R3 Eagles v Adelaide Saturday 2.10PM

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R3 Eagles v Adelaide Saturday 2.10PM

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Both these sides sit at a win and a loss each. The Eagles losing by 5 goals at Glenelg with Adelaide getting up over West with the last scoring kick.

I would imagine that Adelaide will have the same AFL players available as last week but my also have Cook and Crouch. Chris Hall will play yet again at Oval Avenue but for the visitors. Seems a great pity that he will not see out his career there.

Eagles will be without Troy Menzel who was concussed badly so at least one change. A five goal loss will probably mean a couple of form changes. The Eagles look like they will have returning from injury Goldsworthy and Giuffreda who would be handy inclusions.

Eagles by 5 goals.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Re: R3 Eagles v Adelaide Saturday 2.10PM

Postby arcadefire » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm

Stengle to play against his ex club???
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Reddeer » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 pm

arcadefire wrote:Stengle to play against his ex club???

No still serving 4 games suspension, 2 to go
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Eagles are always a better side when Giuffreda is in the side. Not the most polished of players but he brings leadership and a steady hand to our defence and rarely gets beaten.

Goldy has been sorely missed, particularly in the way he delivers the ball. His last 12 months have been plagued by injuries so would hope we take the cautious approach and only play him when he is fully ready and match fit. He is too valuable a player to us to have on the sidelines.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby arcadefire » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:39 pm

Reddeer wrote:

Okay then..i thought he could count the 1st 2 AFL games as he didn't play in the trials for those weeks and the crows had 2 rounds...
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 pm

Clashing with the AFLW GF so probably can only expect half of the anticipated 4,000 Crows fans to attend.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby MJP1993 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 am

arcadefire wrote:
Reddeer wrote:

Okay then..i thought he could count the 1st 2 AFL games as he didn't play in the trials for those weeks and the crows had 2 rounds...

A couple of eagles fans closer than me have said Stengle needs to miss four crows games he has .
So should be back this week .
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby ferret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am

Mr Fuller wrote:Eagles are always a better side when Giuffreda is in the side. Not the most polished of players but he brings leadership and a steady hand to our defence and rarely gets beaten.

Goldy has been sorely missed, particularly in the way he delivers the ball. His last 12 months have been plagued by injuries so would hope we take the cautious approach and only play him when he is fully ready and match fit. He is too valuable a player to us to have on the sidelines.

Great comment "Mr Fuller" has been a pillar of the club for a long time. Always has time for supporters and treats them extremely well. A sensational role model.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 pm

I would say 3 changes at least this week. Stengle for Menzel (concussion) Patrick Giuffreda if fit and maybe Goldsworthy if fit. I'd like to see Sam Rowland in there a well. Not sure who will drop out maybe Mead, Williams or Pudney.

We should easily beat the Crows .
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby ferret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:12 pm

goddy11 wrote:I would say 3 changes at least this week. Stengle for Menzel (concussion) Patrick Giuffreda if fit and maybe Goldsworthy if fit. I'd like to see Sam Rowland in there a well. Not sure who will drop out maybe Mead, Williams or Pudney.

Don't really like to see youngsters like Mead and Williams dropped after one or two games. Meady is starting to become one of my favourites, I just like the way he goes about his football. I don't think Zane is fully confident yet, Saturday was a tough game to come in to. Zane has a little X factor about him and will definitely get better.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:53 pm

ferret wrote:
goddy11 wrote:I would say 3 changes at least this week. Stengle for Menzel (concussion) Patrick Giuffreda if fit and maybe Goldsworthy if fit. I'd like to see Sam Rowland in there a well. Not sure who will drop out maybe Mead, Williams or Pudney.

Don't really like to see youngsters like Mead and Williams dropped after one or two games. Meady is starting to become one of my favourites, I just like the way he goes about his football. I don't think Zane is fully confident yet, Saturday was a tough game to come in to. Zane has a little X factor about him and will definitely get better.

Unfortunately to get those players in some must come out.

Pudney brings the team something I feel we currently lack at the moment which is run and carry. His biggest weakness is his lack of pressure acts reflected by his lack of tackling.

I feel like Sheedy is seriously trying to give Mead a go to allow him to fully realise his potential which is understandable. I have really own seen him play the two matches this year which isn't a lot to go on but being brutally honest I haven't really been super impressed and am wondering whether back pocket may not be where he is best suited?

I have been a huge wrap for Williams and think he is probably the main youngster at our club with the potential to get drafted so it would be a shame if he was dropped. But his quiet game last week will probably see him being sent back to the reserves.

Lehman may be another casualty if Giuffreda is fit to come back in.

Haylock had a good game in the reserves and will be strongly considered

I think it will be Stengle, Giuffreda and Haylock in and Lehman, Williams and T Menzel out
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:45 pm

Brayden Cook will debut for Adelaide.
DOC
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 pm

I missed it but I’m told channel 7 announced Tyson Stengle is back from suspension and playing against Adelaide
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 am

EAGLES

The Eagles will welcome back Tyson Stengle for their match against Adelaide at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval.

Yet to play a League game for his original SANFL club, the 22-year-old goalsneak is the ideal replacement for Troy Menzel, who will miss with concussion.

The former Richmond Tiger has been joined in the Eagles’ 25-man squad by veteran pair Patrick Giuffreda and Matt Goldsworthy while Sam Rowland and Nick Moore also return.

Key defender Rory Lehmann was squeezed out of the line-up.

League

F: Lonergan, D. Menzel, Poole

HF: Stengle, Von Bertouch, Cameron

C: Toumpas, Tsitas, Pudney

HB: Seymour, Thompson, Rowland

B: McFarlane, Giuffreda, Mead

R: Hayes, Sinor, Knight

INT: Firns, Jungfer, Hardie, Moore, Redden, Williams, Goldsworthy

IN: Giuffreda, Rowland, Stengle, Goldsworthy, Moore

OUT: T. Menzel (concussion), Lehmann

NEW: Tyson Stengle (Adelaide/returned)

Reserves
Mills, Haylock, Kerrish, Beecken, R Mutch, Schmusch, Bruce, Gaffney, Sharman, Morgan, Dawkins, Pearce, Michael, Lehmann, McLeod, Asfaha, Hoile, Buck, Litster, Kasianowicz, Jackson, Wheare

Under-18
F: Pitman, Lukac, Calvett
HF: Neumann, Cooke, Pearce
C: O’Reilly, Nicholls, Watson
HB: Thomson, Hunter-Price, Phillipou
B: Hansen, Ueding, Wollogorang

R: Phillips, Burgoyne, D’Aloia
INT: Adams, Brnaford, Carter, Dwyer, Harnas, Hawker, Launer, Menta

ADELAIDE

South Adelaide draftee Brayden Cook will make his League debut against the Eagles at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval.

The skilful wingman has been troubled by shoulder surgery but is set to be unleashed on a wing for the Crows.

Former Eagles Chris Hall will confront his ex-teammates when he lines up in his second League game for Adelaide after racking up 22 disposals against West in Round 2.

League

F: Davis, Hall, J. Mathews

HF: J. Cook, Thilthorpe, Clarke

C: Newchurch, Pedlar, B. Cook

HB: McAsey, Borlase, Wright

B: Latchford, Merrett, L. Mathews

R: Strachan, Boyle, O’Connor

INT: AFL Emergenices to be added

NEW: Brayden Cook (South Adelaide)
DOC
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Hybrids by 41pts.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:46 pm

arcadefire wrote:
Reddeer wrote:

I just don't get this.

How can a four game suspension be anything but missing four games for the Eagles?

He is/was simply not eligible to play for any other club.
DOC
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:15 pm

DOC wrote:
arcadefire wrote:
Reddeer wrote:

I just don't get this.

How can a four game suspension be anything but missing four games for the Eagles?

From what I’ve read online he had to miss 4 AFL games that was last week . Week 1 was the trial game eagles v Adelaide
So technically he’s served his four AFL games
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:33 pm

If he was on an AFL list, this would be correct.

But, he's not.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:40 pm

DOC wrote:
arcadefire wrote:
Reddeer wrote:

I just don't get this.

Agree that the circumstances are a bit weird. The suspension is from the AFL competition so it means he can't play for 4 AFL games or in any other competition during that 4 weeks.

I vaguely recall a somewhat similar scenario but in reverse occurring when Robert Shirley was still on the Crows list but got suspended playing for the Eagles for a spear tackle against West Adelaide. I think he might have got something like 3 weeks suspension, but because this was an SANFL suspension and the Eagles had a bye during those 3 weeks, it then effectively became a 4 week suspension from AFL.

It also becomes a grey area when an AFL-listed player gets suspended in the SANFL near the end of the season such that the suspension carries over to next year, but their AFL team is still playing finals. I think that has happened once or was close to happening a couple of years ago?

(At least we're not at the stage yet of allowing AFL players to play for their reserves team whilst serving an AFL suspension like the VFL allowed with Dangerfield - although I'm waiting for Port to get a player suspended so Chris Davies can complain that they are at a disadvantage compared to other AFL teams.)
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Dangerfield didn't play in the VFL. He played in two practise games.
If a Port player gets suspended he's welcome to play practise games next year if he wishes.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL