Fringe '18

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: Fringe '18

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Anyone seen 360 Allstars?

Taking the family on the weekend to see it.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am

bertiebeatle wrote:Comedy Gala was good on opening night. Mick Malloy surprised me and was very good. Terrance Mooney was my fave though and have heard from others that he has been great in his own shows.

I hope Terrance Mooney is better than Lawrence Mooney, the unfunniest wanker going around.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am

Wedgie wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:Comedy Gala was good on opening night. Mick Malloy surprised me and was very good. Terrance Mooney was my fave though and have heard from others that he has been great in his own shows.

I hope Terrance Mooney is better than Lawrence Mooney, the unfunniest wanker going around.

Saw Lawrence Mooney two years ago, and he was OK. However, he did a couple of minutes of his Malcolm Turnbull 'impression' (which this year's show is about), and it was pretty lame. One to miss, I'd say.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 am

Saw Rich Hall last night - very, very funny. Does mainly stand-up stuff, but with a number of offbeat songs that are also very funny. Definitely worth a look if you're up for something before the Fringe winds up.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:05 am

Saw these last weekend, don't know if they're still playing, but here you go:

Damian Callinan: Swing Man at RCC
Comedy about a bloke learning to dance over the course of his fiftysomething years. Enjoyable enough, with a few laughs coming from retro nostalgia. The bloke and his partner both know how to cuta groove on the dancefloor.
The RCC is a good location; not at all crowded and pleasant surroundings. We perched ourselves at the bar overlooking the Torrens and downed a bottle of rosé prior to the show.

Shitfaced Shakespeare at Gluttony
A troupe of six trained actors improvising Romeo and Juliet - with the twist that one of the troupe gets fully shickered before the show begins, and continues to down booze while performing. Interesting gimmick but I thought it fell a bit flat. The drunk cast member was a pest; the real joy came from watching the other actors as they ad-libbed around the situations created by the drunk one.
Gluttony is noticeably larger than it has been in years previous - and it has transformed into a shithole. Full of people wandering around or just looking for somewhere to hang out. Not my idea of fun.

Death At Hogwarts at Stirling
Improvised theatre based around a murder in the Harry Potter universe. It works like a game of cluedo: The six cast members all get a random selection of character, location and weapon; one of them also is tagged as the murderer and one as the victim, unknown to anyone but themselves. The cast then acts out the murder, dropping hints as to their locations and weapons, and the audience is expected to determine whodunit.
We went to this one for the kids, both of whom are avid Potter fans. Both enjoyed it; I didn't mind it either.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:07 am

Probably too late I know, but saw Best of the Ed Fest last night. Not as good as the previous year, but still sharp high-standard stand up.
Magellan
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Magellan wrote:Probably too late I know, but saw Best of the Ed Fest last night. Not as good as the previous year, but still sharp high-standard stand up.

Danny O'Brien is brilliant
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bertiebeatle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Went to a few shows in the end but Blanc De Blanc was by far the standout one i watched. Not a fan of cabaret but absolutely loved their show on the last night. Sold Out shows for most of the fringe normally is a good sign and it sure didn't disappoint. Will be watching them again next year
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:22 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:Went to a few shows in the end but Blanc De Blanc was by far the standout one i watched. Not a fan of cabaret but absolutely loved their show on the last night. Sold Out shows for most of the fringe normally is a good sign and it sure didn't disappoint. Will be watching them again next year

My wife went with a group of her friends and all loved it as well
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:23 pm

whufc wrote:
Magellan wrote:Probably too late I know, but saw Best of the Ed Fest last night. Not as good as the previous year, but still sharp high-standard stand up.

Danny O'Brien is brilliant

Yep, reckon he was the pick of this year's bunch.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 pm

On Friday night we went into the Fringe Club area after midnight when they have a few pop up free shows. First one was "Iron Maiden" which is a comedt show where the chick hula hoops to Gunners songs, was hilarious. Second one is hard to describe what it was, a woman came out dressed then danced around miming to a sound track story about having sex with John Holmes while getting her gear off then finished with pullong a cup of red dye out of her fanny mixing it with champers, drinking it and spitting it over herself. We thought WTF
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment