In 2015 the Eagles where easily the best side, but I always worried about WA, We could not beat them easily during H/A matches and then we went into GF with injuries.
In 2016 with a good season I was very confident as a supporter. We beat Sturt easily during the year.We comfortably beat Sturt in the second semi and that year SA was second best side but Sturt easily beat us in a GF that I thought we just had to show up to. Our unbeaten reserves got their pants pulled down that year as well.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:14 am

Well done to the Eagles, very happy for a couple of mates and one who is on the WWT board, he does a power of work, very worthy reward for effort. Now, WWT, we'll have Jones. Thank you for that.

Commiserations to the North folks, couldn't get it done for Holly. RIP.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:09 am

Switched the TV on with North leading 19-1 (think I did the same with the Semi and the score line was about the same too) and thought it was probably unlikely the Eagles get back from there, but that 2nd quarter was like Wow :shock: I’m not sure I can recall a more dominant quarter of SANFL footy in the modern era. As a supporter of a club that (sadly) doesn’t play anywhere near as direct, it was just so impressive to watch. Congrats to the Eagles, the reason why you were top all season was emphatically on display. Commiserations to North, doubt you’ll be far away next season so redemption may only take 12 months.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am

JK wrote:Switched the TV on with North leading 19-1 (think I did the same with the Semi and the score line was about the same too) and thought it was probably unlikely the Eagles get back from there, but that 2nd quarter was like Wow :shock: I’m not sure I can recall a more dominant quarter of SANFL footy in the modern era. As a supporter of a club that (sadly) doesn’t play anywhere near as direct, it was just so impressive to watch. Congrats to the Eagles, the reason why you were top all season was emphatically on display. Commiserations to North, doubt you’ll be far away next season so redemption may only take 12 months.

Was saying to a mate last night haven't seen a quarter like that since the '94 GF, Port kicked 9 goals in the last quarter, 5 of those to Hodges.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:Switched the TV on with North leading 19-1 (think I did the same with the Semi and the score line was about the same too) and thought it was probably unlikely the Eagles get back from there, but that 2nd quarter was like Wow :shock: I’m not sure I can recall a more dominant quarter of SANFL footy in the modern era. As a supporter of a club that (sadly) doesn’t play anywhere near as direct, it was just so impressive to watch. Congrats to the Eagles, the reason why you were top all season was emphatically on display. Commiserations to North, doubt you’ll be far away next season so redemption may only take 12 months.

Was saying to a mate last night haven't seen a quarter like that since the '94 GF, Port kicked 9 goals in the last quarter, 5 of those to Hodges.

Ha, a mate asked me yesterday If that was the most dominant GF quarter I’d seen .. Said it’s certainly the most dominant since Ports last Q in 94
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL