Round 16 North vs Eagles

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 16 North vs Eagles

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:
DOC wrote:He had 11 disposals, 32 hit outs, 4 tackles and 8 clearances.

There's been worse.

Nup, never been worse.
Had to be there. He was awful and a waste of space.
Was so bad we took our ruckman out of the middle. Seb literally runs away from contests, never seen a worse ruckman
If the Eagles win the flag this year or the last year he was there (2018) I'll concede you're right.

This is really harsh. Thought Seb was reasonable today. At the very least far from our worst player today (and there were plenty of them).

Our team is finally getting exposed. All season we've been battling away but since the bye the team has gone to shite - we're too short, too slow, no depth to cover injuries, no avenues for goal (besides Menzel), skills appalling. Obviously we've come up against 4-5 pretty good teams (like today) who've been building pretty good squads. But I can't see us winning another game for the rest of the season. I'll take the two premierships in place of missing the finals this year. But hoping the the squad has an overhaul over summer and the eags launch into 2023!

For mine, the Premiership is wide open and can't split between North, Crows, Glenelg and Norwood.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:47 pm

Wedgie wrote:

There's been worse.

Nup, never been worse.
Was so bad we took our ruckman out of the middle. Seb literally runs away from contests, never seen a worse ruckman
If the Eagles win the flag this year or the last year he was there (2018) I'll concede you're right.

This is really harsh. Thought Seb was reasonable today. At the very least far from our worst player (and there were plenty of them).

Our team is finally getting exposed on a weekly basis - it's no longer an isolated match but a regular occurrence. All season we've been battling away hanging on by a thread but since the bye the team has gone to regular shite - we're too short, too slow, no depth to cover injuries, no avenues for goal (besides Menzel), skills appalling. Obviously we've come up against 4-5 pretty good teams (like today) who've been building good squads. But I can't see us winning another game for the rest of the season. I'll take the two premierships in place of missing the finals this year. But hoping the the squad has an overhaul over summer and the eags launch into 2023!

For mine, the Premiership is wide open and can't split between North, Crows, Glenelg and Norwood.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:51 pm

Nup, he's cost you the threepeat. Most awful SANFL footballers of all time, you guys would have won by 20 goals today if it wasn't for him.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Spargo » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:

There's been worse.

Nup, never been worse.

32 hit outs? He’s hardly running away from contests.
Good president’s lunch?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:22 pm

Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

There's been worse.

Nup, never been worse.

32 hit outs? He’s hardly running away from contests.
Good president’s lunch?

Disregard mate, just a joke some of us have going.
Ironically the only presidents lunch I did this year was at the last Eagles game at Woodville! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:58 pm

am Bays wrote:Norths run from behind is impressive.

However at times the pressure from the Eagles forwards has been negligible

Yes this has been an issue all year after losing Poole and Stengle, but even more so after losing Zane Williams in the AFL mid-season draft.

North are one of the better teams for running hard and spreading as soon as they see a teammate get the ball, so their transition from defence to attack was far too easy too often today.

It feels like we've been trying bigger body midfielders in the forward line like resting Lonergan down there in recent weeks, CEY today and Hardie, but I'd like to see something different like Zac Buck in the forward line to provide that extra pressure.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:47 am

Wedgie wrote:Almonds quit the Eagles. :shock:

Apparently 3 weeks ago he asked to take some personal leave for a few weeks and said he wouldn't be back next year, so no surprise that he has quit now. Supposedly hasn't been the easiest player to manage this year so I don't think anyone is too unhappy in that respect.

Having said that, if it is retirement from the SANFL, it would have been good to acknowledge him somehow at today's game ... 200+ games and premiership player at both clubs.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:09 am

No way was Seb the worst yesterday for the Eagles but he is arguably symptomatic of the eagles plight ATM

The number of times he tried to do the cute by tapping or knocking the ball to a team-mate rather than doing the basic by taking it and giving with the hands.

Sheedy IMO should be having a sit down with CEY and saying mate, "Do you want to be here?" For a bloke allegedly wanting to get back to AFL level, he stank.

The Eagles last year were so good in doing the right/hard/percentage play at the right time to assist a team mate and win the contest that isn't evident this year. It pains me but their team first- will to win performance in the GF was the best I'd seen since Port in 1994.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby goddy11 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:19 am

am Bays wrote:No way was Seb the worst yesterday for the Eagles but he is arguably symptomatic of the eagles plight ATM

The number of times he tried to do the cute by tapping or knocking the ball to a team-mate rather than doing the basic by taking it and giving with the hands.

Sheedy IMO should be having a sit down with CEY and saying mate, "Do you want to be here?" For a bloke allegedly wanting to get back to AFL level, he stank.

The Eagles last year were so good in doing the right/hard/percentage play at the right time to assist a team mate and win the contest that isn't evident this year. It pains me but their team first- will to win performance in the GF was the best I'd seen since Port in 1994.

Your probably correct.
BTW Port in 1994 was a shocker by us and I still am troubled by it. We beat them by 73 points 2 weeks earlier and controlled the game 1/2 way through the second 1/4.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby wedgetail » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:21 am

It's been a glorious, exhilarating and momentous ride for the last 2 seasons but it looks like it might be coming to an end this season. Eags would have to win 3 of the last 3 games to make it and on their form since the bye, it doesn't look promising.
NA too quick and skilful yesterday and our lack of personnel has been exposed after 2 years of AFL recruiting and retirements.

Interesting how some bag Redden. Triple premiership player, a major contributor in the past 2, and widely considered as one of the best ruckmen in the comp in the past couple of years. Skill level elite for a big man. This year certainly hasn't been his best and maybe the curtain is coming down on a significant career at the end of the season. A major contributor to the strong culture and performance at the Eagles.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:38 am

Reality bites! The Eagles are just not up to the standard of the likes of North and Glenelg and Norwood have flown past too. I suspect the Crows will also be too strong next game, but don’t think they’ll be able to match those three teams come finals and squad restrictions.

The week off couldn’t have come sooner. I don’t think we’ve recovered since that slog of a game against South at Woodville. We’ve had the bye, easily beaten by Central, have beaten lowly West and Port and then easily beaten by Glenelg and North when the season was on the line.

There is still a carrot being dangled. 5th position is up for grabs and it might even be South that can grab it. The Eagles premiership streak will be over come it’s next loss. We can only hope that defeat isn’t given up as easily as it has been the past fortnight.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby stampy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:02 am

goddy11 wrote:
am Bays wrote:No way was Seb the worst yesterday for the Eagles but he is arguably symptomatic of the eagles plight ATM

Your probably correct.
BTW Port in 1994 was a shocker by us and I still am troubled by it. We beat them by 73 points 2 weeks earlier and controlled the game 1/2 way through the second 1/4.

6 goals to zip then the magots gifted port 2 goals in the last couple of minutes of the first qtr didnt help either
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL