stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Re: 2023 Grand Final, Glenelg v Sturt

Postby Pseudo » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:47 pm

Well that was enjoyable.

Spent the game in the sun in front of the scoreboard, which was wall to wall with (mostly) black and gold. Many familiar faces and a number of occasionals made for excellent camaraderie and atmosphere through the game.

Caught the second half of the reserves which was a cracker; could have gone either way. Took some last minute heroics by Cooper Beecken to clutch the win.

In the main game, Bays well on top for three quarters, without ever being able to put Sturt away. Thought the Blues would wilt in the final term but much to their credit they dug deep and dominated. Couldn't make the most of their chances though. Perhaps ironically it was when Frederick goaled that I thought the Bays were home ... Sturt had had a massive crack, but it had still taken them 9 minutes to score the first goal of the term. They were nearly spent and they weren't going to bridge the gap.

Two premiership wins, two goalless games for Liam McBean. Curious that Josh Hone couldn't kick a goal either. Both of 'em had their chances though I reckon McBean was better held by his opponents.

Might have given Jack Oatey to Gerloff myself, but Hosie's 6 goals makes him more than worthy. Kenneth, Jack, a premiership medallion AND the Coles Value Player Award (tm) - he'll be walking with a stoop, with all the weight around his neck.

Back to the hallowed ground for banter with many of the people that I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with during the season. Home with an armful of fresh merch. Wake this morning and make the daily constitutional walk sporting a new Tshirt, past the shop to grab a copy of the 'Tiser. Back to the clubrooms for lunch, where a number of the more rusted-on fans drifted in over the afternoon. Thomas was conspicuously absent, but the Reserves Cup (which doesn't have a name?) was there. Back home, I'm bushed. Still got to back up for the chimney tomorrow.

Kudos to Sturt for making a game out of it, for making it a victory worth having. Mattner's comments after the game were well made (though I had to watch the replay to hear them - couldn't hear jack on the hill).

Thanks also to the well wishers in this thread, and for the SAfooty folk in general, whose banter during the season helps to make the working week tolerable. How good is footy?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:33 pm

Pseudo wrote:Well that was enjoyable.

Spent the game in the sun in front of the scoreboard, which was wall to wall with (mostly) black and gold. Many familiar faces and a number of occasionals made for excellent camaraderie and atmosphere through the game.

Caught the second half of the reserves which was a cracker; could have gone either way. Took some last minute heroics by Cooper Beecken to clutch the win.

In the main game, Bays well on top for three quarters, without ever being able to put Sturt away. Thought the Blues would wilt in the final term but much to their credit they dug deep and dominated. Couldn't make the most of their chances though. Perhaps ironically it was when Frederick goaled that I thought the Bays were home ... Sturt had had a massive crack, but it had still taken them 9 minutes to score the first goal of the term. They were nearly spent and they weren't going to bridge the gap.

Two premiership wins, two goalless games for Liam McBean. Curious that Josh Hone couldn't kick a goal either. Both of 'em had their chances though I reckon McBean was better held by his opponents.

Might have given Jack Oatey to Gerloff myself, but Hosie's 6 goals makes him more than worthy. Kenneth, Jack, a premiership medallion AND the Coles Value Player Award (tm) - he'll be walking with a stoop, with all the weight around his neck.

Back to the hallowed ground for banter with many of the people that I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with during the season. Home with an armful of fresh merch. Wake this morning and make the daily constitutional walk sporting a new Tshirt, past the shop to grab a copy of the 'Tiser. Back to the clubrooms for lunch, where a number of the more rusted-on fans drifted in over the afternoon. Thomas was conspicuously absent, but the Reserves Cup (which doesn't have a name?) was there. Back home, I'm bushed. Still got to back up for the chimney tomorrow.

Kudos to Sturt for making a game out of it, for making it a victory worth having. Mattner's comments after the game were well made (though I had to watch the replay to hear them - couldn't hear jack on the hill).

Thanks also to the well wishers in this thread, and for the SAfooty folk in general, whose banter during the season helps to make the working week tolerable. How good is footy?

Sh!t, but thanks for asking. :D
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:07 pm

Congratulations to the Bays and fans.

The best team all year, they looked a cut above Sturt in size, strength and speed.

Sturt are to be commended for never giving up, but they seemed to lack a little flair to really threaten the Bays.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:32 pm

Go Tiges….
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:34 pm

Congrats to Glenelg. A complete effort. Sturt had a chance to get right back in the game early in the 2nd, but missed opportunities. Glenelg kicked goals just before the quarter and half time sirens - illustrative of their attention to detail and commitment for every moment of the game. That's the difference between being 5 goals up or 3 goal up at half time. Crucial. To Sturt's credit, they hung in, but every time they got to within a goal of maybe making a game of it and getting the crowd in voice, Glenelg would answer. I did think at 3/4 time the flood gates would open and Glenelg might wipe Sturt off the park, but Sturt never gave up and neither did Glenelg ever let up. A 4 goal margin in the end, but Glenelg never gave them a sniff.

What a story Darren Reeves is. A wicketkeeper from the Blue Mountains - found his way to Adelaide chasing a cricketing dream. Joined Salisbury Footy Club in 2003 and played 9 seasons including captaining a premiership. Taken to coaching like a duck to water - after a decade, including a stint with NT Thunder, gets an opportunity very late, after pre-season has started with Glenelg and pulls off something of a miracle. I believe Chris Fagan could be the first AFL coach since 1904 to win a premiership having not played at AFL/SANFL/WAFL/VFL level - albeit he had a distinguished playing career in Tasmania. With Reeves and Fagan, it just goes to show.

I think I counted about 8 Glenelg players who also played in the 2019 premiership and there must have been a fair amount who lost in 2021, having been the best side in the minor round that year also. That is a good solid core group of players who have bookended a very strong era for the Glenelg Footy Club, that may well not be over yet.

May the SANFL long continue to draw big crowds to its Grand Final on sunny spring days. Thanks to Glenelg and Sturt for their commitments, against the odds, to match and beat the cancerous AFL Reserves teams and keep a clean sheet of premiers marked on the T.S. Hill Premiership Cup and retain the SANFL competition as the best outside the AFL.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby stampy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:42 am

the player revolt to get rid of brett hand was vindicated, reeva knew what he was inheriting, the thought around the sanf was that we had the best list but not coach, our major problem last year was the lack of forward pressure when we didnt have the sherrin and he changed all that

the rest is history
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:19 am

stampy wrote:the player revolt to get rid of brett hand was vindicated, reeva knew what he was inheriting, the thought around the sanf was that we had the best list but not coach, our major problem last year was the lack of forward pressure when we didnt have the sherrin and he changed all that

the rest is history

In that context, the first 2 pages of this thread make for interesting reading.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby another grub » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:32 am

Where was Hosie on the Sunday?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:36 am

another grub wrote:Where was Hosie on the Sunday?

At full forward? :?
Pseudo
Coach

Postby stampy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:39 am

Pseudo wrote:
another grub wrote:Where was Hosie on the Sunday?

At full forward? :?

think he means yesty lol

heard that he rocked up late, very late
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby stampy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:53 am

i see the sturt cheer squad were up to their usual antics, security and police involved, some idiots removed from the ground
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:59 am

stampy wrote:i see the sturt cheer squad were up to their usual antics, security and police involved, some idiots removed from the ground

Yet the club still does nothing about them.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby stampy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:05 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
stampy wrote:i see the sturt cheer squad were up to their usual antics, security and police involved, some idiots removed from the ground

Yet the club still does nothing about them.

yep, has been going on for a good 15yrs, so newbies have been added in that time, sue needs to act
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:14 pm

Well done Max Proud on a great career.
Was lucky to watch him develop as a player from age 14.
He just quietly went about his footy career and turned out to be a star.
All class and a great leader.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby StrayDog » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:32 pm

Yeah, two instances a couple of weeks back at the 1st Semi. One presumably busted consuming something they shouldn't have been, the other I'm not sure about but neither seemed too surprised.

One other bloke, some squat, window licking Dunning-Kruger exemplar seemed more concerned with standing and preaching the rule book one syllable at a time to the northern hill for two hours than watching the game. Then charged up to a family and tested his luck acting the heavy when the game was over.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:49 pm

StrayDog wrote:One other bloke, some squat, window licking Dunning-Kruger exemplar ....

I had to google that. :lol:
Pseudo
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:07 pm

I hope Brett is well though.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:25 pm

DOC wrote:I hope Brett is well though.

Turner or Hand?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL