Extra free to air channels

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Extra free to air channels

Postby Sploosh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:21 pm

So, One has been going or a while now. What do you think? Anything extra for free is good, for sure, and I like that the Formula 1 stuff is all on live, but generally there seems to be way too much "Trampoline basketball" and suchlike rubbish.

Also, when the heck are channels 7 and 9 actually going to get something going?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Extra free to air channels

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:41 pm

you'd think with all the extra airtime, one of the channels could buy the weekly SANFL/VFL/WAFL telecasts from the ABC and show them.

In fact you'd think the ABC might have come to its senses by now and be showing them itself.... :evil:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby brod » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Bloody crazy that 7 & 9 have these extra channels with virtually identical things on.
At least ABC have different shows on ABC 2 and now have ABC 3 (kids channel is my understanding) in the pipeline
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Pseudo wrote:you'd think with all the extra airtime, one of the channels could buy the weekly SANFL/VFL/WAFL telecasts from the ABC and show them.

In fact you'd think the ABC might have come to its senses by now and be showing them itself.... :evil:

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when ABC2 would show these games during the week, or am I getting that mixed up with the Fox Footy Channel?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Interceptor » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:26 pm

dedja wrote:
Pseudo wrote:you'd think with all the extra airtime, one of the channels could buy the weekly SANFL/VFL/WAFL telecasts from the ABC and show them.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when ABC2 would show these games during the week, or am I getting that mixed up with the Fox Footy Channel?

No, you're absolutely correct, but the f-wits in Sydney decided that "no, we can't have that" and removed the replays.

There was a reasonably strong campaign to get it re-instated, but to no avail :(
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 pm

dedja wrote:

nope They cut it because it wasn't in the National interest and the Test Pattern was deemed more important :evil:

That is what sh1ts me about Digital TV atm. Seven have 5 channels operating the maximum allowed I think under the laws and they show exactly the same bloody thing at the same time :shock: At least stagger it FFS so if people miss a show can still catch it :roll:. Channel 9 only have 2 channels operating normal C9 and a HD version which does exactly the same as 7 90% of the time.

I don't mind what ONE shows but they are lacking a bit of content at present due to the NBA & NFL off-season. Baseball is on at the wrong times of the day. They are showing Australian Motorsports that have hardly had any coverage. Also I have become an armchair critic of Netball for obvious reasons ;) ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby zipzap » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Does anyone else find it pathetic that Channel 9 has finally got its HD channel going and the best they can come up with are distinctly non-HD reruns of Seinfeld, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched FFS! Beyond useless. :evil:
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Sploosh » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Have to admit, One did a great job of replaying Mark Webber's F1 victory last night. A perfect example of channel ten actually using their HD station in a positive way. Come on 7 and 9, lift your game!
Sploosh
Under 18s

Postby dedja » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:33 pm

zipzap wrote:Does anyone else find it pathetic that Channel 9 has finally got its HD channel going and the best they can come up with are distinctly non-HD reruns of Seinfeld, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched FFS! Beyond useless. :evil:

That's because James isn't as interested in TV like Daddy was ... you are correct as Ch9 haven't branded HD as anything other than a spill over channel.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:15 am

New free-to-air channel announced
Nine Network CEO, Mr David Gyngell, today announced a brand new multi-channel in Australia, to be called GO!
Coming in August to free-to-air television via channel 99, GO! will be bringing the young, and young at heart, more choice and entertainment than ever before.

The new free to air channel will bring the offering through Freeview TV to a total of 13 channels*.

Mr Gyngell said the GO! channel will offer a range of programs with a focus on the 14 -39-year-old audience demographic.

“Typical programs on GO! will be favourites such as Gossip Girl, The Hills, FRINGE, Terminator - Sarah Connor Chronicles, Weeds, The Wire, Survivor, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, CSI and hit comedy series Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

“And later this year GO! will broadcast the most anticipated new show of the US television season, The Vampire Diaries, which is about a high school girl torn between two rival vampire brothers.

“This multi-channel is a natural evolution for Nine and for free-to-air television,” Mr Gyngell said.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Drop Bear » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:49 am

Glad it's free because I wouldn't pay for the shit that they run.....and replay......and replay....and replay. One would be good if I was into netball.
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Gozu » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:22 pm

That will be good with the Terminator series but given that Channel 9 had the rights to the first series and FOX8 are currently showing the second series it would lead me to think it would just be repeats on that first series.

I love it and thinks it's a great show and wouldn't mind recording both series now instead of having to buy both seasons on DVD.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby brod » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:28 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:New free-to-air channel announced
Nine Network CEO, Mr David Gyngell, today announced a brand new multi-channel in Australia, to be called GO!
Coming in August to free-to-air television via channel 99, GO! will be bringing the young, and young at heart, more choice and entertainment than ever before.

The new free to air channel will bring the offering through Freeview TV to a total of 13 channels*.

Mr Gyngell said the GO! channel will offer a range of programs with a focus on the 14 -39-year-old audience demographic.

“Typical programs on GO! will be favourites such as Gossip Girl, The Hills, FRINGE, Terminator - Sarah Connor Chronicles, Weeds, The Wire, Survivor, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, CSI and hit comedy series Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

“And later this year GO! will broadcast the most anticipated new show of the US television season, The Vampire Diaries, which is about a high school girl torn between two rival vampire brothers

“This multi-channel is a natural evolution for Nine and for free-to-air television,” Mr Gyngell said.

It sounds like Mrs Brod has her own channel now :roll:
brod
Coach

Postby Sploosh » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm

What channel number will "Go" be on? I saw some ad saying we would need to re-scan with the remote, but I didn't need to for One...
Sploosh
Under 18s

Postby footy1992 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Sploosh wrote:What channel number will "Go" be on? I saw some ad saying we would need to re-scan with the remote, but I didn't need to for One...

yea alot f the new tv's automaticallt scan for new channels
footy1992
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby hearts on fire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:37 pm

What is this new channel, what is on it?
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby brod » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:32 am

Sploosh wrote:What channel number will "Go" be on? I saw some ad saying we would need to re-scan with the remote, but I didn't need to for One...

According to the press release a couple of posts up, it will be on 99.

And less than a week until it starts :roll:
brod
Coach

Postby smac » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:44 am

One had been operating as Ten for some time prior to launching, 99 is a new channel altogether. A fresh scan will pick it up.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby zipzap » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:42 pm

brod wrote:

According to the press release a couple of posts up, it will be on 99.

And less than a week until it starts :roll:

I'm just hoping we get Gilligan's Island to go with I Dream of Jeannie
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby brod » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Thought it was starting on Sunday, but cant seem to see it on any online TV guide :roll:
brod
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment