Prisoner

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Prisoner

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Loving it that Prisoner is on 111 at the moment. Bea Smith is one of Australa's all time greatest characters. There's some excellent writing in this script although the coppers who were in the siege with the gormless Colin Burke didn't seem all that much brighter than he did ha ha.

Bea never fails to crack me up, at least once an episode. While some of the characters are painful I never get sick of Queen Bea. The only downside was my brother in law insisting on singing 'on the inside' when the show ended the other night.

As a singer he makes a good Gridiron player.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1820 times

Re: Prisoner

Postby sapaul » Mon May 02, 2011 3:55 am

Loving it too.

Kerry Armstrong was hot back then and still is.

Some of the acting is a bit wooden. The Monica and Noelene characters anyway.

Love if 111 start showing more Aussie stuff.
sapaul
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: South Whyalla

Postby CK » Tue May 03, 2011 9:26 am

Great to see it back on TV. Wish that a Digital free-to-air like Eleven had picked it up first, though.

Would hope that a few of the older Australian shows would make it back to digital, such as The Sullivans.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Dissident » Tue May 03, 2011 10:43 am

From what I can recall, I believe it's the largest "box set" available, episode-wise.

I think all 800 episodes (or just under that) are in one box set.
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby Brucetiki » Wed May 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Dissident wrote:From what I can recall, I believe it's the largest "box set" available, episode-wise.

Yep all 692 episodes are available in a box set. Cheapest I saw one was just under $1100 at Kmart a few years ago. Most, if not all, would have been snapped up by now as the box set was a limited release.

The 40 volumes of DVD's have also been released. I ended up getting mine this way, and they were all signed by Val Lehman. Some pretty good commentaries on some of the eps as well (my favourites would be the Amanda Muggleton and Julianne Newbould one around the late 200's and the 692 commentary with Lois Collinder and Glenda Linscott). The box set also had a DVD of bonus features, such as Lizzie Birdsworthisms (was on YouTube for awhile, but was taken down unfortuately).

TBH, I haven't watched much of the eps on 111Hits as I'm going through a run with my DVD's and am about 300 episodes ahead of 111Hits, but I am glad that it's finally back on TV after an 8 year absence (the last run was on UKTV from 1997-2003).
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 198 times
Been liked: 34 times

Postby Dirko » Wed May 04, 2011 2:22 pm

CK wrote:Would hope that a few of the older Australian shows would make it back to digital, such as The Sullivans.

Oath ! A Country Practise.

I wanna see Molly die again :twisted:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brucetiki » Wed May 04, 2011 2:47 pm

sapaul wrote:Loving it too.

Kerry Armstrong was hot back then and still is.

Some of the acting is a bit wooden. The Monica and Noelene characters anyway.

Love if 111 start showing more Aussie stuff.

Wait until the mid-late 500's with the Barnhurst 5 and Jenny Hartley. The acting is more wooden than the sets!
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby smithy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:17 am

I'm loving Prisoner being back on.
Great show, and as mentioned, some great script writing.
Later on, Ian Smith, who was Harold in neighbours, wrote many scripts for the show and appeared many times.
He deserves great credit on this show.
As for the early characters, Peita Toppano was definitely the sexiest out of the lot.
smithy

Postby Brucetiki » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:59 pm

smithy wrote:I'm loving Prisoner being back on.
Later on, Ian Smith, who was Harold in neighbours, wrote many scripts for the show and appeared many times.
As for the early characters, Peita Toppano was definitely the sexiest out of the lot.

Ian Smith - went from Ted Douglas to Pixie Mason's Dad in the space of something like 8 episodes. Also played one of the cops who arrested Joan Ferguson in the very last episode.

It's also fantastic that quite a few of the cast, particularly the Bea Smith era cast, embrace the show and still do many Prisoner-related appearances, especially in the UK (where it became a real cult hit and is where the official fan club is based).
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby CK » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:05 am

Brucetiki wrote:
smithy wrote:I'm loving Prisoner being back on.

Ian Smith - went from Ted Douglas to Pixie Mason's Dad in the space of something like 8 episodes. Also played one of the cops who arrested Joan Ferguson in the very last episode.

It's also fantastic that quite a few of the cast, particularly the Bea Smith era cast, embrace the show and still do many Prisoner-related appearances, especially in the UK (where it became a real cult hit and is where the official fan club is based).

I can't remember the actor's name, was Steve someone, who said in an interview once, after having played five different characters on the show, "Overseas viewers must have thought there was a real shortage of actors in Australia" :D
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby GWW » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:44 pm

smithy wrote:As for the early characters, Peita Toppano was definitely the sexiest out of the lot.

I always rated Kerry Armstrong. Linda Stoner too.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Brucetiki » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:10 pm

GWW wrote:
smithy wrote:As for the early characters, Peita Toppano was definitely the sexiest out of the lot.

I always rated Kerry Armstrong. Linda Stoner too.

Lynda was in much, much later though. Loved her character (Eve Wilder) as it was the beginning of the end of the infamous Barnhurst 5 + Jenny Hartley storylines (and it meant Rita 'the beater' Connors) wasn't far away (Rita's arrival was the same episode Eve beat Joyce Barry senseless resulting in Joyce's 'wig')
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby GWW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher) featuring in episodes at the moment, in addition to Lou Carpenter (Tom Oliver).

Only watch it when home on a day off, but its always good to check out this classic Aussie drama when I get the chance :)
GWW

Postby Brucetiki » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:34 pm

GWW wrote:Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher) featuring in episodes at the moment, in addition to Lou Carpenter (Tom Oliver).

Only watch it when home on a day off, but its always good to check out this classic Aussie drama when I get the chance :)

He plays 2 more diffetent characters later in the show (a Sydney drug lord then Governor of Blackmoor). Interestingly, the buildings used for Blackmoor is now the Scienceworx Museum!
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm

GWW wrote:Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher) featuring in episodes at the moment, in addition to Lou Carpenter (Tom Oliver).

Geoff Butler blew up Jim Fletcher's family in last night's episode. Never forget the classic line which should be on either tonight or Friday

'That Leila was a bitch and nobody would miss those boys' ha ha.

Go Geoff Butler.

regards

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby GWW » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:42 am

I had a bit of a chuckle when I realised this bloke

hosted a kids quiz show from the early 80's that I used to watch.

Another unrelated character on the show, I remember being played by Louise Siverson. She was one nasty piece of work. I'm thinking she was in later episodes towards mid 80's.
GWW

Postby Brucetiki » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 am

GWW wrote:I had a bit of a chuckle when I realised this bloke

hosted a kids quiz show from the early 80's that I used to watch.

Another unrelated character on the show, I remember being played by Louise Siverson. She was one nasty piece of work. I'm thinking she was in later episodes towards mid 80's.

That's gold about David Bridges!

Louise Siverson played Lou Kelly (though she also had a single episode role as a shopkeeper earlier in the series). Started out as an extra and made her way to be the main villain of the show from the late 400's to the early 600's.
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:11 pm

The Jock Stewart episodes are on now. What a great accent and what a truly evil screw he was. Sometimes when you watch Prisoner you might have gotten the feeling it was pretty cosy in there but it looks pretty scary after Jock Stewart throws Sharon Gilmour down the stairs and gives Doreen a backhander in her cell.

Go the Gogomobil man.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Dissident wrote:From what I can recall, I believe it's the largest "box set" available, episode-wise.

Yep all 692 episodes are available in a box set. Cheapest I saw one was just under $1100 at Kmart a few years ago. Most, if not all, would have been snapped up by now as the box set was a limited release.

The 40 volumes of DVD's have also been released. I ended up getting mine this way, and they were all signed by Val Lehman. Some pretty good commentaries on some of the eps as well (my favourites would be the Amanda Muggleton and Julianne Newbould one around the late 200's and the 692 commentary with Lois Collinder and Glenda Linscott). The box set also had a DVD of bonus features, such as Lizzie Birdsworthisms (was on YouTube for awhile, but was taken down unfortuately).

The box set has been re-released. Now available for $699 - considering they're charging $41per individual volume if you can fork out $699 that's a bargain!

http://www.prisoner-cellblockh.com.au/index.html
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Postby GWW » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Will be interesting to see how this goes:

http://www.foxtel.com.au/whats-on/foxte ... 162336.htm
GWW