General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:31 am

Dogwatcher wrote:White Gold - watched it on the weekend.
I don't think the creators could make up their mind about what they were trying to achieve. Comedy? Drama?
The 80s music became too much of a gimmick - used at every opportunity, almost as if they wanted to get the happy vibes bouncing around so you'd think "this show's actually worth watching".
I loved Inbetweeners because those characters were of their age, but these blokes are meant to be a lot older in this show and they're carrying on the same way (similar to Seann William Scott playing Stiffler in every role that followed American Pie).

Agree. The music is great though, but it was the only thing compelling me to keep watching.

The problem IMO is the main protagonist ('Vince"?) is written and cast to be likeable larrikin lad with some ambition who's a bit naughty and cheeky but has enough charm and wit to win you over nonetheless. Unfortunately he comes across a completely unlikable arsehole, more Gordon Gecko than Ferris Bueller. I ended up not caring about how many windows he sold, what happened if he got sprung cheating on his wife, or how he was going to dodge the taxman.

The banter between the other two lads in the saleroom was a bit one-dimensional for my liking.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 am

bennymacca wrote:parks and rec is one of the best comedies ever. especially after season 1 where lesley was annoying, but they changed her character

Absolutely. They managed to maintain a consistently high comic standard across all 8 (IIRC) seasons.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Grenville » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Vice Principals, piss funny show. Finally had Series 2 start Monday and still gold.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby JK » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 am

Anyone been watching "The Deuce" on Fox or HBO? I find NY at that point in time interesting, and the seedier part of life always holds my interest. James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal are always great and this is no exception. Needs to get a wriggle on with the storyline though I think.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 am

JK wrote:Anyone been watching "The Deuce" on Fox or HBO? I find NY at that point in time interesting, and the seedier part of life always holds my interest. James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal are always great and this is no exception. Needs to get a wriggle on with the storyline though I think.

Agree on all points

I have been watching it but yesterday found myself on SAFooty while watching as it couldnt keep my attention.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:10 am

The Ash Man wrote:
JK wrote:Anyone been watching "The Deuce" on Fox or HBO? I find NY at that point in time interesting, and the seedier part of life always holds my interest. James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal are always great and this is no exception. Needs to get a wriggle on with the storyline though I think.

Agree on all points

I have been watching it but yesterday found myself on SAFooty while watching as it couldnt keep my attention.

Yeah was sort of the same thing for 3 weeks in a row without any sign of new development in the storyline
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 am

The Ash Man wrote:

Agree on all points

Would definitely have a look but don't have Fox. Sounds a bit like "Vinyl" except dodgier.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 am

Has anyone had a squiz at "Electric Dreams" on Stan?

If you're into "Black Mirror" then this show is most definitely your cup of tea.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Mic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Magellan wrote:Has anyone had a squiz at "Electric Dreams" on Stan?

If you're into "Black Mirror" then this show is most definitely your cup of tea.

I am so will definitely check it out.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

I rate this show very much. It's a cracker
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Gozu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:53 pm

I have started watching it yet but I'm very keen.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 am

Started watching Designated Survivor and am hooked. Its like a cross between House of Cards and Homeland.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 am

Mic wrote:

I am so will definitely check it out.

Speaking of 'Black Mirror', here's the skinny on the upcoming season 4:

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/745219/black-mirror-netflix-season-4-release-date-cast-latest-news-rumours
Magellan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:07 pm

I've tried to get through the first episode of season three of Narcos several times but struggled, I assume it amps up, just didn't seem the same without Pablo.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby LMA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:I've tried to get through the first episode of season three of Narcos several times but struggled, I assume it amps up, just didn't seem the same without Pablo.

Yeah it's not the same without Pablo but stick with it, I had a few false starts this season but once I was away I finished it quickly. I've always found it hard to switch on to watch subtitled content.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Speaking of subtitled content, I watched Midnight Sun on SBS Demand and thought it was pretty good, gruesome opening scene.
Also on Demand The Handmaid's Tale is well worth a watch, unlike anything I've seen and disturbing at times.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am

LMA wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I've tried to get through the first episode of season three of Narcos several times but struggled, I assume it amps up, just didn't seem the same without Pablo.

Yeah it's not the same without Pablo but stick with it, I had a few false starts this season but once I was away I finished it quickly. I've always found it hard to switch on to watch subtitled content.

Cheers, I'll try it again after I finish Designated Survivor.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 am

For those of you, like me, who don't have Fox you can record/series link "The Back Page" weekly sports wrap on Saturday afternoons.

Certainly isn't the same as when I last had Fox and Gibbo, Crash Craddock, Billy Birmingham etc ran the show but it's still a good look at the light hearted side of the week in sport.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Ash Man » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 am

JK wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:

Agree on all points

Yeah was sort of the same thing for 3 weeks in a row without any sign of new development in the storyline

Well the season finished and I still don't think it went anywhere!
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Watched the first season of Stranger Things. Not bad but not great.
Was like a cross between ET, Close Encounters, Alien and Predator but a lot slower.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment