2022 League Grand Final - North v Norwood (Sun 18/9 @ 3pm)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2022 League Grand Final - North v Norwood (Sun 18/9 @ 3p

Postby Big Phil » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Aerie wrote:Comparing the Grand Final crowds…

SANFL - Norwood def North @ Adelaide Oval
Crowd: 27,479

WAFL - West Perth def Claremont @ Leederville Oval
Crowd: 16,791

VFL: Casey def Southport @ IKON Park
Crowd : 4,500

Imagine 27,479 crammed into a suburban ground :roll:
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 pm

Big Phil wrote:

I don’t think anyone’s advocating the GF to not be played at Adelaide Oval. There is merit however to playing the lead up finals at suburban grounds, the crowd no’s certainly back that up.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby nwdfanparade » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:44 pm

Big Phil wrote:

Highest attendance at a suburban oval is 24,000 at Unley oval against Norwood in 1924. However with the modifications to Unley oval you couldn't get anywhere tear that nowadays.

Oval capacity and highest attendance and opposing team) in brackets are as follows

Elizabeth oval 18,000 (26,000 PA)
Woodville oval 15,000 (11,026 PA)
Norwood oval 22,000 (20,280 PA)
Glenelg oval 14,000 (17,171) Sturt)
Unley 10,000* (24,000 Norwood) * max attendance probably with current spectator areas)
Noarlunga oval 12,000 (10,000 Glenelg)
Richmond oval 16,500 (15,742 Glenelg)
Alberton oval 15,000 (22,738 Norwood)
Thebarton oval 15,000 (20,832 Norwood)
Prospect oval 20,000 )19,137 PA)

With current OH&S restrictions, its unlikely that there will be attendances above the capacity of ovals.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 148 times

Postby stampy » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:16 pm

when did port and central have 26k? rkn that should be 16k
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby nwdfanparade » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:53 pm

stampy wrote:when did port and central have 26k? rkn that should be 16k

16k is Correct. 26k was my typo :oops:
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 148 times

Postby StrayDog » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:40 am

am Bays wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:I'd like one of those hats. :D

Imagine if the Bays did that back in the day.

regards,

REB

:lol: :lol:

One of my great regrets in life is not grabbing a couple of (deleted year) "show no Mercy" premiership t-shirts with our named team on the back from a box in a back room at the Glenelg FC in about 1995....

So, any Sturt folk out there still have their 2002 premiership "No More Doggy Style" tees? 8)
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby Robedog » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:12 am

You'd have to imagine Norwood will need all of their 22,000 capacity if they are holding 2 AFL games there next April. Should be very interesting times given the likely submission of a Tasmanian entry into the AFL makingit a 19 team competition.
Still enjoying the SANFL grand final win and still can't fathom that Norwood weren't really given much of a chance of any success earlier in the season, they weren't that bad.
Robedog
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby Aerie » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:57 pm

Robedog wrote:You'd have to imagine Norwood will need all of their 22,000 capacity if they are holding 2 AFL games there next April. Should be very interesting times given the likely submission of a Tasmanian entry into the AFL makingit a 19 team competition.
Still enjoying the SANFL grand final win and still can't fathom that Norwood weren't really given much of a chance of any success earlier in the season, they weren't that bad.

It will be interesting. Does a GWS vs St Kilda game at The Parade attract more people than a Norwood vs Sturt game at the same venue?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby knowledge » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:27 pm

Aerie wrote:
Robedog wrote:You'd have to imagine Norwood will need all of their 22,000 capacity if they are holding 2 AFL games there next April. Should be very interesting times given the likely submission of a Tasmanian entry into the AFL makingit a 19 team competition.

It will be interesting. Does a GWS vs St Kilda game at The Parade attract more people than a Norwood vs Sturt game at the same venue?

Not sure that Norwood are in the AFL's "good" books at the present in terms of ground allocation, though. Apparently they've blotted their copybook big time over Adelaide's AFLW home matches. Didn't go down too well at Docklands, I've heard. The 'suits' at AFL House have long memories. Be interesting to see where the suburban 'magic' round matches get played. :shock: :D
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby Robedog » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:59 pm

Aerie wrote:

It
will be interesting. Does a GWS vs St Kilda game at The Parade attract more people than a Norwood vs Sturt game at the same venue?

Great question too, not sure which teams play at Norwood. I think we all find out in about 2 weeks time.
Robedog
Mini-League

Postby Robedog » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:05 pm

knowledge wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Not sure that Norwood are in the AFL's "good" books at the present in terms of ground allocation, though. Apparently they've blotted their copybook big time over Adelaide's AFLW home matches. Didn't go down too well at Docklands, I've heard. The 'suits' at AFL House have long memories. Be interesting to see where the suburban 'magic' round matches get played. :shock: :D

I'd be very surprised if Norwood lose their opportunity because the oval copped a heap of wet weather but...
Norwood won a community based award which i believe impressed the AFL. Certainly will be very interesting seeing how this pans out over the next few months.
Robedog
Mini-League

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:04 pm

Yes they were

My understanding is there were some whispers in an ear about "it's not working - fix it or else"

Probably got the script from Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Robedog » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:11 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yes they were

My understanding is there were some whispers in an ear about "it's not working - fix it or else"

Our biggest loss was 28 points against Sturt at Unley and we more than matched every other team either home or away. Given the ammount of experience we lost in the off season I always thought we would take a few rounds to settle into a rhythm. Even after the qualifying thrashing to Adelaide i still refused to accept that we would go out in straight sets. That game seemed to give us the reset we needed. I'm certain that we were the only club to beat every other team in the competition, but each to their own. Rawlings has been a revelation to this club.
Robedog
Mini-League

Postby Spargo » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:16 pm

Good on you for posting after the event.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:43 pm

Robedog wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yes they were

Our biggest loss was 28 points against Sturt at Unley and we more than matched every other team either home or away. Given the ammount of experience we lost in the off season I always thought we would take a few rounds to settle into a rhythm. Even after the qualifying thrashing to Adelaide i still refused to accept that we would go out in straight sets. That game seemed to give us the reset we needed. I'm certain that we were the only club to beat every other team in the competition, but each to their own. Rawlings has been a revelation to this club.

We went from highly defensive to attacking football trying to kick goals
Highly defensive means defence at all cost

IIRC last year our 2 highest kick getters were on the half back line - kicking to each other helped those stats

I thought Rawlings was going to be good after the 1st half of 2021 until he changed to the good old proven Norwood (Bassett) model
That brought down Ben Warren as well

You win premierships by kicking goals not waxing in the backlines until you stuff it up and lose the ball
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Robedog » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:55 am

Spargo wrote:Good on you for posting after the event.

On this forum yes, but on other social media sites I mentioned halfway through the season that something special is brewing with this group. I'm saying that I'm still surprised that many,including Norwood fans, didn't rate Norwood.
Robedog
Mini-League

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL