retirements and upcoming signings

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:53 pm

JK wrote:Question for the Dogs fans, during the Golden period, did most/many/all recruits live out North?

Nope.......to start with not many blokes were from our 'metro zone'

We had a very 'infamous' house in Prospect that many of the younger 18-21 up and comers who were at uni use to live in. Many of the Barossa Uni students also used to rent close to the city.

Most of the interstate recruits lived closer to the city and then we had a bunch of Barossa lads who were scattered throughout the Barossa in particular Nurioopta and Tanunda being a very solid breeding ground.

Appreciate though that times were a bit different, petrol prices and employment situations. Back then we seemed to have a lot of school teachers of which many had jobs in school north of the city (immediately thinking Slade, Healy, Steinberner, Cochrane, Thomas) who uni students, sports power and aquadome were big employers which saw players work and then go to training straight after so their days were full ‘down north’. At least one gun recruit always seemed to have a job with the club like Bello, Goodrem.

If I’ve read the cdfc premiership players page right 8 of our 62 premiership players came from the metro zone. 18 from the country zone and then the rest from elsewhere. Happy to be corrected though as I’m sure I’ve made a mistake or two.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:30 pm

whufc wrote:I agree he sounds like a good appointment.

If the only issue people don't want to live Elizabeth his in for a tough gig unless he can build a beach in Elizabeth :lol:

If the living and training distance is the main issue for recruits I don't see how we can avoid trying some kind of training format where one session a week is held in more of a city location or maybe one night a week (Monday being the lightest) they hold a city/country session albeit there will be challenges with trainers/coaches etc. Are they still required to do Sunday rehab sessions at the club.....could players be trusted to do rehab themselves on that day saving them a trip back to the beff.

If we cant ever rely on getting good quality recruits coz of location we are in some strife given its been documented on here by many that we face a heap of challenges with our metro region due to the demographic.

Just think the club really needs to think outside the square......

Maybe we need to recruit more like the Combe boys who were travelling from Crystal Brook to Prospect 3 times a week last season.

Maybe Edwards can find that magic key which has seen North be able to find talented country boys Combe x2, Lachie Wilsdon, Sam McInerney, (Matt Longbottom & Charlie Dinning who will be top 3 in the ressies B&F and look league prospects) 3 of them are not even from Norths country zone......i hope we aren't still looking in country NSW for new talent.

I am excited by hopefully the change Edwards and Ross bring.......looking forward to this off season.

I was also thinking about the possibility of a city location for training but thought it would work adversely on our players from the Barossa - a vital area for us. With petrol prices as they are, our ressies players who travel are probably ending up paying more to play than they receive in match payments. Could X-Convenience offer some sort of deal to our players that would bring transport costs down? This may only have a small impact but every cent helps.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:34 pm

If the only issue people don't want to live Elizabeth his in for a tough gig unless he can build a beach in Elizabeth :lol:

If the living and training distance is the main issue for recruits I don't see how we can avoid trying some kind of training format where one session a week is held in more of a city location or maybe one night a week (Monday being the lightest) they hold a city/country session albeit there will be challenges with trainers/coaches etc. Are they still required to do Sunday rehab sessions at the club.....could players be trusted to do rehab themselves on that day saving them a trip back to the beff.

If we cant ever rely on getting good quality recruits coz of location we are in some strife given its been documented on here by many that we face a heap of challenges with our metro region due to the demographic.

Maybe we need to recruit more like the Combe boys who were travelling from Crystal Brook to Prospect 3 times a week last season.

Maybe Edwards can find that magic key which has seen North be able to find talented country boys Combe x2, Lachie Wilsdon, Sam McInerney, (Matt Longbottom & Charlie Dinning who will be top 3 in the ressies B&F and look league prospects) 3 of them are not even from Norths country zone......i hope we aren't still looking in country NSW for new talent.

I am excited by hopefully the change Edwards and Ross bring.......looking forward to this off season.

Do North's country recruits (other than the Combes) travel down each week, or do they end up living in the Adelaide area? If they do live in Adelaide, then that wouldn't work for us; living in Adelaide and travelling to Prospect is a lot easier than living in Adelaide and travelling to Elizabeth.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:42 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Do North's country recruits (other than the Combes) travel down each week, or do they end up living in the Adelaide area? If they do live in Adelaide, then that wouldn't work for us; living in Adelaide and travelling to Prospect is a lot easier than living in Adelaide and travelling to Elizabeth.

Our players in the past lived in and around Prospect, not far to travel back then. Seems too hard these days.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:11 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

I was also thinking about the possibility of a city location for training but thought it would work adversely on our players from the Barossa - a vital area for us. With petrol prices as they are, our ressies players who travel are probably ending up paying more to play than they receive in match payments. Could X-Convenience offer some sort of deal to our players that would bring transport costs down? This may only have a small impact but every cent helps.

Like your thinking……

I know it’s not ideal but once a week could you do a country session for the Barossa guys and a city session for the city guys. Maybe a Monday the least important training. At country level football this is pretty common and doesn’t seem to be the difference between winning a flag or not, I know it would require a coach and a trainer to be across each site but just trying to think outside the square a bit especially if we can’t get guns out of our metro zone and the talent doesn’t seem to be as strong through the Barossa these days

My gut feel however is that previous management had lost their touch and had got stale. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see all of sudden this off season a few interstate recruits find the distance and travel not to bad.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:59 pm

Anyhow, enough of this on this thread.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Hazydog » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 pm

Jez McClennan cut by the Suns…..
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Keefy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:09 pm

Kobe Mutch Flys to Flinders University Stadium

The Panthers are delighted to welcome former Eagle and Bomber Kobe Mutch to Noarlunga in 2023. 

The 24-year old midfielder, who was part of the Eagles 2021 Premiership side, says he is excited to join the Panthers and be under the tutelage of Jarrad Wright. 

"I’m excited to learn and improve my game under Jarrad, he has great knowledge of the game." 

"I'm looking forward to meet the playing group, coaching staff and support staff"

When asked about why Mutch chose the Panthers, he said that there were two key factors in his decision. 

"The first one is my living & work commitments and the second being the age demographic of the list and the exciting brand of footy that I’ve seen in the past 2 years."

- Kobe Mutch

Mutch joined the Eagles in 2021 from Essendon where he was drafted with pick 42 of the 2016 draft, where he would play 4 games. 

The 188cm mid played 31 games for the Eagles in 2021 and 2022, kicking 10 goals and averaging 22 disposals in 2022. 

"We're really excited to have Kobe join us, he is one of the top midfielders in the SANFL and it's going to be a handy addition to our side" said Senior Coach Jarrad Wright. 

"Kobe will add some strength on the inside and class on outside" 

"He is a terrific person and will be a perfect fit with our brand both on and off the field."

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:14 pm

Hazydog wrote:Jez McClennan cut by the Suns…..

Yep, no doubt Central will be after him.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Big Phil » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:32 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:

Would be kind of a like-for-like for Montgomerie, who is rumoured to have some interest from Port Adelaide.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:51 pm

Big Phil wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Would be kind of a like-for-like for Montgomerie, who is rumoured to have some interest from Port Adelaide.

Great :roll:
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby northerner » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:03 am

Jezz would be very welcome.

Dogs will have trouble holding the Fort next season.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:18 am

northerner wrote:Jezz would be very welcome.

Agreed, plus there is very little chance we will see Darcy back next season. Brisbane would be crazy to delist him after his performance against Big Max.

Re Rhett, I will hate seeing him go if he does, but at the same time he thoroughly deserves an opportunity at the higher level and wish him all the best should he receive it.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:53 am

northerner wrote:Jezz would be very welcome.

I'm hearing the same rumour.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Ronnie » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:52 pm

Abe Davis has left Sturt. Probably heading to West Adelaide if he decides SANFL is still worth the effort.
A different character, capable of being very damaging and did turn games. Not sure his best footy is in front of him but all the best.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby blueandwhite » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Ronnie wrote:Abe Davis has left Sturt. Probably heading to West Adelaide if he decides SANFL is still worth the effort.
A different character, capable of being very damaging and did turn games. Not sure his best footy is in front of him but all the best.

:shock: :shock: :shock: 8)
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby southee » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:31 pm

Ronnie wrote:Abe Davis has left Sturt. Probably heading to West Adelaide if he decides SANFL is still worth the effort.

How surprising !!!!!! :roll:

3rd SANFL club........he's going for the trifecta !!!!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:06 am

At Glenelg, Andrew Bradley & Michael Virgin have retired whilst Nic Minchin has returned to Victoria.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:17 am

southee wrote:

How surprising !!!!!! :roll:

3rd SANFL club........he's going for the trifecta !!!!

Good player, just don't get on a scooter with him.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:09 pm

blueandwhite wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: 8)

I think he can still contribute well... wouldn't have minded him coming to the Ponderosa tbh
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL