R13 Central v South

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R13 Central v South

Postby cennals05 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:27 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I have watched the replay of that deliberate free kick. When first giving the free kick the umpire signals for deliberate. Then when Centrals are arguing on the mark, he changes it to a throw signal. The thing is the umpire is behind him, so I’m not sure how he could tell it was a throw. I couldn’t tell if it was or not watching it and the camera angle is pretty much what the umpire sees as well. So either the umpire realised he made a mistake and changed his decision or he guessed.

What time of game was it?

About 1:51:15 in on SANFLnow.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby another grub » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:02 pm

shocking decision
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 402 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:35 pm

We're getting there, slowly but surely we're heading in the right direction.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:10 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I have watched the replay of that deliberate free kick. When first giving the free kick the umpire signals for deliberate. Then when Centrals are arguing on the mark, he changes it to a throw signal. The thing is the umpire is behind him, so I’m not sure how he could tell it was a throw. I couldn’t tell if it was or not watching it and the camera angle is pretty much what the umpire sees as well. So either the umpire realised he made a mistake and changed his decision or he guessed.

The goal umpire, who would have been front and square to the throw, would have communicated this to the field umpire.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Hazydog » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:23 pm

Doesn’t explain why the ump originally signalled for deliberate, which is what Doug also thought in your call Phil..?

I reckon he had a bob eachway!
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Backman » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:44 pm

I know you make your own luck in football, but South were without midfielders Gibbs and Brownless, then lost further class on ballers in O'Neill and Davis
It makes it tough to run out four quarters losing that quality, and with Rose also a late withdrawal and Garthwaite not getting up
There has been criticism of Souths recruiting but Clavarino (nearly recruit of the year imo), Davis (been real good), Kantilla (showed plenty till injured), Menzie (Great till MSD), Garthwaite (adds height), Gunther (looks promising), Brownless (injured all year) you would have to say recruiting was very good
Also reserves basically a new team of kids developing and seem to be from zone, other country areas and young interstaters eg Cresswell
Losing the 18 mature age players from last year was always going to be a big ask
Always an optimist but it would be great to see this group have another crack next year, add a couple more and a slice of luck (surely due for some luck)
The players seem to be playing their hearts out for the jumper
Backman
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Backman » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:50 pm

To my last post I add well played Centrals, who seem to be developing nicely without big name recruits
Was always going to be a 1 to 10 either way, and this time Centrals got up - well played
Backman
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:58 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

The goal umpire, who would have been front and square to the throw, would have communicated this to the field umpire.

Pretty sure goal umpires can’t make field umpire decisions and in this case at no stage do the goal and field umpire speak with one another. The goal umpire signals a behind before the field umpire calls it deliberate.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:30 pm

Anyone on here made a mistake before?

We're all human, we all make them.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:31 pm

Backman wrote:I know you make your own luck in football, but South were without midfielders Gibbs and Brownless, then lost further class on ballers in O'Neill and Davis
It makes it tough to run out four quarters losing that quality, and with Rose also a late withdrawal and Garthwaite not getting up
There has been criticism of Souths recruiting but Clavarino (nearly recruit of the year imo), Davis (been real good), Kantilla (showed plenty till injured), Menzie (Great till MSD), Garthwaite (adds height), Gunther (looks promising), Brownless (injured all year) you would have to say recruiting was very good
Also reserves basically a new team of kids developing and seem to be from zone, other country areas and young interstaters eg Cresswell
Losing the 18 mature age players from last year was always going to be a big ask
Always an optimist but it would be great to see this group have another crack next year, add a couple more and a slice of luck (surely due for some luck)

South would have probably had the worst run of injuries across the League this year, of all clubs.

Couldn't have happened at a more worse time with their depth not the same as the last 3-4 years.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby saintal » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:06 pm

Backman wrote:I know you make your own luck in football, but South were without midfielders Gibbs and Brownless, then lost further class on ballers in O'Neill and Davis

Pretty fair assessment Backman.

Naturally on the back of consecutive prelim appearances there was an air of optimism about this season, but replacing half the 22 that took the field that night v Glenelg wasn't going to be a smooth process. Injuries have taken their toll as the season has worn on, as has a lack of depth.

The forward line has produced just 65 ppg (or 59 ppg since round 3) which obviously wont win many games. As others mentioned Menzie was a massive loss, while the likes of Wilkinson and Fitt (injured for most of the season) haven't offered much as small forwards.

Of the established players who have been regulars in recent seasons, you'd only say Haines, Summerton and to some extent Heaslip have matched previous year's output. Possibly Sampson also, although he's been up and down at times.

It's been a season of narrow finishes, with 8 of 12 games decided by 12 points or less. South are 4-4 in those matches.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Dogs64 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:57 am

cennals05 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Pretty sure goal umpires can’t make field umpire decisions and in this case at no stage do the goal and field umpire speak with one another. The goal umpire signals a behind before the field umpire calls it deliberate.

Correct, the field umpire called it instantly did not communicate it with the goal umpire who was signaling a point.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby southee » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:15 pm

I actually think our back line and too an extent our mid field have been pretty solid (even with the injuries).

Our forward line is the issue. It has not worked all year.

Gaithwaite was recruited from Richmond to reinvent himself as a key forward (from previously playing as a defender at Richmond).
Personally, I feel this experiment has not worked successfully.
He plays better in defence but we don’t play him down there.

Overall doesn’t kick goals (maybe 1 a game) as he seems to be playing up the ground.

Freitag is still young and learning. Has potential but needs to present better.

Our small forwards have been not utilised well. All the talk of Menzie loss … he kicked 10 goals on first 2 games but honestly opposition shut him down from there. Didn’t do a lot after that.

As posted, Summo, Haines, Clavorino and Heaslip probably our best for the year. Not many mates unfortunately.

I think the side looks good on paper but it just hasn’t happened this year.

Not much depth either.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:23 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Pretty sure goal umpires can’t make field umpire decisions and in this case at no stage do the goal and field umpire speak with one another. The goal umpire signals a behind before the field umpire calls it deliberate.

Correct, the field umpire called it instantly did not communicate it with the goal umpire who was signaling a point.

Goal umpire didnt signal a behind they only signalled that it had been touched over the line. The flag can only signal a behind once the fieldie calls all clear.

Technically it appears the free kick is there whether it was major and obvious is a subject for the review.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL