R2 Glenelg v WWT Saturday 1610

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R2 Glenelg v WWT Saturday 1610

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:30 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:Whats the first name of the Morgan playing reserves for the Eagles.

Harry, ex Glenelg junior from our Henley Beach zone ;)

squad member for our 2016,18s

Was at Port Magpies as a top up player for the last two years IIRC

Cheers, thought it may have been Alex Morgan making a surprise return.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:13 pm

Bays looking the goods here.up by 30 points early in the last.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stampy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:40 pm

great effort by our boys, couldnt buy a goal in the first half but destroyed them after half time, GO BAYS!!!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Spargo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:02 pm

One of the more dominant 4 qtr displays from our blokes I’ve seen in a while. Should’ve been 6 up at half time but for missing easy goals.
Absolutely loved our tackling. Parto, Turner, Curran, Hosie & Reynolds excellent. Nice first game to Horsnell too.
Plenty to like but plenty to work on, decision making when not under pressure the stand out.
To the Eagles supporters who made the arduous trek today, well done. To the few who numerous times mentioned the premiership players missing from last year whilst getting your arse kicked, stop - just bloody stop. We lost 7-8 flag players last year & the league’s leading goal kicker in the mid year draft in a premiership year. Deal with it.
Good weekend for the club with the B Grade, U/18’s & U/16’s all recording comfortable wins too.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Aerie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:29 pm

Glenelg wanted it more today in difficult windy conditions. Glenelg should’ve been up by more early, but for poor goal kicking. The Eagles best patch was probably the last half of the 3rd quarter, except for the last 2 minutes. Trailing by just 6 points and kicking with a strong breeze in the last quarter - somehow the Eagles got themselves in a potential match winning position at the 25 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, but Glenelg kicked two late goals and it didn’t take them long in the last to put on the scoreboard what it looked like watching the game. Eagles out muscled and Glenelg far superior in the air. I thought Jack Hayes was our best. Dan Menzel the only dangerous forward. Jungfer and Pudney again had good games. Plenty of work to do for the Eagles and for Sheedy to work out how to get the best out of his squad.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Aerie wrote:Glenelg wanted it more today in difficult windy conditions. Glenelg should’ve been up by more early, but for poor goal kicking. The Eagles best patch was probably the last half of the 3rd quarter, except for the last 2 minutes. Trailing by just 6 points and kicking with a strong breeze in the last quarter - somehow the Eagles got themselves in a potential match winning position at the 25 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, but Glenelg kicked two late goals and it didn’t take them long in the last to put on the scoreboard what it looked like watching the game. Eagles out muscled and Glenelg far superior in the air. I thought Jack Hayes was our best. Dan Menzel the only dangerous forward. Jungfer and Pudney again had good games. Plenty of work to do for the Eagles and for Sheedy to work out how to get the best out of his squad.

^ fair assessment that.

I was fairly happy with Glenelg's second term. I thought the Bays would play dour defensive footy to limit the damage but they took the game on. Thought they did well to be about level at the half. While the return in front of goal was crap, some (but not all) of that was due to the Eagles' pressure, forcing some rushed kicks on goal.

I thought the Eagles' third term was very good. Despite those two late goals I thought the Bays were done at 3/4 time, with the Eagles coming home with the breeze. Glenelg's attacking footy in the final term was first class. Full credit to the Eagles, I thought they fought the game out well, they never dropped their heads.

At one point Glenelg was 1.9. I wonder, is that the most inaccurate Glenelg has been that far into a match? One for @spell_check .
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby stampy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:18 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Aerie wrote:Glenelg wanted it more today in difficult windy conditions. Glenelg should’ve been up by more early, but for poor goal kicking. The Eagles best patch was probably the last half of the 3rd quarter, except for the last 2 minutes. Trailing by just 6 points and kicking with a strong breeze in the last quarter - somehow the Eagles got themselves in a potential match winning position at the 25 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, but Glenelg kicked two late goals and it didn’t take them long in the last to put on the scoreboard what it looked like watching the game. Eagles out muscled and Glenelg far superior in the air. I thought Jack Hayes was our best. Dan Menzel the only dangerous forward. Jungfer and Pudney again had good games. Plenty of work to do for the Eagles and for Sheedy to work out how to get the best out of his squad.

^ fair assessment that.

I was fairly happy with Glenelg's second term. I thought the Bays would play dour defensive footy to limit the damage but they took the game on. Thought they did well to be about level at the half. While the return in front of goal was crap, some (but not all) of that was due to the Eagles' pressure, forcing some rushed kicks on goal.

I thought the Eagles' third term was very good. Despite those two late goals I thought the Bays were done at 3/4 time, with the Eagles coming home with the breeze. Glenelg's attacking footy in the final term was first class. Full credit to the Eagles, I thought they fought the game out well, they never dropped their heads.

At one point Glenelg was 1.9. I wonder, is that the most inaccurate Glenelg has been that far into a match? One for @spell_check .

Funny, i thought we would have been stiff to lose at lemon time
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 am

Pseudo wrote:At one point Glenelg was 1.9. I wonder, is that the most inaccurate Glenelg has been that far into a match? One for @spell_check .

84’ Prelim? :-"
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:29 am

JK wrote:
Pseudo wrote:At one point Glenelg was 1.9. I wonder, is that the most inaccurate Glenelg has been that far into a match? One for @spell_check .

:axe:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 am

JK wrote:

For memory it was 1.8 or 1.9 at 1/4 time but I can’t exactly remember their scoring sequence in the second quarter
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 am

Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:

For memory it was 1.8 or 1.9 at 1/4 time but I can’t exactly remember their scoring sequence in the second quarter

Yeah, 1.8 at qtr time then kicked 4.7 in the second.

Spargo
Coach

Postby stampy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 am

Spargo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:

thanks for reminding me of another farrrrrkn nighmare :twisted:
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am

Spargo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:

I can’t quite remember the scoring sequence in the second. My vague memory was that you scored a couple more points in the second before scoring your second goal. Perhaps it was 1.9 or 1.10 at one stage??
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:47 am

Pretty sure we got to 1.10

Spargo
Coach

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am

I'm tipping that the Eagles losing every grade has not happened too often of late.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:34 pm

With very tricky, windy conditions it was always going to be a case of whichever team could adjust the quickest with smart footy was always going to come out on top. I actually thought we matched it with the Bays for most of the match around the footy and entries forward. Glenelg were wasteful in front of goal but we were once again abysmal with our entries when we kicking it forward - just blindly bombing it in and/or putting the ball on our heads to make an easy spoil. This is something we need to quickly work out because we aren't going to be a threat if we keep it up.

D Menzel had an excellent game but interesting that his brother was unsighted. I feel like they play very similar style games so I'm wondering whether they might compete with each other for the same footy? They combined well last week against Sturt and they will need to replicate this.

Jack Hayes and Cameron played a decent games and Poole was reasonable. Pudney was useful but the biggest knock on him is his lack of tackling and pressure. He has registered one tackle in two games so I'm sure Sheedy will be in his ear about that.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:57 pm

A win that in many ways sets the minimum expectations going forward with respect to: effort, pressure, and instinctive support to our team mates with the ball.

We’ve proven we can do it against the reigning premier, so that is the standard we know were capable of over the next 24 weeks
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:06 pm

Spargo wrote:One of the more dominant 4 qtr displays from our blokes I’ve seen in a while. Should’ve been 6 up at half time but for missing easy goals.
Absolutely loved our tackling. Parto, Turner, Curran, Hosie & Reynolds excellent. Nice first game to Horsnell too.
Plenty to like but plenty to work on, decision making when not under pressure the stand out.
To the Eagles supporters who made the arduous trek today, well done. To the few who numerous times mentioned the premiership players missing from last year whilst getting your arse kicked, stop - just bloody stop. We lost 7-8 flag players last year & the league’s leading goal kicker in the mid year draft in a premiership year. Deal with it.
Good weekend for the club with the B Grade, U/18’s & U/16’s all recording comfortable wins too.

We’ve still got three out who are on our list and will play this year

As you say Spargo, Deal with it. You win flags you get pillaged
am Bays
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:

With very tricky, windy conditions it was always going to be a case of whichever team could adjust the quickest with smart footy was always going to come out on top. I actually thought we matched it with the Bays for most of the match around the footy and entries forward. Glenelg were wasteful in front of goal but we were once again abysmal with our entries when we kicking it forward - just blindly bombing it in and/or putting the ball on our heads to make an easy spoil. This is something we need to quickly work out because we aren't going to be a threat if we keep it up.

D Menzel had an excellent game but interesting that his brother was unsighted. I feel like they play very similar style games so I'm wondering whether they might compete with each other for the same footy? They combined well last week against Sturt and they will need to replicate this.

Jack Hayes and Cameron played a decent games and Poole was reasonable. Pudney was useful but the biggest knock on him is his lack of tackling and pressure. He has registered one tackle in two games so I'm sure Sheedy will be in his ear about that.

Don't think Troy was out there after half time after getting his face rearranged in the second quarter
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Gazz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 am

am Bays and Spargo and anybody else-you ain't telling us anything new. The Eagles have been pillaged more than any local club over the years and we are always thereabouts.Will be again
Gazz
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL