R1 WWT v Sturt 2.35 PM

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R1 WWT v Sturt 2.35 PM

Postby Mr Fuller » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:32 pm

Very good win in the end.

We outplayed Sturt the entire match but only our poor kicking for goal kept Sturt in the match. Sturt were also more efficient going forward.

Both sides showing cobwebs in the skills department for much of the first half as to be expected in Round 1. Thought we really turned it on in the last quarter.

Of our new recruits I like the look of Macfarlane the most. Played a good first up game and I think has plenty of scope to get better. Both Menzels, but particularly Troy, were good. However I'd like to see them lead more direct which would result in an easier shot on goal rather than to the deep pockets. But not sure whether that was more the issue of the way ball was being delivered to the forward line for the first few quarters?

I thought Jungfer and Pudney have both showed clear signs of improvement from last year which is pleasing. Tsitas, Knight and Giuffreda were the others in my best.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby ferret » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:37 am

Wedgie wrote:Menzel boys the difference, 7 goals to them today.

Eagles win by 46pts.

Don't think so, they contributed, but still would have won without them, but still will be great additions to the Eagles.

Good crowd of 2,960.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Eagles win by 46pts.

They played well. Appeared to be everywhere in the forward lines. I can't understand why Centrals got rid of them.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 pm

goddy11 wrote:

Eagles win by 46pts.

They played well. Appeared to be everywhere in the forward lines. I can't understand why Centrals got rid of them.

They got rid of Centrals.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:03 pm

Groucho wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Eagles win by 46pts.

My thoughts are they couldn't stand a whining noise constantly on the mound. :)
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:11 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Groucho wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Eagles win by 46pts.

You're so funny. :evil:
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:45 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Groucho wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Eagles win by 46pts.

Whatever reason they left thank goodness they came to oval ave .
One has an interesting way to kick the goals but it works so why not .
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:58 pm

MJP1993 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
Groucho wrote:[quote="goddy11"

I was correcting a smart arse comment from a dickhead. I wanted the true reason they left on here not crap from an agitator.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:27 pm

Groucho wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
Groucho wrote:[quote="goddy11"

I was correcting a smart arse comment from a dickhead. I wanted the true reason they left on here not crap from an agitator.

Groucho it’s Easter be happy your team won
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:38 pm

I am happy Centrals won and enjoyed the game. I don't appreciate smart alecs getting stuck into me, it ruined my enjoyment.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby goddy11 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:43 pm

If Groucho was at the Crucifixion he would complain that the nails were too small or not enough nails. :)
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:45 pm

Groucho wrote:I am happy Centrals won and enjoyed the game. I don't appreciate smart alecs getting stuck into me, it ruined my enjoyment.

For a change it’s not me
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:50 pm

goddy11 wrote:If Groucho was at the Crucifixion he would complain that the nails were too small or not enough nails. :)

You're a Country Member.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Kahuna » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:49 pm

Groucho wrote:You're a Country Member.

Was that Gough?

Edit: Yes it was.
For those who haven't heard this before---

In response to Sir Winston Turnbull shouting in parliament: “I am a Country member”

“I remember,” replied Whitlam, to applause from both sides of the aisle.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Groucho wrote:
goddy11 wrote:If Groucho was at the Crucifixion he would complain that the nails were too small or not enough nails. :)

You're a Country Member.

Did I wake you from a wet dream.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby goddy11 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:21 am

There was a lot to like about Sturt. At half time I was worried. They absorbed a fair bit of pressure in the second 1/4 then came back to hit the lead. The defense was great. I think their gut running plan may have come undone in the hot weather. They will win a few games more than expected this year.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:53 am

goddy11 wrote:There was a lot to like about Sturt. At half time I was worried. They absorbed a fair bit of pressure in the second 1/4 then came back to hit the lead. The defense was great. I think their gut running plan may have come undone in the hot weather. They will win a few games more than expected this year.

The only worry I had was that we were so dominant but incredibly wasteful going forward constantly bombing the ball in without lifting our eyes or going wide to a pocket giving our forwards a much tougher shot for goal. And often when we did have a shot from goal from 50m dead in front we'd tentatively kick the ball and not make the distance! Sturt had much less play but were far more structured going forward. However because we were swamping them with our play I always felt that we'd get there in the end.

The Eagles definitely need to improve on that performance if we are going to beat South, Glenelg and Norwood but pleasing that we still got the job done comfortably in the end.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:04 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
goddy11 wrote:There was a lot to like about Sturt. At half time I was worried. They absorbed a fair bit of pressure in the second 1/4 then came back to hit the lead. The defense was great. I think their gut running plan may have come undone in the hot weather. They will win a few games more than expected this year.

The only worry I had was that we were so dominant but incredibly wasteful going forward constantly bombing the ball in without lifting our eyes or going wide to a pocket giving our forwards a much tougher shot for goal. And often when we did have a shot from goal from 50m dead in front we'd tentatively kick the ball and not make the distance! Sturt had much less play but were far more structured going forward. However because we were swamping them with our play I always felt that we'd get there in the end.

The Eagles definitely need to improve on that performance if we are going to beat South, Glenelg and Norwood but pleasing that we still got the job done comfortably in the end.

It highlighted the Eagles missing Rowe hopefully Stengle can fill that gap ,
Any word on West ?
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:18 am

MJP1993 wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

Any word on West ?

Yes I think Stengle could play a very important role for us. What happened to West?

Looks like a few of our recruits in who played in the reserves played pretty handy games - Hardie and Sharman

Where are Hall and Burgoyne?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby Dogs64 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:52 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

Any word on West ?

Yes I think Stengle could play a very important role for us. What happened to West?

Looks like a few of our recruits in who played in the reserves played pretty handy games - Hardie and Sharman

Where are Hall and Burgoyne?

Wasn't there talk on the radio, Hall (after 183 or whatever games) was told he's not required?
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL