Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: Netflix

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 pm

The Ash Man wrote:Last Chance U

Loved this.

I reckon the coach is not that good at his job
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Grenville » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Louis CK 2017. He still does good work.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:13 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

Loved this.

I agree with you.
Not so sure about the guidance counsellor, either. We'll, I'm sure about her, I'm just not sure she's good at her job. ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Part 2 of 'The Get Down' premiers April 7 (probably sometime the next day, our time).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:37 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Bates Motel

The Mrs has started watching it, is it worth it???

Absolutely it's a great show and Vera Farmiga and Nestor Carbonell are fantastic in it too.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Loved this.

I agree with you.
Not so sure about the guidance counsellor, either. We'll, I'm sure about her, I'm just not sure she's good at her job. ;)

:lol:

I always felt like something was odd about her in the way she interacted with the students! I don't want to be that guy, BUT c'mon! I just wish my guidance counsellor was as committed as her
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Over the past week I've knocked off some movies on my Netflix list-
No Country for Old Men.
Mercenary, a Netflix original flim about a young man from New Caledonia that travels to France to pursue a rugby career, not a bad film.
Pulp Fiction, embarrassing that I've never actually seen it, it is brilliant.
And this afternoon I watched Watchmen.

Now started watching The Last Kingdom, similar to Vikings but seems it's not as good.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby saintal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Watched "Look who's back" last night. Hitler awakens to find himself in 2014. He quickly turns his attention to fixing modern day Germany and unintentionally becomes a comedian.

Despite losing a bit of steam towards the end it was better than I was expecting. Quite amusing/clever.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 am

I watched the first two episodes of The Last Kingdom but got bored with it and gave up. After watching and loving Vikings I found The Last Kingdom to be mediocre. I have now started Luke Cage and was immediately interested and into it. I watched the second and third episodes yesterday, not as good as Daredevil but still worth watching.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:24 am

I just started watching Bates Motel. I enjoyed the first episode, but the Mrs wasn't keen on the rapey scenes, so we watched Pokemon XY instead.

I'll be picking this back up when I'm not playing video games.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 am

Started watching 13 reasons why last night. Thought I'd see what the hype is all about. 2 episodes in and it's not bad. Interesting story and it gives you just enough of a hook to make you want to watch the next episode. Teenagers can be real jerks though. And I am starting to see why people are a little concerned about some of the content.
But will continue to watch to see what happens
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:34 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Started watching 13 reasons why last night. Thought I'd see what the hype is all about. 2 episodes in and it's not bad. Interesting story and it gives you just enough of a hook to make you want to watch the next episode. Teenagers can be real jerks though. And I am starting to see why people are a little concerned about some of the content.
But will continue to watch to see what happens

The last episode is pretty full on. But at the same time, I found it made it seem like Hannah was doing a rational thing, which is a bit stupid, considering the target audience are impressionable teenagers who might make snap decisions.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I am 3 episodes in and find it interesting. I was speaking to someone at work about it this morning and we have different opinions of the show regarding the topic. Which is good because I think it opens up for some good discussion. He feels it glorifies the topic and I believe it does the complete opposite.. I think it highlights problems in today's society, especially teenagers! What as adults we pass off as nonsense, teenagers find it much worse!
Also it highlights the effect of bullying and the effect it has on people... i could go on but I'd be here for a while. It's a cruel world sometimes and I hope this show will show the main character in the show trying to get help, BUT if it's going to be realistic fair chance she won't. Plus I hope it points out that asking for help isn't a sign of weakness. But I think great strength.
I am certainly hooked and intrigued where it goes.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I didn't watch the whole thing. I missed a few episodes in the middle because the Mrs was watching it.

But from the way Hannah handled things, it seemed like more of a revenge thing. She did what she did and made people feel responsible. A few of the reasons were very petty stuff. I'd be more concerned that kids that are very slightly bullied see what she did as an acceptable way of getting back at people that may not have even known they were effecting them that much.

I think the message should have been more of a "shit happens, people are c**ts, here's how to get support and get through it" instead of "people were mean, so I killed myself and made them all feel bad".

After you see the end, you'll know why I think the whole thing could have been avoided, and how some of the people targeted as "reasons" probably shouldn't have been.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 pm

What a coincidence. This just popped up on my Facebook feed. I know it's Buzzfeed shit, but give it a read.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume ... .bjxnDYeQw

Here's some quotes to avoid any spoilers for people. There's a lot more to the article.

It’s a noble idea, but unfortunately it’s embedded in a show that doesn’t effectively explore mental health and that ultimately uses suicide as the catalyst for a revenge fantasy.

Kristen Douglas, a spokesperson for Australian youth mental health organisation Headspace, told BuzzFeed that the framing device of Hannah’s “reasons” is harmful and unrealistic. “She’s telling the story in a way that means she’s getting resolution about her suicide, and that’s not a reality. If young people die by suicide it’s very final; you don’t get to see the reaction of people, you don’t get to see the reaction of bullies, you don’t get to be involved in your own funeral. Sadly, I think young people sometimes don’t always fully understand the finality of death. You don’t get resolution about that.”

“If you’re a young person viewing this content, feeling entrapped, bullied, like things aren’t going to get better, like, ‘I wish I could tell these people to stop, they don’t know how far they’re pushing me’… this all of a sudden becomes a very real option,” she said.

Douglas said that Headspace has received an increase in teens, parents, and schools contacting them as a result of 13 Reasons Why, with many saying it has triggered suicidal thoughts. Others have taken to social media to express similar feelings. Their concern and pain is in stark contrast to the hundreds of memes, fan theories, and obsessive shipping the show has spawned. It highlights what is one of the biggest problems of all: at the end of the day, the show uses teen suicide as entertainment. While pop culture can and should explore such serious subjects, 13 Reasons Why does not do so in an effective, deep, or helpful way.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 pm

I finished Luke Cage today, impressive first series and great follow up to Daredevil.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 am

Just finished watching 13 reasons why! Very good show... Recomended viewing I reckon. Tough to watch though
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed May 10, 2017 6:58 am

Since I couldn't get the new AFL game on the weekend I have now started Jessica Jones, it's pretty good. The first episode was great and dragged me in straight away.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Grenville » Thu May 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Watching Black Books at the moment. It was always a series I'd wanted to watch and it is piss funny.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment