2023 First Semi Final, Sturt v Central District

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2023 First Semi Final, Sturt v Central District

Postby mots02 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:02 pm

southee wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Half time, dogs by 3 pts. Entertaining game thus far.

P.S. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Aiden Grace is a dead ringer for '80s era Feargal Sharkey?

Aiden Grace has a good heart for the dogs …. Which is hard to find these days.

Stealing lyrics.... you little thief.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby northerner » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:09 pm

pmackk wrote:Take the win but why it take us till the last quarter to lift our level. Great response after last week.

I would respectfully suggest that it was more a case that the Dogs couldn't sustain their effort against a better quality unit.
Sturt clearly like to retain possession, and rarely kick to contests. The Dogs played man on man all over the ground and tried to make it about contested football. But the tickets were spent by three quarter and the mistakes crept in, whilst Sturts run and carry finally broke free.

The Dogs can be happy with their season, but the Finals games highlighted that some of the kids are not quite there yet, and also showed we are in need of 3 or 4 quality players.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 437 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Hazydog » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:43 pm

Spot on as ever Northerner… to make the 5 and steal a win a remarkable effort given how much experience we were operating on all across the ground.

The likes of Liddy, Dudley, Linke, McLennan, Whitelum, Larkins, Little, Munn and Kendall all thin on for SANFL league experience and all have plenty of upside moving forward.

Will be interesting to see if we can squeeze another season out of Schiller and Hosko and possibly recruit a couple more experienced, hardbodied types.

One thing for sure is that expectations across the board will be much higher next year.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby fish » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:58 pm

Well done Sturt hope you can get the job done next week and knock out the Crows reserves
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:21 pm

Pseudo wrote:Half time, dogs by 3 pts. Entertaining game thus far.

P.S. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Aiden Grace is a dead ringer for '80s era Feargal Sharkey?

I've always thought he looks like Joaquin Phoenix in 'Joker'.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:42 pm

Disappointing end to the season for us but the boys gave their all and to make finals
from where we have been in the last few seasons was great .
Well done to Sturt they were deserved winners and Good Luck to them for the remainder of the finals.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby rd » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:05 pm

rd wrote:The Band-Aid I've had on my wounds from the 1971 1st Semi Final has been ripped off and I'm reliving the pain all over again. All I need is for Robin Mulholland to run onto the oval wearing a CD guernsey again...

At 3/4 time my 1971 Band-Aid had come loose and was hanging on by a skin hair as I was all set to relive the 1971 1st Semi Final last quarter agony again - 52 years later. Tight first 3 quarters today - just like 1971. And then just like 1971 - the winning team scored 13 goals and the losing team scored 8 but this time round - after 52 years - the mighty Double Blues stormed home!! No Robin Mulholland running around to ruin us today, although the field umpires with a free kick count of 16-29 against Sturt gave it a good shot. The worst footy game of my primary school childhood has finally been avenged!
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby pmackk » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:13 pm

northerner wrote:
pmackk wrote:Take the win but why it take us till the last quarter to lift our level. Great response after last week.

I would respectfully suggest that it was more a case that the Dogs couldn't sustain their effort against a better quality unit.
Sturt clearly like to retain possession, and rarely kick to contests. The Dogs played man on man all over the ground and tried to make it about contested football. But the tickets were spent by three quarter and the mistakes crept in, whilst Sturts run and carry finally broke free.

The Dogs can be happy with their season, but the Finals games highlighted that some of the kids are not quite there yet, and also showed we are in need of 3 or 4 quality players.
dogs pushed us for 3 quarters honestly didn’t see that last quarter coming . For just making the 5 making the semi finals is a good effort.
pmackk
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 am

Spargo wrote:Centrals by 8 pts (and costing me a 2024 CDFC membership).

you're safe
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:47 am

I thought Linke was going to kick on and become a good league footballer after his 2021 Ressies finals series

Finally showing his promise after injuries

Dudley if he got fitter could go to the next level as his foot skills are elite

Good signs for the Dogs going forward the challenge will be getting the young core to hang around and resist tge lure of easy $$$ playing community footy
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:03 am

am Bays wrote:I thought Linke was going to kick on and become a good league footballer after his 2021 Ressies finals series

Good signs for the Dogs going forward the challenge will be getting the young core to hang around and resist tge lure of easy $$$ playing community footy

We need a genuine BIG ruckman,
would be great to get Hately, Montgomerie & T. Schiller back too.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:18 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
am Bays wrote:I thought Linke was going to kick on and become a good league footballer after his 2021 Ressies finals series

Montgomerie was cut by Essendon and I’d imagine Hately will be cut by the Crows so both should end up at Elizabeth unless they get decent offers from the country
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:35 am

He was best on in Rd 1 against us (28 touches 3 goals)

Plus he has the best taped shoulders in the SANFL
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Dogs64 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:09 am

My son reckons Joshua Hone punched Billy Iles in the head behind play. I noted the umpire at Sturts end called a free for Central down the other end. Iles was on the ground shaking his head for a while. Did he get reported?
I reckon Sturt V Glenelg GF, though I was hoping for the Crows to make the "yes" clubs pay for their vote.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:05 pm

Dogs64 wrote:My son reckons Joshua Hone punched Billy Iles in the head behind play. I noted the umpire at Sturts end called a free for Central down the other end. Iles was on the ground shaking his head for a while. Did he get reported?
I reckon Sturt V Glenelg GF, though I was hoping for the Crows to make the "yes" clubs pay for their vote.

On the telly it looked like Grivell ran into him, more of a bump, when he wasn't expecting.

It looked a bit odd, Grivell's opponent ran from the goal square on about a 45 whereas he ran straight out from goals. It didn't look like Iles, who was standing by his opponent, took off and they got in each others' way. Nor could it have been a block to help the Sturt player lead coz the ball was too far away. I reckon he'd get a week
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby another grub » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:08 pm

Iles was being a cock prior, deserved it
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:17 pm

Yeah, didn't see what happened before but thought it would have to be some sort of retaliation.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby northerner » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Jim05 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Montgomerie was cut by Essendon and I’d imagine Hately will be cut by the Crows so both should end up at Elizabeth unless they get decent offers from the country

Indications appear that both will be with the Dogs if not picked up elsewhere.

The interesting one is Schiller. I cannot imagine Grant and Schiller both being on the ground at the same time, and definitely not in the centre square.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 437 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:27 pm

northerner wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Indications appear that both will be with the Dogs if not picked up elsewhere.

The interesting one is Schiller. I cannot imagine Grant and Schiller both being on the ground at the same time, and definitely not in the centre square.

You won't have to worry about that,
I've recently been informed that T. Schiller has signed on for another year in England.
What WOULD be nice would be to grab Fort IF he gets de-listed.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL