Round 17 WWT V Ravens

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 17 WWT V Ravens

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:10 pm

Aerie wrote:Not up to it this year. Can not help training on that bog of an oval every week. We looked heavy legged ever since the South game. A host of premiership players made critical mistakes in the 3rd quarter when we needed everything to go our way. I thought Allmond played his best game for us since returning, Goldsworthy and Toumpas tried hard all day and at least attempted to use the ball well. Studham looks promising in defence. Guilhaus was competitive in ruck. Hardie and Comma tried hard through half forward.

Our better players, despite getting lots of the ball either didn’t use it well or weren’t up for the fight when it mattered and Menzel hasn’t got near it for 3 weeks, clearly playing through injury. We haven’t been able to replace the steel and experience of Giuffreda and Poole or the class of Hayes, Tsitas or Stengle. We haven’t had the luxury of a big bodied Von Bertouch as depth. When we’ve managed to have our best line up on paper on the field, we were smashed first by Central and then Glenelg.

All the grades look down this year after a brilliant couple of years. You can’t be up forever. Perhaps time for Sheedy to have a look at a couple more players and give an extended break to a few guys who look spent. It’s been a tough year! Now, what to do in September?

Unfortunately we don't even look mentally plugged in anymore. Interesting comment about the oval. I agree it's a disgrace (how did it get like that anyway when no other ovals are in that condition???) and I wonder whether it might limit where certain training drills can be performed or, as you say, giving the players heavy legs through the week training on that. Ground aside, time has caught up with many of our senior players. I hope that players like Thompson and Redden, if they are thinking about retiring, make a call before the season ends so a send off can be given. Thompson is playing great footy and remains more than capable to go around again so fingers crossed he does because we will sure need him!

I like the idea of giving some new players a go but not sure there is anyone knocking the door down in the reserves and demanding to be picked who will be around the club next season . Philipou and D'Aloia should be blooded but they will go in the top 15 of the AFL draft so won't be around next season.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby DOC » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:10 am

Almond played? Did I read he had quit?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 am

DOC wrote:Almond played? Did I read he had quit?

Change of mind I assume. :?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:30 am

Wedgie wrote:

So after he moved and then came back and then quit he changed his mind?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:36 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

So after he moved and then came back and then quit he changed his mind?

He's a different cat. :?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL