Round 1

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 1

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:29 pm

South gave their best to O'Neil, Menzie, Gibbs. Haines, Overall

Brett Reilly joins Kym Cobb with 100% coaching records.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:59 am

Anyone know the background to Westies Guernsey last night.

Looked like red and white
DOC
Coach

Postby stampy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:14 am

southernbulldog wrote:A few posters on here will be disappointed we got so close to South after they predicted at least a 10 goal loss .Cant question the effort or commitment of the boys today they tried their guts out and just couldnt quite get over the line.Whilst disappointing to lose if we play like that every week and have a crack thats all we can ask for and hopefully turn games into wins.

i was one who predicted a 10 goal loss but am not disappointed, was following the score down at the bay and was hoping the dogs would get up!!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Brendan M » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:29 am

Entertaining game at Woodville, North playing on at all costs, and their wayward kicking kept us in it. Interesting to see coach Surjan operating from the boundary line, good momentum for most of the day and were strong enough when the Eagles challenged them in the last quarter.
Brendan M
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Wolf Pack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:45 am

DOC wrote:Anyone know the background to Westies Guernsey last night.

It was the 130 year heritage jumper that was the original West jumper worn in 1892.
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Pseudo » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:15 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:

It was the 130 year heritage jumper that was the original West jumper worn in 1892.

The football budget had a brief article which claimed the guernsey was "inspired by the original magenta guernsey" or similar words.

Which reads to me like "similar to the original guernsey but they didn't want to wear a shade of pink".

I had thought that West started out in red white and blue but switched to red and black after the original Adelaide club folded. One for the history forum perhaps.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:20 pm

stampy wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:A few posters on here will be disappointed we got so close to South after they predicted at least a 10 goal loss .Cant question the effort or commitment of the boys today they tried their guts out and just couldnt quite get over the line.Whilst disappointing to lose if we play like that every week and have a crack thats all we can ask for and hopefully turn games into wins.

i was one who predicted a 10 goal loss but am not disappointed, was following the score down at the bay and was hoping the dogs would get up!!

Yeah me too, not sure why I would be disappointed?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:29 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Wolf Pack wrote:

The football budget had a brief article which claimed the guernsey was "inspired by the original magenta guernsey" or similar words.

Which reads to me like "similar to the original guernsey but they didn't want to wear a shade of pink".

I had thought that West started out in red white and blue but switched to red and black after the original Adelaide club folded. One for the history forum perhaps.

From their website

"In 1892, West Adelaide wore red and white and their home ground was opposite Annesley College in the South Parklands. (This was formerly known as Way College and Methodist Ladies College). In the second year of the clubs playing existence (1893), West Adelaide transferred its home ground to the West Parklands.Adelaide City Council records confirm that the WAFC club wore a Red & White strip when it won the 1895 premiership in the City and Suburban Association with ten wins, one loss and a draw. West Adelaide went back-to-back winning the 1896 premiership and was recognised as the best side outside of the senior association.
On Wednesday March 31 of 1897, West Adelaide formally wrote to the S.A.F.A seeking admission to League football. This was duly granted on April 12 and hence the original programme circulated for the 1897 season was amended to six teams eliminating the weekly bye. West Adelaide had to change its colours from Magenta and White as it would have clashed with Port Adelaide and North Adelaide. The committee then decided to adopt the colours from the defunct Adelaide Football Club – Red and Black.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Tipping ladder

WHUFC 1
Spargo 1
AMBays 1
Gazz 2
Locky 3
Sthn Bull 3
DOC 4
DOC
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:41 pm

DOC wrote:Tipping ladder

WHUFC 1
Spargo 1
AMBays 1
Gazz 2
Locky 3
Sthn Bull 3
DOC 4

What tipping comp is this @DOC?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5477 times
Been liked: 5119 times

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:48 pm

The one I started when I realised I got 4 and no one else did.

I gave you and AMBays the away teams for not submitting your tips. You were the only ones to get North. Well done.
DOC
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:50 pm

DOC wrote:The one I started when I realised I got 4 and no one else did.

I gave you and AMBays the away teams for not submitting your tips. You were the only ones to get North. Well done.

Yep, fair enough.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5477 times
Been liked: 5119 times

Postby Hazydog » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:13 pm

DOC wrote:The one I started when I realised I got 4 and no one else did.

Mark me down for 4! Wouldn’t have picked North.. that result ruined a number of multis.

Thought the Dogs would be competitive but unlikely to win. Got closer than I thought.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:45 pm

I got 4/4

I correctly tipped that Westies, Eagles, Norwood and Centrals would win the free kick counts and they did.

TBH my westies tip was a mistake as we all know Sturt get the ride from the umps, has been that way since the days of Kutcher, Basheer and Whicker....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:Fair effort by the Roosters today beating the reigning premier on their home deck. Completely unexpected.
North have a lot of exciting players, just a shame their away guernsey was so horrid.
Was a really fun day at Woodville,

I didn’t mind the North guernsey - was the one I remember them wearing watching as a kid. I did see a glimpse of the new style V guernsey, with the V coming from the shoulders. That one looks the best of all. Or is that just a training top?

As for the game, they beat us last time we played them at Prospect. They were charging towards finals, but lost unexpectedly to miss the top 3, then got bundled out in the Elimination. Not overly concerning for the Eagles, they didn’t play too bad and had they converted a couple of those shots at the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th, they would’ve had North worried. North too good in the end though and won comfortably.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:30 pm

am Bays wrote:I got 4/4

I correctly tipped that Westies, Eagles, Norwood and Centrals would win the free kick counts and they did.

TBH my westies tip was a mistake as we all know Sturt get the ride from the umps, has been that way since the days of Kutcher, Basheer and Whicker....

Nope.

You got one. !. Between zero and two.
DOC
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:59 am

Haha.

Would have got 3.

Definitely would have tipped South, Glenelg and Sturt.

No chance I would have tipped North and if it was included would have gone Port.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:40 am

Aerie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Fair effort by the Roosters today beating the reigning premier on their home deck. Completely unexpected.
North have a lot of exciting players, just a shame their away guernsey was so horrid.
Was a really fun day at Woodville,

I didn’t mind the North guernsey - was the one I remember them wearing watching as a kid. I did see a glimpse of the new style V guernsey, with the V coming from the shoulders. That one looks the best of all. Or is that just a training top?

As for the game, they beat us last time we played them at Prospect. They were charging towards finals, but lost unexpectedly to miss the top 3, then got bundled out in the Elimination. Not overly concerning for the Eagles, they didn’t play too bad and had they converted a couple of those shots at the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th, they would’ve had North worried. North too good in the end though and won comfortably.

The higher V is the training top but agreed it looks great.
An even bigger shame than the away guernsey is we will be wearing red shorts with out home guernsey, looks so much better with white.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:36 pm

Round 1 SANFL Match Review Panel
Adelaide defender Nick Murray has accepted a $125 fine and reprimand with an early guilty plea for engaging in rough conduct with Port’s Dante Visentini at Adelaide Oval on Friday night.

Round 1 Powerade Breakthrough Player
The Round 1 Powerade Breakthrough Player is South Adelaide’s Jye Menzie.

Recruited from North Hobart, the Panthers’ goalsneak kicked 4.3 from his 11 disposals in a memorable SANFL League debut against Central

Well deserved. His defensive pressure was first class as well.
DOC
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL