Admission prices

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Admission prices

Postby Dogs64 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:48 pm

No doubt this has been mentioned. I purchased a membership, but not home match tickets this year as unsure of how many games I can make. Disappointed that admission is $17 an adult. Seems crazy from the sanfl if they're trying to attract people. Last time I paid rather than season ticket I thought it was about $10.
Also purchased the sanfl "digital pass" previously some of the money would go to the club does this still happen?
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Re: Admission prices

Postby DOC » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:05 pm

You only have to attend 4 games to be in front.

I thought it was a no brainer.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby saintal » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:42 pm

$12-14 would be fair. Crowd numbers have been on the slide for a few years now, so give people an incentive to get back to the footy.

The steep price increase in the digital pass was also disappointing (yes the overall product has improved though)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:30 pm

saintal wrote:$12-14 would be fair. Crowd numbers have been on the slide for a few years now, so give people an incentive to get back to the footy.

The steep price increase in the digital pass was also disappointing (yes the overall product has improved though)

The coverage of the centrals-west game I watched was mediocre, no better than frogbox when I watch the cricket,and i dont have to pay for that
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:38 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:The coverage of the centrals-west game I watched was mediocre...

Any feedback that can be passed on to improve the coverage @Arry Gablett?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:38 pm

saintal wrote:$12-14 would be fair. Crowd numbers have been on the slide for a few years now, so give people an incentive to get back to the footy.

Despite being an avid blues supporter since I was about 4, I don't find myself wanting to go the SANFL. I'd rather go to my local ammo club, where it's free and the beers and food are cheap.

I liken the SANFL pricing to the SAJC. Both should be free.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:56 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Arry Gablett wrote:The coverage of the centrals-west game I watched was mediocre...

Can we get closer to the overall action, I understand its one camera but can the shot be tighter to get a better feel for the game, the game I watched south versus central was much easier to watch as you felt a lot closer to what was happening
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:34 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Can we get closer to the overall action, I understand its one camera but can the shot be tighter to get a better feel for the game, the game I watched south versus central was much easier to watch as you felt a lot closer to what was happening

The "tightness" of the shot has forever been regular feedback provided on here and via other means regarding the coverage.

As I've explained in the past, the filming of the games was always for the sole purpose of coaching and the coaches request this wider pan shot.

The commentary and streaming service was an after-service and the wider shot, to see the players positioning outside of the contest, remain in shot.

Positioning of the camera is fixed at every ground and of course at Elizabeth the "wide-pan" feel will be due to be so far back on the grandstand and at the biggest oval in the league.

Positioning at Noarlunga (and temporarily at Unley) is much closer to ground level from an elevation perspective, not at the very back of a large grandstand and not needing to cover a larger oval.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:02 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I liken the SANFL pricing to the SAJC. Both should be free.

Seriously? And what the f#ck do you think would happen?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:04 pm

That then begs the question why are they charging a fee for people to watch when it’s by their own admission not made for tv coverage. Especially given many other sports provide a stream for free and provide a much better quality.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dogs64 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 pm

DOC wrote:You only have to attend 4 games to be in front.

I thought it was a no brainer.

Yes agreed, If they allow me to update my membership $80, to home match and membership $145, the $65 extra would be paid for in 4 games.

I don't mind the coverage, not perfect but pretty good. I thought the commentary on the weekend was also good, particularly given the many new players. I hope some of the money goes back to the clubs as it used to.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby saintal » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:39 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

It was the opposite for the game at Alberton, felt a little too tight for my liking and it was difficult to get a broader perspective of the play. Wasn't drastic, but took a bit to get used to.

Overall through have enjoyed the 'product' on offer through the opening few weeks, both South games featuring CK's commentary and passion for the league. Still think it's overpriced when compared to prior seasons, but when you have two young kids and cant really get to games it fills the void well
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:42 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Despite being an avid blues supporter since I was about 4, I don't find myself wanting to go the SANFL. I'd rather go to my local ammo club, where it's free and the beers and food are cheap.

Avid is the wrong word.

How many buy a Membership if it's free entry?

The League would be dead within a year. Every year people bang on about admission prices. If the cost is lowered there is no incentive to get a Membership. No Memberships = No clubs.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:17 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Avid is the wrong word.

How many buy a Membership if it's free entry?

The League would be dead within a year. Every year people bang on about admission prices. If the cost is lowered there is no incentive to get a Membership. No Memberships = No clubs.

You're tying memberships with entry to the gate. Membership doesn't need to be about getting into games necessarily. The model could be changed to counter that aspect. As it is, people will turn away in their droves and the league will die.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby RB » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:21 pm

I agree that adult single ticket prices have gotten too high. But the league would be dead within two years if they make it free.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Doddy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:14 pm

Hard to know how price elastic a SANFL game is. How many more would go if it was $10 ? To cover the $9 lost from non-members who would have gone anyway, you'd need to almost double attendance. At $15, you'd need about 25% more attendance to break even.

I do think they need to arrest the decline though - have a look around when you are at the footy today, 75% of the crowd are over 40, maybe even 50.

So my thoughts would be for the SANFL to sacrifice a season to lower revenues (maybe AFL grants to help out), smash some advertising (I thought the tribe approach wasn't terrible) and run a season at $10 attendance. Maybe that will be enough grow the adult childless base. Push some free adult tickets via kids teams/schools if they bring a couple of kids. Another campaign targeted at Mums, they often decide family activities, or may see it as an opportunity to get Dads out with the kids. If it's a good day out, then $10 next week might not be an issue, get the habit to stick. Make them register to use the free tickets, so the clubs can send 'em reminders on Thursdays for every game after. I also think for these families we need to overcome the idea that it's a whole lost day of the weekend to go to the footy - label it as a "100 minute contest for honours" or "2 hours to see who's best" or whatever.

Then ramp up pricing slowly over coming years, but could be 3 or 4 before its back at 19/20. If you've grown the base, you will recover that revenue gap.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Pseudo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:48 am

I'm hearing general admission is being jacked up again. $20 to get your arse through the turnstile next year. It was only $14 half a decade ago.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:54 am

Pseudo wrote:I'm hearing general admission is being jacked up again. $20 to get your arse through the turnstile next year. It was only $14 half a decade ago.

Jesus christ......

Next to no chance i will go to any games this year. Between my own sporting commitments which cost a ton load less and $20 to get into an SANFL plus the petrol price to drive down from up north its almost $50 before i enter the gate. Then i get the privilege of paying what $8-9 a beer and eat crap food.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:08 am

Pseudo wrote:I'm hearing general admission is being jacked up again. $20 to get your arse through the turnstile next year. It was only $14 half a decade ago.

Will be free for crowies and ports AFL members.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:25 am

Would be staggered if that was true :shock:

Can't charge $20, absolutely no way.

Would be hammering in the second last nail to the coffin if true!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL