SANFL Crows finals player elegibity

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Crows finals player elegibity

Postby whybother » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:20 am

If they do win the flag, there won't be too many players around for the 10 year premiership reunion
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:37 am

I cant see them prioritising a SANFL flag over their 2023 AFL season, for any <25's who are fully fit they will play on, but any with niggles or surgery they will be put on ice.

If they finish top then they will be playing to at least 3 weeks after the AFL side has finished, had their Mad Monday and sent on leave, under the AFLPA agreement the players that remain playing SANFL will be late back to preseason which again is another factor.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:52 am

matt35 wrote:Definitely their best chance of winning one and they are keen to do it. I didn't hear the interview, but on another forum it was mentioned that Godden said that finals qualification was influencing selection. Ad to that that some players will be playing to stay on the list. I remember people here in 2019 saying they would crash out in straight sets with their AFL side not playing finals, but Norwood would remember well that didn't happen. No certainties at all, but contenders.

That answers the question how does McHenry get a game each week.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby another grub » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:56 am

Can anyone copy and paste the story from SANFL Insider - advertiser re: Raven players qualified?

TIA
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 403 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:13 pm

another grub wrote:Can anyone copy and paste the story from SANFL Insider - advertiser re: Raven players qualified?

TIA
Currently only 15 qualified. If Himmelberg plays SANFL this week it’s 16.

The Crows that have already qualified for SANFL finals are: Turner, Josh Worrell, James Borlase, Tariek Newchurch, Fisher McAsey, Kieran Strachan, Toby Nankervis, Ben Davis, Zac Taylor, Billy Frampton, Luke Pedlar, Brayden Cook, Lachlan Gollant, Lachlan Sholl and the injured McPherson.

With McPherson being injured that would currently mean 14 available and then maybe a couple of others set to be delisted/traded pull out.
Glenelg can also demand Turner plays for them or sits out if they meet each other in finals
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby another grub » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:15 pm

Who are the top up players likely to play?

And what standard are they?
another grub
Coach

Postby matt35 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:36 pm

Himmelberg was dropped after a half decent performance against West Coast; just happened he needed to play the last two SANFL games to qualify. They want to give this a red hot go.

Non AFL listed players will of course include captain Matthew Wright. I think someone on the first page of the thread posted a possible line up for the Crows in finals. Top ups will include Louis Sharrad, who played his 100th SANFL game a few weeks ago, Chris Hall, Jacob Templeton, Jay Boyle who has had a very solid season, and former Centrals player Isaya McKenzie. They would need to keep all their listed players injury free, but if they are able to do that, they will be a premiership contender.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Aerie » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:59 pm

Do Glenelg have the option to take Turner back for Finals?

He's nowhere near playing AFL for Adelaide. I think Glenelg should take him back.

Without Matt Crouch or any real experienced AFL players in the midfield, I don't think the Crows will go all the way. That is where Turner becomes really important for them.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:07 pm

Aerie wrote:Do Glenelg have the option to take Turner back for Finals?

He's nowhere near playing AFL for Adelaide. I think Glenelg should take him back.

Without Matt Crouch or any real experienced AFL players in the midfield, I don't think the Crows will go all the way. That is where Turner becomes really important for them.

Turner will play for Adelaide in the finals.

Glenelg have the power to not allow him to play any final if the two teams meet. Although they let him play against them in the minor round, have heard on good authority they will not allow him to do the same in finals.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:09 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Glenelg have the power to not allow him to play any final if the two teams meet. Although they let him play against them in the minor round, have heard on good authority they will not allow him to do the same in finals.
I believe he could end up playing finals for two clubs if the cards fall the right way
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby southernbulldog » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:12 pm

If that happens just confirms what an absolute farce it is
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:16 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

I believe he could end up playing finals for two clubs if the cards fall the right way

I don’t believe that to be the case, he will be contracted to Crows next year, no longer a Glenelg player. No different to Hosie missing couple of years ago when picked by Kangaroos.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:22 am

Jim05 wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

that wont happen, he will play with Adelaide until they get knocked out of finals
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:42 am

Whilst the Mid Season draft "sucks d!cks" (Hi @Doc) when it comes to the taking of league footballers from SANFL, WAFL and VFL non-aligned clubs.

The reality is Brett Turner is an Adelaide Football Club player and him doing his best and playing where has his best chance of staying on a list is what should be his prime consideration.

I dont expect him to play for Glenelg again in 2022.

To me the root cause issue is not finals availability but the mid season draft itself and the drafting of league footballers
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:02 am

am Bays wrote:Whilst the Mid Season draft "sucks d!cks" (Hi @Doc) when it comes to the taking of league footballers from SANFL, WAFL and VFL non-aligned clubs.

The reality is Brett Turner is an Adelaide Football Club player and him doing his best and playing where has his best chance of staying on a list is what should be his prime consideration.

I dont expect him to play for Glenelg again in 2022.

To me the root cause issue is not finals availability but the mid season draft itself and the drafting of league footballers

100% sadly though at a guess I would say Turner would happily miss a flag with Glenelg if it means he stays on an AFL list next year.

I would think the majority of SANFL footballers love the mid year draft.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:18 pm

Only way Turner plays for Glenelg this year is if Crows delist him next week, but as they took him when injured you can only presume they are going to hold him for at least 18 months
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby UK Fan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:44 am

fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby another grub » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 am

Fair side, lets hope a few pull out*

*Like me last night on Hanson Rd ;)
another grub
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:56 pm

News reporting that Turner will be delisted at the Crows, which means he returns to Glenelg for the finals series.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby goddy11 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:46 pm

Surely they will try to get Matt Crouch eligible. I think he has played 8 SANFL matches.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL