Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Netflix

Postby Magellan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:47 am

Booney wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Just started Narcos Mexico

I struggled to get into this one.

Yeah, I started it too but didn't finish.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:17 am

Anyone had a look at "The Devil Next Door"? Heard about this last night, sounds really interesting - true crime doco a la 'Making a Murderer,' but with a former Nazi concentration camp officer who is tracked down 40-odd years later in Cleveland and prosecuted in Israel.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Not sure I’m getting into this one as much as the original
Still in Series 1: does it get better?

I stuck with it. Episodes 6 - 10 were much better
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Magellan wrote:Anyone had a look at "The Devil Next Door"? Heard about this last night, sounds really interesting - true crime doco a la 'Making a Murderer,' but with a former Nazi concentration camp officer who is tracked down 40-odd years later in Cleveland and prosecuted in Israel.

Yeah, watched it over the weekend, had a few surprising twists & turns you don't see coming. The Jewish lawyer representing ''I'm not Ivan the Terrible'' is quite an unlikeable chap.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Magellan wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
Magellan wrote:Anyone else having a look at "Living with Yourself" with Paul Rudd?

We're halfway through, and I like it, and I'm not a great fan of Rudd's work. It's like a slightly light-humored version of an episode of Black Mirror, so if you like that show then I think you might get into it. Episodes are short (about 25 minutes), so you can binge your way though it pretty quickly.

Rudd plays two version of himself, and does a very good job I must admit, and is mainly playing it straight. Its also got a great electronica soundtrack that sounds like an 80s computer game, which suits the unusual vibe of the show.

Yeah wasn’t to bad.

Fair call. Having watched the whole thing, I reckon it ran out of steam a bit towards the end, and I'm not sure I was satisfied with the ending.

I agree with that. Started losing a bit of interest towards the end. I thought the ending was a little bit weak.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:21 am

Peaky Blinders - Season 3 discussion, don't look if you aren't well into Season 3.

Middle of season 3, Grace just got killed, the Russians are making life uncomfortable for Tommy Shelby. Cracking show, why wasn't I watching this sooner?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Watched The King last night, based (loosely I believe) on the rise of King Henry IV. If you don't get caught up in the historical inaccuracies it's a pretty good watch. Aussies Ben Mendelsohn and Joel Edgerton are their typically excellent selves, particularly Edgerton. Worth a look, be around a solid 7/10. Oh yeah, there's a few scenes that feel like they've been borrowed from GOT, good if you're a Thrones fan I suppose.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Just finished it and Season 2 looks like its going to heat up with the gringos hitting back.
I'm looking forward to Season 2 now
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Just finished it and Season 2 looks like its going to heat up with the gringos hitting back.
I'm looking forward to Season 2 now

If you haven't already watched it, you might like Queen of the South - another drug cartel related series
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby LMA » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Booney wrote:Peaky Blinders - Season 3 discussion, don't look if you aren't well into Season 3.

Middle of season 3, Grace just got killed, the Russians are making life uncomfortable for Tommy Shelby. Cracking show, why wasn't I watching this sooner?

How good is Tom Hardy as Alfie in this show.

Highly recommend Luther and Line of Duty, 2 other pommy shows on Netflix, different to Peakys but high in suspense and A grade acting.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Magellan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Magellan wrote:Anyone had a look at "The Devil Next Door"? Heard about this last night, sounds really interesting - true crime doco a la 'Making a Murderer,' but with a former Nazi concentration camp officer who is tracked down 40-odd years later in Cleveland and prosecuted in Israel.

Yeah, watched it over the weekend, had a few surprising twists & turns you don't see coming. The Jewish lawyer representing ''I'm not Ivan the Terrible'' is quite an unlikeable chap.

Started to look at this - definitely worth it. Raises an interesting question about how someone accused of war crimes (or more specifically, whether he is a recognised war criminal) could get a fair trial in somewhere like Israel where the Holocaust had such a significant effect.

Yes, that defense lawyer is a knob.
Magellan
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:36 am

Magellan wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

Started to look at this - definitely worth it. Raises an interesting question about how someone accused of war crimes (or more specifically, whether he is a recognised war criminal) could get a fair trial in somewhere like Israel where the Holocaust had such a significant effect.

Yes, that defense lawyer is a knob.

i found this interesting too...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 am

Magellan wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:"Dark" is worth a look if you're into "Stranger Things." It's a German production (and unfortunately, dubbed into American English) set in a small town with a nuclear reactor, some spooky underground caves, and a history of kids going missing. The plot plays out in 2019 and 1986, and there's a bit of time travel involved. The story starts to get a bit tough to negotiate because you've got the same characters existing in two time zones, and there are quite a few characters. Nevertheless, it's worth your time if you like something a bit thought provoking.

Just started this myself, 2 years hence ... your post is the only mention I could find of it here. Am finding it hard to keep tabs on the characters; find myself having to read episode summaries after each episode to make sure I have things straight. I was pissed off by the dubbed English by ten minutes in to the first episode, so I changed the audio to German and turned on the subtitles. Not uninteresting, and I do like the German take on the '80s (e.g. a trio of German school kids discussing the merits of Falco), but I'm not sure that I'll go the distance - yet.

Yes, dubbing was a pain in the arse, from memory.

I think there's second season of it, yeah?

Well by halfway through the first season, it had enough hooks into me to drag me through to the conclusion (of season one). The show was, first and foremost, a soap opera - but with a lot of David Lynch "Twin Peaks" and Terry Gilliam's "12 Monkeys" mixed in. I was a bit disappointed with the conclusion, insofar as there wasn't one... a number of plot threads were left open (what came of Hannah's directive to Aleksandr to destroy Ulrich?) and a new thread just begun, clearly trying to move seamlessly into the second season. Not sure that I'll watch season 2 immediately, I reckon I need to let season one settle first. Trying to identify the same person in two or even three epochs is a bit taxing on the brain.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:56 pm

As much as I can't stand the monarchy, I really enjoyed kicking off season 3 of 'The Crown' last night. Olivia Colman looks (and sounds) the part as the middle-aged QE2 (the person, not the boat). Looking forward to seeing how they depict the late sixties and seventies in England.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:21 am

Magellan wrote:As much as I can't stand the monarchy, I really enjoyed kicking off season 3 of 'The Crown' last night. Olivia Colman looks (and sounds) the part as the middle-aged QE2 (the person, not the boat). Looking forward to seeing how they depict the late sixties and seventies in England.

I waited ALL Sunday for this to be released so I could binge watch - but they didn't add it until Sunday night when SVU was on.

So I'm waiting until this weekend now :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:25 am

Not Netflix but is anyone else getting Disney + ? WIll be getting it for sure. Looks awesome
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:37 am

Got home late last night so only saw one episode of Crown

Still very good although I don't think Liz & Backdoor are as good as the last two series

I really wonder whether Liz watches it and, if so, what one thinks about it :-k
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:15 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Not Netflix but is anyone else getting Disney + ? WIll be getting it for sure. Looks awesome

Yep no doubt our household will roll with it. Think you can get a free week intro.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment